January 2012 Moms

i was lurking and it sparked a question

So sometimes when the board is a bit slow I like to lurk to the month that is giving birth or will be soon, so today I chose September. I know this is very earlier for us, but they were discussing the need of a nice gown for us moms to wear after the baby is born due to having visitors at the hospital. I had never even thought of this, but it seems like a good idea to me. 

Has anyone thought of this? Know what they are planning to wear? Or just going comfy, after all no one expects us to look cute!?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: i was lurking and it sparked a question

• Nice, absolutely not. There will be blood and other bodily fluids that may leak on to it, and I wouldn't buy something nice for in the hospital.

On the other hand, I do want something other than what the hospital has to offer because 1. it's not flattering, 2. if I want/need to stand I don't want to have to make sure no one has to stare at my a$$ lol.

• imagem.mckee1224:

Nice, absolutely not. There will be blood and other bodily fluids that may leak on to it, and I wouldn't buy something nice for in the hospital.

On the other hand, I do want something other than what the hospital has to offer because 1. it's not flattering, 2. if I want/need to stand I don't want to have to make sure no one has to stare at my a$$ lol.

i found a link to some maternity after the baby gowns, and they were so expensive! I was thinking noway will i pay that much just to bleed on it! I would like something semi cute, but something I dont mind ruining 

• Loading the player...
  • I was actually thinking of getting a cute pool cover up (not strapless of course) once the season is over. That way I have something cheap and cute that I don't mind ruining. If I find something better in the meantime, great, but if not I think a pool coverup would work well.
  • I have heard of this, and I will definitely be changing. I won't cave and buy something super nice, because as PPs said, blood and random bodily fluids could leak onto it. But if I can find something a little better I would be game for that.
    BFP #1 : 05.08.11 : EDD : 01.16.12 : DOB : 01.15.12
    BFP #2 : 12.26.12 : EDD : 09.08.13 : DOB : 09.03.13
  • I stayed in a gown until I was moved into my PP room. After that, I changed into nursing tanks and lounge pants. It was perfect. I was no comfy in the gowns and would never wear them the whole time. I felt like I was just wearing pjs. The nurses would come in and massage my uterus but never had to do any checks where I would need a gown. I don;t think you need to waste the money on one.
    Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • imagejason&robin:
    I stayed in a gown until I was moved into my PP room. After that, I changed into nursing tanks and lounge pants. It was perfect. I was no comfy in the gowns and would never wear them the whole time. I felt like I was just wearing pjs. The nurses would come in and massage my uterus but never had to do any checks where I would need a gown. I don;t think you need to waste the money on one.

This is actually what i'd prefer to do, but i've seen this discussion a few times before, and every time people said pants were a no-go because they needed to check you throughout your stay. Does this depend on the type of delivery, or do they only check you the first 24 hours or something?

• I wore the hospital gown the first day and night. I was just too worn out to really care about what I was wearing. After taking a shower and feeling like a real person, I opted for the lounge pants and tank, too. I didn't bleed more than a heavy period by day two, so I wasn't too worried about that.

I think I only got checked the early on the second day. Then showered, then dressed. She was checking the stitches and for hemroids, but since I was in good shape I didn't need further exams. So it probably does depend on the individual.

DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • they would come in and feel my uterus and I would just pull them down a bit(like I was having a u/s). I never had to take them off the whole time. I had a vag delivery both times. I am sure it would be a bit different if it was a c-section and you wouldn't want the band of the pants on your incision. I never had an issue with the pants. They never checked the vaginal area the whole time I was there. They would just ask me if I wa having clots bigger than a golf ball. Surprise
    Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • imagejason&robin:
    I stayed in a gown until I was moved into my PP room. After that, I changed into nursing tanks and lounge pants. It was perfect. I was no comfy in the gowns and would never wear them the whole time. I felt like I was just wearing pjs. The nurses would come in and massage my uterus but never had to do any checks where I would need a gown. I don;t think you need to waste the money on one.
    I was actually checked under my gown regularly so having pants on would have been a burden. I don't know if that was because I had torn during delivery and needed stitches? I do like the idea of a cute cover up though. Just be sure it has easy booby access if you are planning to breastfeed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also wore lounge pants and nursing tanks. It was never an issue- they never checked down there, and I had a couple of stitches from an episiotomy. I guess it just depends, but regardless, I wouldn't buy anything super nice.
  • I was also never checked down there, just always asked if I was having clots or issues.  They would always check the size of my uterus though, but I just did like jason&robin did and pulled down my pants low enough for them to check, like an ultrasound.  I never once, even during delievery wore the hospital gown.  I wore a bikini top and underwear until my water broke and then I just used a sheet to cover up.  I only had my husband in the room though.  I showered before leaving my labour room and changed into sweats and a tanktop then.  I also wore depends after delievery and so I didn't have any worries about leaking, and by day 2 I was in regular underwear again and regular pads.  Never leaked once.  I wouldn't bother with a gown unless you are comfortable in one.  Just bring yoga pants, sweats, lounge pants and tank tops and you'll be good!

