Houston Babies

Name help

DS's "girl" name was most likely going to be Kayla Regan.  Kay is DH's late mom's middle name and Regan is my middle name.  So we kind of have that in mind for DD (mainly b/c then we don't have to come up with something else!) 

I like the way it flows, but I really have no history behind Regan, aside from it is my middle name (no family history - my mom just picked it at the time).  I never even really liked it growing up b/c it was not common - everyone's middle name growing up was what I call the "pretty names" - Ann, Marie, Renee, etc.  Nor did it help that Reagan was president during my elementary school years, and I was constantly "teased" that I was RR's daughter.  Now Regan (well, at least Reagan) is pretty common, so I am sure it won't stand out at much as it did when i was little, but I just have no "connection" with it.  I rarely even use my middle initial.  However, Carrie was my great-grandmother's name, so I really like the fact that it is a family name, but I feel kind of weird naming DD after me, plus Kayla Carrie doesn't flow quite as nice.  I could do something else with "Kay" to incorporate Carrie as a MN, but not sure what would work?  I think it's the 2 "K" sounds at the beginning that sounds awkward to me, and there is no getting around that.  But I tell myself they will rarely use it all together, anyway, so does it really matter if they sound good together?

Any suggestions?  Or do you have a middle name the same as your mom's first - and was it weird?

Re: Name help

• We gave DD #2 my first name as her middle name, and I love it. Although, it does flow very well with her first name. I am also not a fan of alliterative first/middle names, even if there is family significance. Names sounding good together is my first priority, and if it happens to have family meaning, then that's a bonus.

I think Kay is a nice middle name that would go with almost anything (as long as it doesn't start with a K or a hard C). Have you considered that?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTexasSmith:

We gave DD #2 my first name as her middle name, and I love it. Although, it does flow very well with her first name. I am also not a fan of alliterative first/middle names, even if there is family significance. Names sounding good together is my first priority, and if it happens to have family meaning, then that's a bonus.

I think Kay is a nice middle name that would go with almost anything (as long as it doesn't start with a K or a hard C). Have you considered that?

Yes, I wouldn't mind using Kay as a middle name, but then I am back to square one of trying to find a first name, and still not being able to use Carrie (and/or Regan, since I wouldn't want it as a first name).  I hate this name stuff!  lol.

• Loading the player...
  • I don't think it would be weird at all. BUT if you are uncomfortable, you could do something like Cara or Caroline....

But that still doesn't sovle the Kay thing...The only thing I can think of is to Mikayla as a first name but I don't really love that name..

• kj07kj07 member

I'm also not a fan of the alliteration in naming choices so I can see your problem with Kayla Carrie.

If you're not 100% invested in Kayla, you could do a mashup of Kay and Carrie - maybe Kaylee/Kaylie/Carley or something else.  That way you could encorporate both sides of the family into her first name, which would free you up to go down whatever path you want for a middle name.  My sister's middle name is my mom's maiden name, for example.

For what it's worth, I think Regan/Regean is a beautiful name.  I met a girl at summer camp named Regan (back in the late 80s) and liked it even then.

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • I am in the camp of, first and middle names are rarely said together, so it's not that big a deal.  However, I know that it's preferable to have names that flow.

As for using your middle name, I say go for it.  My mom gave me her middle name, and I gave it to Hannah, so perhaps my mom started a tradition.  :) 

• My mom and I share a middle name. It has no significance, other than my grandma thought it was pretty. And it sounded great when my grandma yelled my mom's first & middle names together Smile

• Name stuff it hard!  I have the same middle name as my Mom, but did not give it to Abbie.  Her middle name is Rose which was my maternal grandmother's middle name and is my little sister's middle name.  Mine is Marie, which in my family, you the girl middle names are either Marie or something after someone who died, lol.  If DS was a girl his middle name would have been Marie.  Like you with Regan, I just didn't have a big enough attachment to it to pass it on to Abbie.

I see what you mean with the "K" sounds together.  Maybe come up with a 1st name you like and use "Kary" as a middle name?  That was it's Carrie after you and your Grandmother and spelled with a K to incorporate Kay. 

Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"