Natural Birth

have any of you had a twin natural birth?

Im really not ok with an epi but OB and Peri both say its a must for the birth of multiples. My alternative is that if they find they have to do an emergency c sec then I'll have to be put under if I don't have an epi. I could have one vaginally then find the second needs and emer c and be put under at that point. I guess what Im wondering if you have gone thru this what your experience was? Im 36 and this will be my first child birth coming up.

As for the safety of the babies what is more dangerous since they could get some of the drug if I have an epi, could they also get some of the drug that they may use to knock me out as well? what would be the lesser of two evils? I like to think positive that if I go naturally that I could have both that way but I know there is no way of knowing what lies ahead and I understand multiple births are sometimes risky. At this point Im seriously just coinsidering risking it and passing on having the epi and hoping for the best agains what my OB would like me to do.

Thanks for any info

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: have any of you had a twin natural birth?

• I have not had twins but my Grandmother had twins naturally, it can be done. I can see why they want you to get an epi but personally I wouldn't. I think that the baby can get the anesthesia if you are put under also but it would happen so quickly that it would probably be minimal. I would compromise with my doctors and agree to give birth in the surgical suit so that if a c-section was necessary we would already be there at least. Also say you delivered one naturally and then there was a problem and they needed to do a c-section as long as the second baby isn't crowning you could get a spinal which would numb you fast. It would probably be just as fast as putting you under.
  • imageSharon21:
    I have not had twins but my Grandmother had twins naturally, it can be done. I can see why they want you to get an epi but personally I wouldn't. I think that the baby can get the anesthesia if you are put under also but it would happen so quickly that it would probably be minimal. I would compromise with my doctors and agree to give birth in the surgical suit so that if a c-section was necessary we would already be there at least. Also say you delivered one naturally and then there was a problem and they needed to do a c-section as long as the second baby isn't crowning you could get a spinal which would numb you fast. It would probably be just as fast as putting you under.

thanks for the reply, I know it has been done but its a gamble. the ob says there isnt time for an epi if they had to do a c sec for baby b. I just think they love to push drugs on pregnant women too much sometimes. Tongue Tied

• Loading the player...
  • imagempstochlinski8:

imageSharon21:
    I have not had twins but my Grandmother had twins naturally, it can be done. I can see why they want you to get an epi but personally I wouldn't. I think that the baby can get the anesthesia if you are put under also but it would happen so quickly that it would probably be minimal. I would compromise with my doctors and agree to give birth in the surgical suit so that if a c-section was necessary we would already be there at least. Also say you delivered one naturally and then there was a problem and they needed to do a c-section as long as the second baby isn't crowning you could get a spinal which would numb you fast. It would probably be just as fast as putting you under.

thanks for the reply, I know it has been done but its a gamble. the ob says there isnt time for an epi if they had to do a c sec for baby b. I just think they love to push drugs on pregnant women too much sometimes. Tongue Tied

I could be wrong but I think there isn't time for an epi because they take a little while to numb you. However, a spinal (which is different from an epi) numbs you immediately. It really doesn't take long to place a spinal, so if I were you I would ask my doc about that. I agree with you that sometimes they push drugs too much. I would have a hard time being okay getting an epi I may not even need. But you need to do what you feel is right for you and your babies.

• I have a friend who had twins med-free 6 years ago.  Basically she planned to have them vaginally, but wanted an epi.  She didn't realize she was in labor (we should all be so lucky!), and showed up at the hospital fully dilated.  The doctor told her she had already done the hardest part and encouraged her to go without an epi even though she wanted one.  So it is possible!

Any one of us could have needed an emergency c-section and been put under.  The risk is greater when having twins, but it's a risk we all take when giving birth.  

• imagesschwege:

I have a friend who had twins med-free 6 years ago.  Basically she planned to have them vaginally, but wanted an epi.  She didn't realize she was in labor (we should all be so lucky!), and showed up at the hospital fully dilated.  The doctor told her she had already done the hardest part and encouraged her to go without an epi even though she wanted one.  So it is possible!

Any one of us could have needed an emergency c-section and been put under.  The risk is greater when having twins, but it's a risk we all take when giving birth.  