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• With #1, I wore the gown for the first ay or so and then changed into a nursing gown. It didn't get ruined b/c I didn't really have it under my butt, YKWIM? Since this time it will be the middle of winter I was thinking of getting something like this: https://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=SIZ&ItemID=1afd402&Nao=0&Ne=4+840+877+878+5+961+6+968+29+3+598+11+15+12+506+10+23+585+596+963+579+1031+8+1022+1014+586+1007+879+1027+18+904+903+969+833+949&NOffset=0&Ntt=maternity+lingerie&SearchString=maternity+lingerie&N=4294959029&SO=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=EXTERNAL|xgn (Sorry I am on my iPad and I don't know how to shorten it or make it clicky) in black you wouldn't need to worry about staining them.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageN&G 5_26_07:
    With #1, I wore the gown for the first ay or so and then changed into a nursing gown. It didn't get ruined b/c I didn't really have it under my butt, YKWIM? Since this time it will be the middle of winter I was thinking of getting something like this: https://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=SIZ&ItemID=1afd402&Nao=0&Ne=4+840+877+878+5+961+6+968+29+3+598+11+15+12+506+10+23+585+596+963+579+1031+8+1022+1014+586+1007+879+1027+18+904+903+969+833+949&NOffset=0&Ntt=maternity+lingerie&SearchString=maternity+lingerie&N=4294959029&SO=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=EXTERNAL|xgn (Sorry I am on my iPad and I don't know how to shorten it or make it clicky) in black you wouldn't need to worry about staining them.
    I am gunk king about his more... I will be having a scheduled c/s so maybe I will prefer a gown to pants. I don't know if I will be bleeding/leaking anything this time since it will be scheduled. With my first, I still bleed b/c I was pushing for awhile before the c/s. I am not really sure what to expect in terms of that this time.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • You could try something like this: https://www.trendytummymaternity.com/maternity-hospital-gowns.html?gclid=CKCS1MDiq6oCFUHu7QodQGsWBA but to me, that is too much to spend on something for delivery or after. 

I just wore the hospital gown afterwards (about 10 hours) with my big fluffy robe from home.  It was summer, but they keep the hospitals cool enough I was still comfortable.  And it got a little dirty, but everything came out.  I would definately bring some comfy clothes to wear though...even if it's just for wearing home...oh and remember you won't be able to fit in pre-pregnancy clothes right away.

• Walmart has nursing nightgowns that are really pretty for only $15. I was planning on getting one for delivery, and then just wearing normal clothes after I feel like showering/changing. The only change to that plan is if I give birth in the tub, then in that case I will wear my mat bathingsuit top and change into the gown after I get out.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    BabyFetus Ticker
    ~Still rooting for my TTC buddy ShanRich0810~
    ~ DD 5/15/00 ~ DS 2/27/03 ~ DD 9/29/04 ~ DS 7/3/07 ~
  • ambs21ambs21 member

imageN&G 5_26_07:
    imageN&G 5_26_07:
    With #1, I wore the gown for the first ay or so and then changed into a nursing gown. It didn't get ruined b/c I didn't really have it under my butt, YKWIM? Since this time it will be the middle of winter I was thinking of getting something like this: https://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=SIZ&ItemID=1afd402&Nao=0&Ne=4+840+877+878+5+961+6+968+29+3+598+11+15+12+506+10+23+585+596+963+579+1031+8+1022+1014+586+1007+879+1027+18+904+903+969+833+949&NOffset=0&Ntt=maternity+lingerie&SearchString=maternity+lingerie&N=4294959029&SO=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=EXTERNAL|xgn (Sorry I am on my iPad and I don't know how to shorten it or make it clicky) in black you wouldn't need to worry about staining them.
    I am gunk king about his more... I will be having a scheduled c/s so maybe I will prefer a gown to pants. I don't know if I will be bleeding/leaking anything this time since it will be scheduled. With my first, I still bleed b/c I was pushing for awhile before the c/s. I am not really sure what to expect in terms of that this time.

