April 2011 Moms

First day of daycare = big fat FAIL!

I was holding it together pretty good and thinking things would be okay.  Then I got there and go to drop her off.  The director greets me and brings me in to the toddler room where she is the one teacher with 6 toddlers and a preschooler that wanted to visit.  She tells me I can just put DD right there (in her carseat) and says I'm all set. 

Umm, no I'm not all set.  She's only come with me to drop off the paperwork, so this is a totally new place.  No one has shown me where her stuff even goes or asked when she last ate, needs a nap, how to comfort her.  Then one of the kids gets really close and she tells him to back up and turns to me and says, "I don't trust him with her.  He would hurt her."  Nice thing to say to a FTM dropping off her baby for the first time.  So, I say I'd like to feed her before I leave because I know the next teacher is coming in in about ten minutes.  The teacher is very sweet, but 8 and a half months pregnant, so it looks like she won't be around too much longer. 

Make it to work, and the staff at my part time summer job had organized a little breakfast for me to help take my mind off of it - very sweet.  Head back to pick her up three and a half LONG hours later and she wouldn't take the bottle or take a nap for them.  Good times! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: First day of daycare = big fat FAIL!

• Aaah! Sorry, Momma. I hope it gets easier. We start next Monday. Ugh.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• I'm so sorry. I know you remember my DD's Tales of Daycare Woe, but I wanted to tell you she finally got her act together by her second week. She takes the bottle, naps well, and smiles at the teachers all day long. DH jokes that they seem excited to see her in the morning when he drops her off -- not just dread!

Hope things get better for you too! P.S. Why was your LO in the toddler room?
  • Loading the player...
  • imageNechie122:
    I'm so sorry. I know you remember my DD's Tales of Daycare Woe, but I wanted to tell you she finally got her act together by her second week. She takes the bottle, naps well, and smiles at the teachers all day long. DH jokes that they seem excited to see her in the morning when he drops her off -- not just dread!

Hope things get better for you too! P.S. Why was your LO in the toddler room?

They combine in the morning when their numbers are low, but when I asked about this during the interview process I was told they go to their own rooms by 8 which wasn't the case.  I was also told DD would be in the young infant room with children that aren't mobile and would move to the older infant room when she becomes mobile.  Well, it turns out some of the other children they thought would be starting are not.  So, she is in a room with 14, and 16 month old boys and they put her in a bouncy seat and swing for the most part because they didn't want her on the floor with the two of them mobile.  Just seems like a lot of misinformation. 

• That doesn't sound like a great first impression, I hope things get easier for you. 

DS does really well at daycare and it wouldn't be uncommon for him to not eat or sleep for 3 1/2 hrs.  Your DS will be adjusted in no time.

• I would be upset about the bouncy seat and swing and no floor time.  I have worked in day care and at ours we had to move them every half hour to something new if they weren't mobile yet.  This is a NY state child care regulation btw.  I would question what you were told and what is going on now.  It's not uncommon to have infants with  toddlers up to the age of 18 months in the same room (again a NY state regulation).  If your in NY I can give you more information on the ratios and such.

As with all new babies entering day care the first few days are the hardest because they do not know any one it's a new surrounding, everything is unfamiliar to them.  Each day will get better for both of you.  

Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"