Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Non click poll

How do you feel about epiderals?

I think the epideral was the worst part of my labor. I waited a lont time to get an epideral and hurt alot. I am scared to get one next time.

Re: Non click poll

• Options
    Going into it, I was really scared. I thought it was way less painful than I thought it would be. That first shot to numb your back is more painful to me than the threading. I don't know if it makes a difference on a pain level, but I had my epi within two hours of my water breaking and was hardly having any contractions. They had to get me rolling right away to get ready for my c-section because LO was breech. I never really experienced much of labor because LO was born then within just three hours of my water breaking, and the most I ever felt was equal to a period cramp.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I really did not want one but after having contractions for 2 days and being at 5cm with contractions 1 minuet apart for 6 hours, I was exhausted and got one.  Some days I feel guilty for getting one.  I'm also really glad I got it some days because I ended up getting a 3 hour nap before pushing and only had to push for 34 minuets.  I also tore really bad and I can't imagine tearing that bad with no pain medication.  My back still hurts from it though and I'm still undecided if I'll try to go without one again for baby #2.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

First of all, I love your polls. I am also bored tonight!

I LOVED my epidural. I was induced and got my epi before they started pitocin so I never even felt a contraction. I will probably get flamed for this, but I feel like I missed out on the whole labor experience. Feeling contractions, your water breaking, wondering if you are really in labor or not etc, etc.

• Options
    I think they may not be for everyone, but I had one and I think it was the right decision for me. My water broke when I was only 1 cm so I labored for 7 hours without one because I didn't want it to slow my labor and I was at 5 cm when I asked for it. I am really afraid of needles and was super scared of getting mine, but it didn't end up hurting a bit. I could still move my legs but was numb and couldn't feel the contractions. It did start wearing off after a couple hours so they had to come and shoot some more medicine into the line. After that I couldn't move my legs at all, which I didn't really like because it was hard to get comfortable and H had to try to lift my dead legs and position me. That was the only bad part, though.
  • Options

I got an epi, obviously, but I don't feel like my reaction was the same as everyone else's. Not only did it hurt from beginin to end of getting it put in. I could still fully move my legs. Probaly walk if they would have let me. And I could still feel some contractions on the top of my stomach.

They used the epi for my c-section and I could feel alot of pinching on one side of my body during the c-sectoin. I think next time I will request a different anastesiaoligist (sorry for poor spelling.)

• Options

With my first induction, I waited as long as possible to get one since I was scared. But I wasn't having any contractions and the dr started talking c/s so the nurse suggested I get the epi and see if that helped loosen me up before we made any rash decisions. So I agreed, and started having contractions right after I agreed to it and was in agony by the time the dr got there, lol. It was the best relief ever. Didn't even feel it go in and went from 4 to 10 in an hour after getting it.

Second time, I knew I wanted it again. I started having contractions at 730 - took a shower and was only 2 cm... got out and asked for my epi around 9 am. She looked at me like I was nut/ wuss for getting it so early... got it around 945 - and was fully dilated by 1030- had to wait for my dr to get there to deliver at 1123. Definately wasn't scared that time and wasn't goign to take NO for an awnser.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagejcole32444:

I got an epi, obviously, but I don't feel like my reaction was the same as everyone else's. Not only did it hurt from beginin to end of getting it put in. I could still fully move my legs. Probaly walk if they would have let me. And I could still feel some contractions on the top of my stomach.

They used the epi for my c-section and I could feel alot of pinching on one side of my body during the c-sectoin. I think next time I will request a different anastesiaoligist (sorry for poor spelling.)

Yeah, I think your experience may be more tied to who administered it to you. My epi was so strong that I could not feel anything from the waste down, and I had to be in the OR recovery room for almost three hours because it took forever for it to wear off enough to even be able to move my legs around again. Leg movement was their requirement for getting moved upstairs to your room to stay in the rest of the time in the hospital.
  • Options
    I didn't want one! I was realistic though and thought that I'd have to end up getting one. Turns out that I'm stronger than I thought and I didn't need one even though I was put on patosin (sp may be wrong) because my water broke but my body wouldn't go into labor! I made it with NO meds! I'm so proud of myself...sorry if that seems weird to those of you that needed meds.
  • Options

IDK. I never experienced one.

I can tell you how freaking scary it is to be told 2 hours before you deliver your child that you will have to go under complete anesthesia without DH in the OR and you have no other option.

The whole near death thing is something I'd like to try to avoid.

I had planned on a natural childbirth but was open to an epidural. I am not sure we'll TTC again though.

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• Options
    For me it had its pros and cons, but in the end, I'd definitely get it again. Going in, I was worried about it hurting (I'm deathly afraid of needles) but it hurt less than the IV stick, and a hell of a lot less than contractions. They had to dose me pretty heavily because of my scoliosis (he had to up it like 6 times before BOTH sides were numb). I didn't feel any of the birth despite them turning it off hours in advance. I could not walk or stand on my own for quite some time after giving birth. I also hated how jittery/cold it made me. But I did tear a lot and I'm glad I didn't feel any of it.
  • Options

I had a combination spinal/epidural for my c/s. I hated it. Obviously I liked not feeling my ute get cut open (lol) but other than that it was awful. It made me sleepy, disoriented, and woozy. It went up too high and I could hardly breathe, couldn't talk, could barely move my arms. I barely remember seeing LO for the first time, and could hardly keep my eyes open when H brought him over. Then I itched like crazy.

Suffice it to say that I hope next time will be a med-free VBAC =)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I knew I would want one and did...it did not hurt going in for me, but it did stop working at one point and it took them a long time to get it going again.  I say kudos to anyone who can do it or even tries to do it without...I don't think I could have.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    imageAggieBeth06:

I can tell you how freaking scary it is to be told 2 hours before you deliver your child that you will have to go under complete anesthesia without DH in the OR and you have no other option.

