April 2011 Moms

s/o solids... making baby food

All this solid talk has me thinking about making baby food now.  Anyone knowledgeable on this subject?  I know she can't eat it yet, but I wanted to use the fresh produce from my parent's garden.  I found this website https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/ but was hoping on some more input on the subject.  TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: s/o solids... making baby food

• That's a great website,  I used it when I started to learn about BLW.

Are you going to do pureed or BLW?

Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That site is the one always recommended to me. I plan to use it, and I have a couple of baby cookbooks as well (they were gifts and they all pretty much say the same thing. Steam vegetable. Puree it.)

My mom bought me a Baby Bullet after me being all snotty about how it was a waste of money and a stick blender would do. And now I'm totally excited to use it.

• Loading the player...
  • I just started checking out that website after it was recommended to me too! I tried making some pureed bananas last night to freeze. I probablly won't do this too much, but I wanted to try out my food processor to see how it did. Of course bananas are easy since you don't have to cook them!
  • Everyone recommends that website- it's fantastic! I think I've read everything on there, I'm so excited to make my own baby food. :) I was thinking the same as you- to start making it now so I can use fresh produce even though she won't be eating it for a few months. You can, just read the section on freezing baby food and make sure you're not making things too far in advance so they don't go bad. Otherwise, I say go for it!

My plan was to start in August, since she'll be six months at the end of October. I can't wait. :)

imageimage
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DD born 4/25/11
    m/c 8/10/13 at 5.5 weeks
    missed m/c 4/15/14 at 11.5 weeks, D&C 4/17/14
    BFP 6/22/14, Scheduled c/s 2/23/15, It's a Girl!!  

• I have made 3 batches of green beans and one batch of peas.  I used the ziplock steam bags to steam and then threw them in the magic bullet with breast milk to puree.  It seriously took me longer to clip the bean ends and shell the peas then to actually make the baby food.

I then poured the puree into ice cube trays covered with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.  After they were frozen and took the cubes out of the trays and put them in freezer bags and labeled.  I read that the food is good for 6 months in the deep freezer.

I also blanched 14 bags of green beans.  I cut them small so when she is able to eat those she will have them.  I could also puree them if needed.  Those will last 1 year in the deep freeze.  

I plan on buying peaches from the peach truck when it comes around and doing the same!  It is super easy!

• Maybe this will result in mre work, but I'm going to start with pretty small he's until I know if he hates certain things. I plan to use that website and start researching more in September.
  • imageemmyann52:

I have made 3 batches of green beans and one batch of peas.  I used the ziplock steam bags to steam and then threw them in the magic bullet with breast milk to puree.  It seriously took me longer to clip the bean ends and shell the peas then to actually make the baby food.

I then poured the puree into ice cube trays covered with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.  After they were frozen and took the cubes out of the trays and put them in freezer bags and labeled.  I read that the food is good for 6 months in the deep freezer.

I also blanched 14 bags of green beans.  I cut them small so when she is able to eat those she will have them.  I could also puree them if needed.  Those will last 1 year in the deep freeze.  

I plan on buying peaches from the peach truck when it comes around and doing the same!  It is super easy!

Do the green beans come out okay?  Did you just steam and puree those?  My parents have an over abundance of green beans and can't make them all before they go to waste!

• imageGHBEA:

That's a great website,  I used it when I started to learn about BLW.

I didn't know about BLW until I started reading about it here today.  I'm going to have to do more research.

• imageGHBEA:

I didn't know about BLW until I started reading about it here today.  I'm going to have to do more research.

• imagecmm8311:
    imageGHBEA:

Same here!! Reading more into BLW today, thanks for sharing ladies. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Green beans turned out great and it was super easy!  I just added about 3 oz of bm to the magic bullet full of beans. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"