Preemies

Rice cereal as a thickener?

So, my babies are spitup-ers. Both of them. They never were in the hospital, but since they've been home it's been a free-for-all. They are "happy spitters" though, which our pediatrition said is a sign that it's probably not reflux, and he thinks it might be from switching from breastmilk + 24 cal fortifier to just plain breastmilk an the change in consistancies.

But then we went for our 3rd checkup (becuase I love my pediatrition but he wants to see us once a week for a whole month after the babies came home because it's not like I don't have a billion other appointments) and Audrey had only gained 3 ounces in 10 days. Which is not enough - he wants them to gain at least half an ounce a day. And he thinks it's because she's spitting up so much.

So to combat the spitup, he told us to start putting 1tsp of rice cereal in her bottles (which are 80ml). We just started last night and it seems to be making a little bit of a difference! But ya know, I trust my pedi buuuuut I worry about this (um, and everything), isn't it bad to start them on rice cereal so early?? I mean, it really just makes my breastmilk the consistancy of whole milk, so its not like it's SOLID solids, ya know?

Has anyone else done this? Thoughts on it? Tell me to calm the eff down and trust my doctor?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Rice cereal as a thickener?

• We did this but for another reason.  DD had trouble swallowing thin liquids.  She got 1 1/2 TBS per 60ml.  It was crazy thick.  I was like you and didn't like the idea either.  But for us it was that or get a gtube.  She's since been weaned off the cereal entirely.  I know its not ideal but I'd trust your dr on this.   
  • I know it seems early, but they use rice cereal to combat a lot of issues these days. If your ped says it's ok, I'd trust him.

We started rice cereal a little earlier then usual on DS too because he was constantly hungry...

TTC #1 since 4/2007... MFI (low motility/low Testosterone) & PCOS IVF #1 August 2010...BFP 1st sono shows TWINS!!!! Due May 23rd 2011 Ruptured @ 21 weeks (Jan 13) Delivered 26 weekers (Blake and Addison) on Valentine's Day... Keeping faith and praying, God has a plan and we just have to learn to follow. Our Blog ... ourvalentinesdaysurprise.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried modifying your diet? dD had a dairy sensitivity that only presented itself as massive amounts of spit-up. No diaper issues. She was also super cranky. I stopped eating dairy and it was like a switch went off. I would personally experiment with that before starting on rice cereal so young but my pedi told me dairy sensitivities did not present with loads of spit up so I don't listen much anyway :)
  • LO has pretty bad reflux so our pedi suggested adding 1/2 tsp rice cereal for every ounce of formula (he is taking 3 oz per feeding). Overall it has been helping a little bit. He still spits up but a little less and its thicker. If you end up doing this you may have to use a different nipple for the bottle. We use the Y cut for thicker liquids (Dr Browns). Btw my LO is 12 weeks actual and 3 weeks adjusted and he has been using the cereal for over 3 weeks now.

Good luck!

• We've been using it with JS since right after he came home. It's been a life saver for us. I think he was less than 1 week adjusted when we started.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagePiper345:

LO has pretty bad reflux so our pedi suggested adding 1/2 tsp rice cereal for every ounce of formula (he is taking 3 oz per feeding). Overall it has been helping a little bit. He still spits up but a little less and its thicker. If you end up doing this you may have to use a different nipple for the bottle. We use the Y cut for thicker liquids (Dr Browns). Btw my LO is 12 weeks actual and 3 weeks adjusted and he has been using the cereal for over 3 weeks now.

Good luck!

This is very similiar to how we started thickening my son's feeds.  First we started with rice at 1/2 tablespoon per 30mls and now he's strictly getting oatmeal - same ratio.  It helps.  I know it seems early but it won't hurt them.

We tried the Y nibbles for Dr. Browns but my son couldn't handle that much flow so I expand the Level 1 nipples using a fork prong - this part will probably take some experimenting so I recommend buying a few different nipple flow levels to figure out what works for you LOs.

• Us too. We use 1tsp per oz of rice cereal and 1tsp per oz of oat cereal alternating. Ours is due to reflux tho. We started at 2 weeks adjusted. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"