Yes, you will still bleed.  I never pushed with DD, but I still bled post c/s.  It was like a period, perhaps a bit heavier.  I wore black comfy pants after delivery and cute shirts that were easy to pull up/down for nursing.  I was comfortable in pants, and the Dr/nurses were able to just pull them down to check my incision.  I will do the same this time with my planned c/s.

• I had a c-section and I just had nursing tanks and some lounge pants. They were not too low so they didn't bother the area where my incision was. I really didn't have many visitors but I would still recommend something else if even for your own comfort.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't want to be the negative one here, but be prepared JIK. If you're going cheap maybe buy comfy pants/shirt as well as a gown. When I had DD I had a lot of swelling afterwards and had to have a catheter for most of my hospital stay. It was never an option to wear anything other than some form of a gown. I did not have any complications with the birth...it was just something that happened. Most of us will probably not have to worry about that, but just be aware of the possibility. It would stink to have your comfy sweats ready and then have to wear the hospital gown the entire time instead of having a back-up plan. Ya know?
  • I had a sports bra on during labor/delivery, and (partly b/c the AC was broke and it was hot) I didn't want anything else touching me... so, poor DH kept trying to cover me up w/ a sheet. I didn't even care who saw what (and I'm pretty modest), until after it was over. I had to labor in bed though. This time I'm not sure what I will wear, because I'm hoping to labor while being able to move around! I guess I should wear more than a sports bra..haha!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With my first I just wore the hospital gown but I had horrible incontinence issues afterwards for a few weeks so it would have been really difficult to wear anything but the gown. But I did add a nursing tank underneath just for comfort/modesty.

With my 2nd I ended up with a c/s (and yes you bleed afterward just like a vaginal because your uterus has to heal from being stretched out and having the placenta gone, etc) and I just wore nursing tanks and yoga pants that had the fold down waist band not folded down.   I think I wore the gown for the first few hours after having him and then changed.  When they needed to check my incision I just folded down the pants like the others said.

DD- 7/22/07 DS- 4/22/09 DS #2- 1/11/12
  • imagedarters82:
    I also wore lounge pants and nursing tanks. It was never an issue- they never checked down there, and I had a couple of stitches from an episiotomy. I guess it just depends, but regardless, I wouldn't buy anything super nice.

this. 

BabyName Ticker
    Mom to Nora Audrey *09.03.2009*
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wore yoga type pants or capri sweat pants and a nursing tank or t-shirt while in the hospital.  I hate lying in bed with a gown on because it always gets stuck under me/I have a hard time getting comfortable, etc. 
    DSC_2211

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am certainly not the type of person who would get dressed up for other people while I am a patient at the hospital but with DS I did feel a lot better after I showered and got in my regular clothes.

DH's aunt and uncle came to visit the first day when I was still in the hospital gown with a bathrobe over it.  I got up out of the bed and everyone saw that I had bled all over the bed.  I guess that was a little embarrassing.   

• imagejason&robin:
    This exactly :).  Also, FWIW, I didn't 'leak' a whole lot after the birth of either child.  Here's to hoping that proves true for #3 :)
  • I stayed in the hospital gown (not the same one, obv) till I was ready to go home. I didn't have that traumatic a birth but it was hard for me to get out of bed let alone imagine pulling up pants. plus I hate sleeping in pants. I brought a bathrobe to cover my back end when I got up.

BUT. this time I really think that I'm going to bring more clothes and change earlier. I think I'll feel more human if I do, and that will make things easier. I was so overwhelmed last time I couldn't imagine doing anything "extra".

this time I plan to have a nursing tank (or five) and either some stretchy mat pants or mat leggings.

oh and those hospital gowns that you can buy yourself? how do you breastfeed in those things?!?!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"