May 2011 Moms
Options

repost: she rejects the boob!.... sometimes :/

I posted this in breastfeeding and the leaky boob fb page too:                                           My 11 week baby girl is with daddy everyday while I work fulltime. I nurse in the morning, evening when I get home, and all night feedings. Daddy feeds baby ebm from a bottle when I'm at work. Recently she's not wanted to nurse in the daytime when I'm home on the weekends. I think she's gotten used to daytime feeds with daddy. Is it worth it to push the breast on weekends or should I just let her stick with the routine? I love nursing and would prefer not to pump on weekends, but don't want to disrupt her pattern unnecessarily. Like I said, she's still happy to nurse morning, evening, and night.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: repost: she rejects the boob!.... sometimes :/

• Options

(((((hugs))))) I'm sorry.

I was unable to breastfeed, so I am no expert!!

One thing I have learned is that babies thrive and do best on a schedule.  Unfortunately, that schedule works best when done everyday ~ weekday vs. weekend has no significance to them.

If she is nursing the same as every other day, I would keep her on the same weekday schedule.

~~~I am MrsPLW71~~~ Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

My Birth Story
  • Options

For your sake, it's worth pushing the breast. The more you can directly feed her, the better your supply will be. Many moms eventually find that the pump isn't keeping up with the baby - every time you feed her from your breast, you hold that off a little longer.

Make sure you're using the slowest flow nipples you can find on the bottles and don't move her up as she gets older. "Nipple confusion" is actually "bottle preference" - it's easier to drink from a bottle. 

Keep offering, try different positions and locations. If it doesn't work and you have to do the pump/bottle thing, that's fine, but it is worth the effort of trying.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd probably stick to the same schedule as long as she is still willing to nurse during the times in which you are always home.

Or maybe try a slower flow bottle/nipple. That way she will like nursing just as much as she likes the bottle. 

PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagetokenhoser:

For your sake, it's worth pushing the breast. The more you can directly feed her, the better your supply will be. Many moms eventually find that the pump isn't keeping up with the baby - every time you feed her from your breast, you hold that off a little longer.

Make sure you're using the slowest flow nipples you can find on the bottles and don't move her up as she gets older. "Nipple confusion" is actually "bottle preference" - it's easier to drink from a bottle. 

Keep offering, try different positions and locations. If it doesn't work and you have to do the pump/bottle thing, that's fine, but it is worth the effort of trying.

This!

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    I've always used slow flow nipples Sad
  • Options

I'm not sure if this would help, but my LC taught me a method of bottle feeding a breastfed baby so that feeds are slower and more like breast feeding.  You could have YH do that so maybe it would be less different when she went back to the boob?  The big thing is that if she's not pausing on her own, you actually gently remove the bottle occasionally so she can rest, then see if she wants to continue, as a baby would do at the breast.

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

• Options
    Today was 50/50.  After her morning nursing session she's since had 2 bottles and nursed twice.  I just keep offering, sometimes she's only calmed by the bottle paired with dad walking around and bouncing while she eats.  I wonder if it's more of a gas/tummy issue as it's a recent behavior change (trouble the past 2 weekends).  I've gotta learn to walk, bounce, and nurse maybe?? 
  • Options

imageAngel0423:
    I've always used slow flow nipples Sad

What kind of bottles do you use? 

PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    medela, gerber, avent, and tommee tippee.  all with newborn slow flows.  She doesn't show preference to any in particular.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"