I had planned on a natural childbirth but was open to an epidural. I am not sure we'll TTC again though.

Can I ask why you had to go under g/a? Usually g/a is emergent, but it sounds like you had some warning?

I'm sorry you had such a scary experience =(

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was induced and after then upper my pit I thought I was going to pass out so I didn't even feel the shot. Sadly though, an hour later it pooled in my back and it was time to push. So I feel like it was a waste and I wish I would have just skipped it.
  • Options

I loved mine. I had awful contractions the evening before and was up all night because of the pain. By the time I went to the hospital the next morning I was so exhausted and in so much pain that when they offered the epidural I took it. 

I really don't care about needles so that wasn't a problem and it didn't hurt at all compared to the contractions. I was just so grateful to be able to rest before pushing. When the time came to push the epidural had run out and worn off enough for me to feel my legs and a little bit of the contractions. That was good because even though it hurt I was able to feel enough to know what I was doing. 

• Options

I loved mine. I didn't feel it at all when she did it and felt great with it and after it. I was totally numb too, didn't feel a darn thing during labor.

• Options
    I did not want an epidural. My water broke and 12 hours later I was still at 2cm so they started me on pitocin. I labored on the pitocin for 7 hours up to 5 cm before I got the epidural. I had tried sitting, standing, all fours, the yoga ball, walking, a shower, the tub, hot rice packs, pressure on my back, pretty much everything several times by that point. I know it was the right thing for me at the time, because the pitocin sucked and after the epi I napped and was ready to push after I woke up. However, I think I tore so badly because of the epi and not feeling anything. Next time, I would really love to try to go med free again. I just hope my water doesn't break so soon because as soon as that happened I started being given timelines and they started pushing interventions.
  • Options

If I had been able to a vaginal delivery, I woulda been all about an epidural. No sense in suffering or getting tired out.

My spinal was great! After getting over the absolute perkiness of my anesthetist, I was able to relax enough that it wasn't too bad. My BP did drop briefly and that sucked but otherwise, overall it was a good experience. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I didn't get an epi. That should tell you how I feel about them, lol.

Seriously, I didn't like the side effects, the inability to move about, and I have a slight curve to my spine... those three things combines made me want to avoid the epi if I could.

As for other people getting an epi ::shrug:: I could care less. I don't judge.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Epidural was awesome!  Didn't feel any pain but could still push and feel pressure... after being in labor for about two days when I got it, it was really great!  I even got to take a nap which I needed since I wasn't able to sleep having contractions every 5 mins for two days!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I loved my epidural.
  • Options
    I did not like mine at all.  I was induced at nearly 2 weeks overdue and labored for about 20 hours without an epidural but LO was showing signs of distress so I had to have an epidural for my emergency c-section. It hurt going in, it took 27 hours to wear off afterwards and I had a reaction to the tubing they use so I had itchy hives all over my back.  I know many women love them but I definitely did not.
  • Options
    I had a spinal for my surgery but if I had the chance to try vaginal I would have gone for the epi.  I was in so much pain I was crying before the spinal and I was only 5 cm! (I was also crying for a host of other reasons but the pain was terrible!)
  • Options
    I was supposed to get an epi when they gave me the pitocin. I had labored for more than 12 hours and was only at 5cm so they wanted to speed things up. The guy never showed up and about an hour later (I think) DD got stuck and we had to have a c/s & I got knocked out (DH was there). I didn't have any pain meds in me until the spinal. I really wish I had when they decided to give me the pitocin. :(
  • Options

I didn't want one. My plan was to do it without. But my emergency csection put an end to that. The procedure itself was actually nothing like I thought it would be. It wasn't painful at all. It was uncomfortable. I did not like the feeling of being numb, particularly the fact that I couldn't feel myself breathing.

If we are ever to have another baby, I would be likely to try and avoid an epidural for a vaginal delivery. But I also know that if there's a next time, I'll go in there with a lot more of an open mind.

And, fyi, the big toe on my right foot has been numb since my epi. I don't know if I will ever get the feeling back...

• Options
    imagehonkytonk_kid:

Then I itched like crazy.

I forgot about this! I was insanely itchy after the surgery. That sucked.

• Options
    After 15 hours of labor, I gave in and got one. This was probably a good thing in terms of the emergency csection I ended up having, but despite that, I should have opted for it waaaay before that point. I loved my drugs! I will never have a kid without one again (assuming vbac I guess!)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It was beautiful while it lasted, but I would've loved if it held out while I pushed my 9 pound kid out.
  • Options
    The best thing that ever happened to me.  LOL!

• Options
    imagehonkytonk_kid:
    imageAggieBeth06:

Can I ask why you had to go under g/a? Usually g/a is emergent, but it sounds like you had some warning?

I'm sorry you had such a scary experience =(

Sorry that I missed this post earlier. It was emergent in the sense that it had to be done that way, that day.

I developed HELLP syndrome, which stands for hemolosis, elevated-liver (functon) and low platelets. Basically my body was rejecting the last stages of pregnancy and had I not been delivered immediately, I would have gone into seizures, a coma or worse.

It's only diagnosed by a lab, and I was very fortunate to have had an awesome doctor and a regular appointment on a Friday (which happened to be NYE). Had I waited until Monday to have been checked out, we would have been in a much worse condition. We caught it at the top of the downhill slope.

It was a total shock when the doctor said that I would be delivering that day and didn't have another option than general anesthesia. They were worried that I would seize or bleed out with any other option.

I had prepared myself for a c/s, but I had NEVER considered GA because it's so rare.

We are very thankful for our blessings. It could have been much worse... but I am not sure I am ready to go through it again just yet. :)

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"