Nurseries and Baby Gear

diy baby bedding

I cant find any bedding that I am happy with. I am pretty handy with a sewing maching, and want to make my own. Has anyone else done this? would you have any tips for doing such? I was thinking about getting one of those mesh bumpers, but still am on the fence....Thanks a bunch!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: diy baby bedding

• Did it w/ #1..all I can say is I loved the end result, but it took tons of time and actually cost more than the sets..but alas at the time there was nothing we wanted out there.  We got tons of compliments, but it has long since been retired and we a purchasing a set for #2.

In the end I say if time and $$ aren't and issue..then GO FORIT!! you will be so proud of the end and have something truly one of a kind..however if you are limited on either..keep shopping all options.

Oh check sites like etsy as well...they have great unique stuff, and tons of people to do custom work too!!

• I couldn't find anything either, so I went looking for fabrics first, then I found an amazing quilter & seamstress off ebay (of all places) who quoted me $25 to sew my fabric into a gorgeous quilt.  I'm so happy with it.  She also made custom basket liners, crib skirt and chair cushion at my request with my extra fabrics.  Then, she made me 2 special gifts just for working with her.  The gifts were an adorable rag quilt for the stroller and a throw pillow!  I bought a ton of fabric and spent about $100, so I let her keep all the extra fabric, and there was still alot of fabric even after all the extras were made.  She is in Hawaii visiting her family right now, but I have her info if anyone wants it.  My total bill was $100 for her services and $100 for the fabrics I bought.  I also had to pay shipping twice to send her the fabric and again to receive the items.  SO, total $225 or so.  Not bad.  I love the fact that my items are OOAK, handmade and custom.  That makes me very happy!

my nursery progress

EDD 9/01/11

my nursery progress

• Loading the player...
  • I've made my own crib sized quilt, and a twin quilt - but it's a hobby I love and something I wanted to do myself. I'm going with a mesh bumper and some basic sheets, but making my own simple crib skirt to go with the quilts.  You can find fitted crib sheet instructions online that don't look too hard.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I made our own bumpers and crib skirt and my sister made a matching quilt. It was pricey only because I chose $18/yd fabric. The bumpers and crib skirt were super easy and took me 2 evenings after work to do. The quilt took longer, but it's a quilt, so it's supposed to. You can see pictures in my blog. If you are at all handy with a sewing machine, it really isn't hard at all.
  • I plan on having someone make me a quilt and then I will sew the crib skirt and curtains myself and just buy sheets and a breathable bumper from a store.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"