Two Under 2

If your first was a bad sleeper...

Did you plan 2u2? I've always wanted my kids close in age. Right now, DD is getting worse at sleeping at night. She's never STTN. She wakes up once but won't go back down. Same with putting her down initially now- screaming, crying. And forget about naps. If your first was a bad sleeper, did you plan 2u2? I'm beginning to think I'm crazy for wanting to try when she turns 1.

Danica 10.22.10 | Milo 12.23.12

PicMonkey Collage3

Re: If your first was a bad sleeper...

• DD1 was an awful sleeper until about 9 months.  She woke 4-5 times a night and didn't nap.  We had planned to start trying again when she turned 1, but God had other plans and I got a BFP when she was 4.5 months old.  The bad sleeping was particularly awful during the 1st tri because I had horrid m/s and was exhausted. 

All of a sudden, when DD1 was 9 months old, though, the sleeping improved dramatically.  She started STTN and napping regularly.  I was 6 months pg.  

Also, DD2 has been a much better-sleeping baby from the get-go.  So you could luck out and end up with an easier #2, as well.

Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • I dont think you're crazy for planning 2u2 with a bad sleeper. We planned 2u2 for what we wanted for the bigger picture of our life, not what was going to be hard for a brief moment in time. My DS slept crappy for a big chunk of my pregnancy (6.5 months-11 months) and I still lived to tell the tale. Luckily, my DD is a better sleeper so far *knocks on everything wooden within a 2 mile radius*  :)

GL with whatever you decide!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We didn't plan 2u2. DS was a pretty bad sleeper. He didn't STTN until a year but was only up once or twice a night from 8 months on. DD was an even worse sleeper! She didn't STTN until 16 or 17 months. GL! I don't think you're crazy :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD didn't STTN until 9 months when we sleep trained her (using the Baby Whisperer method). We did plan 2u2 though. We got pregnant around when DD was 4-5 months. We wanted our kids close so the sleep problem wasn't a factor in our decision, even though we were/are tired. DD was waking 9-11 times a night for her pacifier. Since sleep training her she STTN about 90% of the time...
    SAHM to the sweetest little girl and boy... I love my job!

Praying for Baby Camryn
    Praying for Baby Scarlett
    Remembering Baby Adam
  • Did not plan #2.

That being said, Peyton never slept through the night until maybe 14 months?  Even now she wakes up at 2am, a lot.  

Morgan was a normal newborn with her waking schedule (every 1 1/2 to 2 hours or so).  She was early though, so I had to make sure she ate as well.

Either way, Morgan now sleeps roughly 10pm to 5am.  Then she goes back to sleep until 8am or 9am.  

Peyton would scream all hours of the night and by 2am we'd be in the car trying to get her to sleep.

You just never know how a #2 will act, so don't base whether you want it or not on a single bad experience (sleep). 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• We planned it (based on fertility issues, time was of the essence - we were just lucky that we got a surprise BFP 2 months before heading back to the Dr).  DS was not a good sleeper until we ferbered at 6 months.  We got pg 2 weeks later.  Then when he started getting more teeth, he became a terrible sleeper again.  He was getting molars when DD was born, so the whole family was up at night - it was fabulous Wink

But DD is a wonderful sleeper.  She has always slept well, never needed sleep training, lays right down and goes to sleep quickly, sleeps through the night.  We have often said that we are eternally grateful that DS came first.  We really had no idea how easy it could be, and were pleasantly surprised!   

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS was a bad sleeper and yet we did plan to have #2 as close as we did (I got pregnant the first real "try"). We also knew that we would need to get his sleep in order before #2 arrived and followed the theories and practices of Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Weissbluth and got DS STTN and taking regular, scheduled naps. He is now a very good sleeper overall and had very minimal (if any) sleep disruptions when we brought DD home. Yes, we had to endure 2 hours of crying one night to cut his last overnight feeding at 9 months, and then a little less each night for about 4 nights, but he's been great pretty much ever since.
  • yeah. DD1 was horrible..when she was 1 year we decided to TTC soon even though she wasn't STTN yet AND we were still cosleeping. We got pregnant when she was 15 months old and she was still waking up and cosleeping at least part of the night. She started STTN by 18 months and we stopped cosleeping shortly thereafter. It went smoothly..we just put her in the crib one night and she sleep just fine. Guess she was ready.

DD2 is a slightly better sleeper..we don't cosleep and haven't since she was 3 months old [YAY!] but she still wakes up at night and it's hard to put her down. We are done at 2 [98% sure] so it's nice to know that the sleepless nights will soon be over with FOREVER! 

2 losses
    2 beautiful children
    proud mommy!
  • DS1 was a bad sleeper int he sense he never slept longer than 2-3 hours at a stretch until he was 13 months old.  DS2 is even worse - he won't let me put him down :(  I actually am glad we're getting all this bad sleep out of the way at the same time, and won't ever have to do it again.  I can't imagine going BACK after say, 3 years of good sleep.  haha.
  • sort of. We were ttc for 1 month and then I decided to wait due to lack of sleep, but I was already pregnant. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"