Attachment Parenting

lurker with a couple of questions - vacc/sleep

Hello

1-DD is on a delayed vacc schedule. DH and I wanted to give MMR separatley, but pedi just informed us that it is no longer manufactured that way. she said we have to give her the MMR shot and she's willing to wait until 18 months.  We donmt really know where to take it from here.  We know that the link bw MMR and autism has been debunked, but with an autistic child in the family it is still scary. What did you do as far as the MMR? did they offer it separately in your area?

2-DD seems to be going through major separation anxiety. She's always been needy as far as wanting my attention.  My mom takes care of her while I work and she's a little more independent with her. But, while I've been on summer vacation, the separation anxiet has gotten worse even though I've been spending every waking minute with her.  It seems the worst at night. She is only waking once or twice, but nothing will help her go back to sleep. I have put her in bed with me, but neither she nor I seem to sleep well that way. What worked for you if your LO went through separation anxiety? How long does it last?  It seems like a phase, but it's been getting progressively worse since summer vacation started.

Any avice on either topic would be appreciated! 

Re: lurker with a couple of questions - vacc/sleep

• I can only respond to the question about the MMR vaccine.  No, I believe it is only offered as MMR, not separately.  No vaccines have any link to Autism, whatsoever.  Get that out of your head. Having an autistic child in your family does not change that there is NO CONNECTION. 

Get your kid vaccinated.  MMR are not jokes.  They are serious, horrible diseases.  Protect your child from them. 

As for sleep, I have a 3 month old who sleeps through the night.  Sorry. No advice to give just yet. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Obviously, she will get vaccinated. I just wanted to know what my options are as far as the MMR. Dr. Sears' alternative schedule and other alternative schedules list them separately, so there has to be a pharmaceutical company that makes them that way.  
  • Loading the player...
  • your options appear to be 1) get th MMR at 18 months (which is "delayed"...K got it at 12) or 2) try to find a new pedi who knows how it can be separated.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • I'll be getting DS vaccinated on schedule, but I was on Dr Sears' site yesterday and he addresses the recent change in MMR not being manufactured separately. I'd suggest looking there if you want his updated recommendations. It looks like he publishes updates to his book whenever things like this change.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRunningGal900:
    I'll be getting DS vaccinated on schedule, but I was on Dr Sears' site yesterday and he addresses the recent change in MMR not being manufactured separately. I'd suggest looking there if you want his updated recommendations. It looks like he publishes updates to his book whenever things like this change.

Thanks so much! I will show DH since he is more adamant about giving it separately.  I'm ok with giving MMR @ 18 months. 

• imageMrsJOSEnADRI:

imageRunningGal900:
    I'll be getting DS vaccinated on schedule, but I was on Dr Sears' site yesterday and he addresses the recent change in MMR not being manufactured separately. I'd suggest looking there if you want his updated recommendations. It looks like he publishes updates to his book whenever things like this change.

Thanks so much! I will show DH since he is more adamant about giving it separately.  I'm ok with giving MMR @ 18 months. 

I just found this:  https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/vaccines/separated-measles-mumps-rubella-vaccine-return-2011

and this  https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/vaccines/finding-mmr-vaccines-separated

on Dr. Sears' site.  So, I will talk to my doc about ordering them separately and maybe she can administer them that way.

• MMR is no longer manufactured by any major companies separately.   Those articles were from 2009 and 2008 respectively.

From the Merck website:

Monovalent vaccines no longer available for measles, mumps, rubella -
    Based on input from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), professional societies, scientific leaders, and customers, Merck has decided not to resume production of ATTENUVAX? (Measles Virus Vaccine Live), MUMPSVAX? (Mumps Virus Vaccine Live), and MERUVAX?II (Rubella Virus Vaccine Live). This science-based decision will support vaccination of the largest group of appropriate individuals. Merck will continue to focus necessary resources to ensure that they can help meet current and future global public health needs for their combination measles, mumps and rubella vaccine, M-M-R?II (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Virus Vaccine Live).

Just something to consider- if you really read the Dr Sears vaccine book, and read more of the research, the combined vaccines in many ways are more desirable than separate.  Since the autism link was debunked, the additives are the bigger concern.  More shots, more additives.  Also the MMR is manufactured differently today than it used to be (the questionable additive has been replaced).  There are still issues and concerns with vaccines the way they are created, but there is plenty of valid research out there worth considering.  On both sides.

As for sleep- good luck.  DH and I got in an argument tonight over how to deal with our DD's sleep issues.  It's tough!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemoonrose2715:

MMR is no longer manufactured by any major companies separately.   Those articles were from 2009 and 2008 respectively.

From the Merck website:

Monovalent vaccines no longer available for measles, mumps, rubella -
    Based on input from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), professional societies, scientific leaders, and customers, Merck has decided not to resume production of ATTENUVAX? (Measles Virus Vaccine Live), MUMPSVAX? (Mumps Virus Vaccine Live), and MERUVAX?II (Rubella Virus Vaccine Live). This science-based decision will support vaccination of the largest group of appropriate individuals. Merck will continue to focus necessary resources to ensure that they can help meet current and future global public health needs for their combination measles, mumps and rubella vaccine, M-M-R?II (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Virus Vaccine Live).

Just something to consider- if you really read the Dr Sears vaccine book, and read more of the research, the combined vaccines in many ways are more desirable than separate.  Since the autism link was debunked, the additives are the bigger concern.  More shots, more additives.  Also the MMR is manufactured differently today than it used to be (the questionable additive has been replaced).  There are still issues and concerns with vaccines the way they are created, but there is plenty of valid research out there worth considering.  On both sides.

As for sleep- good luck.  DH and I got in an argument tonight over how to deal with our DD's sleep issues.  It's tough!

Thx!  We decided to keep looking for it separately or give her the MMR when she's older and about to start pre-school.  She's either with me or my mom all day long and won't go to daycare or preschool until age 3 or 4.

as for sleep, we are trying Ferber as a last resort bc she used to be able to fall asleep on her own and STTN.  We started some habits we are not comfortable with so we want to get her back on track.  It hasn't been so bad.  She cries 5 minutes or less and goes to sleep.  I think we were interrupting her ability to fall asleep and self-soothe by going into her room everytime she cried.  What conviced us to try it was seeing a friend's newborn and realizing we were still treating her like one. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"