• imagesschwege:

I have a friend who had twins med-free 6 years ago.  Basically she planned to have them vaginally, but wanted an epi.  She didn't realize she was in labor (we should all be so lucky!), and showed up at the hospital fully dilated.  The doctor told her she had already done the hardest part and encouraged her to go without an epi even though she wanted one.  So it is possible!

thanks thats an excellent point that I hadn't even thought of! there are really times when a woman going natural could end up needing a c-sec, I know risk is higher with twins but I really have been thinking about this, reading, posting on here for a while now about it and I think I may just tell her I want to take my chances assuming babies are still in the right position when the big day arrives. they have been head down for a couple of weeks now hoping they stay put lol

• I had my twins without any meds and my doctor never suggested I needed an epi in case of emergency.  I did deliver in the OR and I was lucky that both my babies were head down. 

But it's really your call and something you need to feel comfortable with (as well as your doctor).

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Why did the Dr. say the 2nd twin might need to be a c-section? A breech presentation with twin B does not usually "necessitate" a cesarean delivery. I say that in quotes because people deliver breech babies all the time without complications but I understand that in recent years, US obstetricians have stopped being educated on how to deliver breech babies vaginally and instead began recommending cesareans. Regardless, I know you can do it but since it is a multiple delivery and you'll be in a hospital, I highly recommend hiring a doula. Even if you end up with a different result, she will be able to make you feel more at ease. I 'like' a Facebook group called Birth Without Fear and they have a blog with lots of videos and birth stories about natural multiple births. Good luck!
  • Is your doctor comfortable doing a breech extraction on B if needed? Is B head down? How are they sidewise - is B much bigger than A or are they close in size? my doctor has done a number of breech extractions on B without an epidural, and B isnt much bigger than A, but if he wasn't I would probably not go ahead without the epidural.
  • I originally hoped to deliver my twins med-free. However, I ended up having an induction after all. I tolerated the Pitocin contractions fine without meds and was walking around, laboring in different positions, etc. (I switched drs at 31w b/c my original practice was overly high-intervention, wouldn't consider intermittent EFM, etc.) After the dr broke my water things got very, very intense and I ended up getting an epidural about 2 hrs after that, by which point I was dilated to about a 7 or 8. You could consider asking for a walking epidural if you get one at all, or having one placed but only putting meds through it if needed.

My boys were both head-down when my induction started. After I pushed A out (took 3 hrs!) my OB did a u/s to check B/s position and discovered he had flipped to breech yet again so the OB did a breech extraction. Honestly I was VERY glad I had an epidural in place for that because from what I've heard, breech extractions can be incredibly painful with no meds.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • I should add, even though there were meds involved, I was fortunate that the things that were important to me still happened--able to move around freely during most of labor, got to deliver in a regular LDR room (with the OR team prepped and ready to go waiting out in the hallway just in case, during the whole pushing/delivery phase) instead of an OR, got to hold Baby A on my chest while B was delivered, delayed newborn procedures so I could do kangaroo care and BFing right away, etc.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • My aunt had twins last year natural the second one was even born breech. Like pps said she also had to deliver in the or.
    Wedding 6.18.04 Cole 11.20.06 Gavin 3.31.08 Parker 07.15.10 Logan 04.03.12
  • ej708ej708 member

I had my twin girls naturally 11 days ago!  I also had to deliver in the OR just in case baby B flipped or something else unexpected happened.  Everyone in the room was supportive of my decision to attempt to go natural and the topic of an epidural or other pain relief never came up.  By the time I thought I couldn't do it anymore, I was ready to push.  Unfortunately, I tore badly in 3 places and it took close to 2 hours to repair.  That was FAR worse than the labor and delivery combined. 

Good luck!

Our IVF miracles arrived on 7/20/11 at 37 weeks after 3 weeks of hospital bedrest! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers "Stubbornly persist, and you will find that the limits of your stubbornness go well beyond the stubbornness of your limits." ~Robert Brault
  • I am hoping and planning for a natural birth of twins as well, so I thought I'd chime in!

Based on all the research I have done, everything I've heard from other twin mamas, and from my midwife and ob:  if your mw/ob doesn't fully support your desire for a med-free birth, it is going to be very difficult to have one.  I would try to find another provider, if you can.  I saw 3 different doctors at 3 different practices before settling on a practice where I'm co-managed by an ob and a midwife. 

I will have to deliver in an operating room, but I can labor in a regular LDR in whatever positions I want, including shower, walking around, etc.  I will have a hep-lock but no spinal catheter, which means like you I run the risk of being put completely under if they have to do an emergency c-section for Baby B. 

To answer your question, my Bradley instructor would tell you that as far as the babies' exposure to medicine, the emergency c-section medicates them less and for a shorter amount of time, so it's safer than an epi.

Good luck to you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"