High-Risk Pregnancy

Joining board - GD diagnosis (?)

I just found out that I have gestational diabetes, and I haven't seen the dietician yet. Nor have I talked to a doctor or a nurse or really anyone. They just told me over the phone, told me to watch my starches and sugars over the weekend, and scheduled me to see the dietician. I got to skip the 3 hour GTT - which is disturbing to me. In the case of a high reading such as mine - retesting to insure that this was not lab error or artifact would be the first step, followed by a 3 hour GTT to confirm. Nope, just "do not pass go, do not collect $200, go straight to the dietician."

So, I'm thrilled with my medical care at this point. Really impressed!

At any rate, I went ahead and read a med school textbook on managing the pregnant diabetic and started testing my BG. My fasting in the AM is between 85-95, and my 1 hour post prandial readings are around 140.

What do you guys run? What do you eat? What do you snack on? How are you feeling, and have you had any problems? 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Joining board - GD diagnosis (?)

• This link will give you some helpful info as well as snack and meal ideas.

For me, my fasting numbers are to be below 90 and all one-hour post meals should be under 130.  Although breakfast is normally the killer meal for GDs, this time around I've been struggling with my lunch numbers (all are above 130, I'll be starting insulin this week I think).

GL and "welcome"  :)

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I don't know what your initial test result was, but I do know at a certain point when it's that high they don't do the 3 hour.

My fasting number is supposed to be below 90 and my one hour post meal number has to be below 120. So your post meal number is a bit high, as well as your fasting number (the times it's about 90). Your dietician will have helpful information about that.

I am allowed a certain number of carbs per meal/snack, and even if I stay within that, I sometimes will run high, depending on what the carb was. Milk and fruit is no good for me at breakfast. Actually I have to be careful with breakfast all around. Believe or not, if I have one serving of ice cream for my bedtime snack, my fasting number in the morning is decent. I always pair a carb with a protein, and you will probably hear that a lot. The protein helps the carb do it's job and keeps your blood sugar from spiking.

I should also mention I was put on 2.5mg of Glyburide last week. It's been a learning process with that, if I don't eat the "right" thing at bedtime my morning number is super low.

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Loading the player...
  • Eh, I think it's fairly standard that if your number is extremely high it makes sense to just skip the 3 hour. I'm guessing if you tested and your numbers were well within the regular range (which yours seem borderline high/def GD based on the limits I was given) then they would drop the diagnosis or back off a bit.

My go to snacks were always crackers with PB, string cheese, nuts, or cut raw veggies. I learned early on that I can't handle rice or pure sugar (syrup for example) before noon but after noon my body could handle them well.

My favorite night time snack was either 8 oz of Vanilla almond milk with 5 rice crackers and string cheese, or a small bowl of ice cream with a string cheese.

• i'm new to this too. i just had the home glucose monitoring instruction on saturday, and the nurse told me to make sure my fasting level is below 90, and 2 hours post meal is below 120. i *think* if you're doing 1 hour post-meal draws it's supposed to be below 140.

still trying to figure out meals/snacks; appt with dietician is on weds.

• Clover - what I read in the medical textbook corresponds with what you said - fasting below 90, 1 hr below 140, and 2 hour below 120. So far, with the exception of 2 readings, I have been under those. It's really hard figuring out what to eat...so I think I'll need to hit the grocery store today!
  • imageHomelessParrot:
    Clover - what I read in the medical textbook corresponds with what you said - fasting below 90, 1 hr below 140, and 2 hour below 120. So far, with the exception of 2 readings, I have been under those. It's really hard figuring out what to eat...so I think I'll need to hit the grocery store today!

They actually recently changed the standards.  For 1-hr it's below 130 (it used to be below 140).  I think some docs still go with 140 but the majority don't.

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • This book was from 2009, so I'm sure the standards have changed some. I haven't seen the dietician yet - so I guess we'll see what they recommend. I was 180 today after a lunch of whole wheat bread, peanut butter, and a small amount of baked Cheetos. Apparently, my body can't handle Cheetos, because I've had no problems with PB and wheat bread.
  • My numbers are suppose to be <90 fasting and <130 one hr post meal.  My GD counselor said the standards have changed and they are about to change again.  I go to a MFM doctor at a university teaching hospital where they do a lot of research on GD.  I am actually participating in a study on how exercise within 30min of a meal affects sugar. 

I have also found that my body cannot tolerate milk or fruit in the morning and has really stopped tolerating the normal 30carbs I am "allowed".  So, I have been cutting back some to keep my numbers intact.  However, I can tolerate more carbs in the evening time and always have a nighttime snack of ice cream or Klondike bar!! It helps keep me sane!

TTC#1 11.1.2010 |  BFP 1.4.2011 | Benton Henry born 9.13.2011

TTC #2 11.1.2013 | BFP 12.17.13 | Due Date 8.22.14

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"