Houston Babies

When should we start looking for daycare?

Sorry if this gets asked often.  I tried looking a few pages back but didn't see anything.  When should we start looking for daycare for our LO?  This is our first, so I have no idea when I need to start researching these types of things.  I live near Kingwood if that matters.  Recommendations are welcome too!

Est. 10/06, DD 03/12

Re: When should we start looking for daycare?

• I started about 25 weeks pregnant and found that it was plenty early for the daycares in The Woodlands.  I'd guess other suburbs would be the same.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Depends on your area.  I think we started looking around 30 wks? and the one we wanted was booked almost 11 months out.  We ended up getting in when DS was around 8 months old, but we had to find another daycare for the time before that.  I would say at least get to know the DCs in your area and start getting recommendations now.  It doesn't hurt to call and just ask around what the waiting list looks like now, then make your decision later (if you have time).  But like pp said - it varies depending the area you are in.

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah, I started looking in Sugar Land when I was about 25-30 weeks along and it was plenty. I think there are a lot more stay-at-home moms in my area. What we found the most challenging was finding a location relatively close to home and both of our jobs (since we share drop off/pick up duties) that didn't break the bank.

We were lucky to get a rec from a Nestie on a daycare that was just starting up. DS has been there since he was 12 weeks old and is very happy there. It is also nice to know that if/when we have another baby we can afford to send them both.

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
    18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
    BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
    BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

• I just started my visits to centers this week (was only looking for in-home at first) and I've found that I'm a little ahead of the game, but that's nice!  Gives us some time to make a decision.  I'm a teacher, so I wanted to be able to visit in the middle of the day and summer off allows me to do that.
  • I don't live in Houston but I called the one we use when I was 14 weeks and they were already booked out 10 months. So I would start looking now.
  • Hey there, I'm in Sugar Land and just moved there. Where did you end up having your baby go? I'm really nervous about it, and I can't break my bank either. Any suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"