April 2011 Moms

S/O TV: what about music?

We're full of spin-offs lately. :) I was just thinking about all this TV stuff. I had heard about the studies linking TV to ADHD development, but the delaying of language skills was new to me. I'm one of those people who's home all day with baby, and I like background noise. I've done my best to cut down on how much the TV is on, and have mostly replaced it with music. I vary the genres I listen to (jazz, pop, easy listening, sometimes classical). But the comment made by someone about how the TV is fuzzy noise for a baby and it can delay their speech- I wonder if the same applies to music? I always thought music was good for babies, but I don't really see much of a difference between the background noise of TV and music- especially to a little baby. Thoughts or insights?
imageimage
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DD born 4/25/11
m/c 8/10/13 at 5.5 weeks
missed m/c 4/15/14 at 11.5 weeks, D&C 4/17/14
BFP 6/22/14, Scheduled c/s 2/23/15, It's a Girl!!  

Re: S/O TV: what about music?

• Music I think is wonderful, you can interact with your baby and toddler.  Right now they have no idea of what your singing but the changing in voice tones, and the interaction is good for your LO.  There are many Mommy and Me groups out there that introduce music.  Its the same with reading to them.

We will all raise our children as we feel is best for them.  We will read this is bad, that is bad, and this is good and that is good.  Use your best judgement what you feel is best for your LO.

I sang to my older girls all the time, weather is was through the radio, CD or something I made up.  It is the interaction that was important to me.  

Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ditto PP. I think music is good all around. I need to start having LO listen to music more, not just from her toys or in the car. I think music is supposed to help with math too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, I suppose the difference with music is that we're often singing along or dancing with baby, and that interaction is beneficial. I guess what I was wondering about is the argument that the noise of a TV can delay speech- if so, what is the difference between TV "noise" and other background noise, such as music?

I'm comfortable with the decisions I make daily with LO, I'm not worried. :) It's more of the student in me, just wondering out loud about the science and reasoning behind all of these studies. That's all!

imageimage
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DD born 4/25/11
    m/c 8/10/13 at 5.5 weeks
    missed m/c 4/15/14 at 11.5 weeks, D&C 4/17/14
    BFP 6/22/14, Scheduled c/s 2/23/15, It's a Girl!!  

• imageMrsRoy07:

Yes, I suppose the difference with music is that we're often singing along or dancing with baby, and that interaction is beneficial. I guess what I was wondering about is the argument that the noise of a TV can delay speech- if so, what is the difference between TV "noise" and other background noise, such as music?

I'm comfortable with the decisions I make daily with LO, I'm not worried. :) It's more of the student in me, just wondering out loud about the science and reasoning behind all of these studies. That's all!

Maybe it has something to do with the rhythms and melodies of the songs? Ask any musician (I'm a former band nerd myself Geeked) and they'll tell you that music is a language in itself. Music can convey a range of emotions. It could also have to do with the fact that most songs last several minutes, but on tv, things change up on average every 30 seconds to a minute especially during commercials. Just my thoughts...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage.
  • I could be totally wrong, but I thought the issue with v was the fast moving images? As far as sound, I thought it was just that when they listen to TV they are passive listeners. I'm sure I'm way oversimplifying it, but that was my basic understanding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know the answer to your question, but we listen to a lot of music here as well.

I grew up both listening to music and watching tv. I'm not one to say, "I'm ok so it's ok for LO" because I know that we learn new things as time goes by; however, that is honestly how I feel about TV. She won't be parked in front of it all the time, so I'm just not terribly concerned about her being exposed to it.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Music is almost the opposite of TV. They rhythms and melodies actually enhance baby's development. It doesn't hurt speech development, if anything it helps. Both of my kids have been raised/are being raised in a music-rich environment, and my son absolutely loves to sing and dance and tell stories. He's a very normal 3 yo, and he makes up little songs all day long. My daughter coos along with music.
    Old nestie, new name: formerly ckolak:-)
    imageimage
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Mama's Gonna Buy You A Mockingbird
  • I'm in the music helps with brain development camp... The intricate rhythms, patterns of melodies, etc. all help babies' neurological patterns develop (at least as far as I've read).

I started composing music when I was about 7 as did Jared (with staff composition paper and everything). (Unfortunately, I let music go and just played in two bands through college "for fun"...I didn't make a life of it.) I think reading music helps you learn to read written language better, too, and teaches you mnemonic devices for learning--Every Good Boy Does Fine, etc.

If music were "bad for babies," Liam would be screwed. We spend about every weekend at concerts with Jared's band or his solo performances, and I even recorded some back-up vocal tracks in our home recording studio while nursing (how else do you keep a baby quiet in a recording studio?).

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• I started wondering the same thing, but I really think music is beneficial and fun for LO's. We sing and dance to music all day long and DD loves it. I think it is the difference between interaction and just sort of vegging in front of the tv.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think the key problem with TV as background noise is that it's other people speaking and it will impact language development because babies will have a hard time filtering out the TV from adults speaking to them. Everything runs together for babies and toddlers when there is that background chatter and they cannot catch individual words being spoken to them. Studies also showed that when the TV was on in the background, children switched between toys too often and did not take the time to focus on one toy, which meant they missed developmental opportunities by not fully engaging with a toy. I don't think there are the same concerns with music...

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageMrsRoy07:

Yes, I suppose the difference with music is that we're often singing along or dancing with baby, and that interaction is beneficial. I guess what I was wondering about is the argument that the noise of a TV can delay speech- if so, what is the difference between TV "noise" and other background noise, such as music?

That is funny, I was thinking the same thing this morning after reading the posts about TV.  We do a lot of music and have the TV on in the back ground sometimes And I sing to him a lot.  The reality is, as you said, I am comfortable with the decisions we are making just curious.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"