Trying to Get Pregnant

How long will you wait to share the news?

How long will you wait to share the news with family and friends?

With first LO I was approximately 8 weeks when we shared the big news.

I have been giving this a lot of thought with # 2.  I think if we get a BFP this round we will do the same thing and announce at 8 weeks because it will be around Labor Day and we will have picnics, etc... 

Any good ideas for announcing while at a picnic with a large group of people?

Re: How long will you wait to share the news?

• I want to wait as long as I can into the first trimester to announce it publicly. We'll probably tell our immediate families and really close friends around 6 weeks or so. I will probably wait until 10 or 12 weeks to announce it at work and to everyone else..if I can wait that long! Smile
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I have absolutely no idea. I told DH that I wanted to wait about 3 mths, to make the chance of m/c less. But, if I do have to go through a m/c I would want my mom to have known as she and I are really close. And if we tell my family - we'd have to tell his family.

I want to get a tshirt for my 11 yr old sister that says "I'm going to be an aunt" and have her go and put it on and come out for them to see. Theres a t shirt screening store right down the road from our apt. I don't know if that's what I'll actually end up doing though!

• Loading the player...
  • MH and I decided we would wait until we get it confirmed by our Dr.  I know, thats early ro be telling people, but we both know that we would not be able to keep that from our family and friends.  And if something were to go wrong with the pregnancy, we would want the support and prayers of them.  We may try to keep it to just close F&F at first, but we wouldn't expect that cat to stay in the bag very long. 
  • imagelaf10:
    I want to wait as long as I can into the first trimester to announce it publicly. We'll probably tell our immediate families and really close friends around 6 weeks or so. I will probably wait until 10 or 12 weeks to announce it at work and to everyone else..if I can wait that long! Smile
    This. After we hear a heartbeat, we'll tell our families. Then announce to everyone after 1st tri. A couple friends follow my chart, so they'll know earlier.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know for sure, but I am thinking 6-8 weeks for family and my best friends and 12+ weeks for everyone else.  I am horrible at keeping good news to myself and a bad liar so this will be tough for me when the time comes.

DX: Anovulation
    TX: IUI #1-4 = BFN + 1 c/p
    IUI #5: Clomid 100mg + Bravelle + Trigger + B2B IUIs + 800mg Progesterone = BFP!
    Beta #1 (14dpiui): 460 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 998 Beta #3 (23dpiui): 21,832 Beta #4 (29dpiui): 129,771

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I always envisioned not telling anyone (including family) until about 12 weeks.  However, the more I think about it, I think we'll tell immediate family (parents, brothers and sisters) immediately and wait until 12+ weeks to tell everyone else. 
    Married: 7/9/15
    Me: 37, DH: 36
    Started TTC #1: 9/2015
    Preliminary labs/testing @ 6 months: TSH, A1c, progesterone, prolactin, SA, HSG all normal
    BFP: 5/19/2016, M/C: 5/29/2016
    BFP: 6/22/2016  EDD 3//6/2017

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been thinking about this myself. I think that as soon as the pregnancy is confirmed I'll tell my parents, sisters, and maybe 1 close friend. Because if anything were to happen I would want their support, as others have said. For everyone else, maybe 3 months in? I have no idea how to break it to big groups of people...especially the students and faculty in my grad program. I think I'll ask another student who got pregnant and find out how she did it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We will probably tell our family as soon as it is confirmed by the doctor.  Then maybe a few of our close friends.  As far as the rest of the world and work, at least 12 weeks.
  • With our DD we told my parents, DH's parents, and my sister and brother-in-law right away.  We didn't tell anyone else until about 10 weeks.  I'm sure we'll do the same again this time.

As far as telling a large group of people....I've seen some really cute videos on youtube of people gathering for a group picture and instead of saying the typical "say cheese" they are told to say, "Say (your name here) is pregnant".  The videos are really cute of everyone's reactions.

Me-33 DH-33

DD #1 BFP 6-1-06 after 8 months of TTC

TTC #2 since July 2011

1st RE Appt 11/28/12 DX with PCOS, HSG and SA=Normal

Feb 2013-June 2013, 3 TI cycles and 2 IUI cyles with Letrozole, Ovidrel, and Dexamethasone=BFN!!!

July 2013-August 2013....taking a break and praying for a miracle

Fall 2013...will attempt IUI #3 and then seek 2nd opinion if it's a bust too

• DH and I both agree that we will only tell immediate family (my parents and siblings, and his parents) upon finding out we are pregnant. Everyone else will find out after the first trimester :)

Of course, this is providing I can keep my mouth shut because I am a terrible secret-keeper if it relates to exciting news :) DH knows all of his Christmas presents before Christmas :) Haha!

08.2008 | Diagnosed with PCOS
    11.2011 | First appointment with RE
    12.2011 | HSG reveals 100% blockages in both tubes
    02.2012 | Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy to unblock tubes...success!

{ BFP # 1 | April 1, 2012 }
    Jonah Alexander is here! Born 12.07.12 @ 39w3d

{ BFP # 2 | May 22, 2013 }
    Chemical Pregnancy :(

{ BFP # 3 | February 12, 2014 }
    So far, so good! We love you, little peanut!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We'll tell family and a few close friends after the 1st DR appt.  We'll tell everyone else around 12-14 weeks.
  • LLB430LLB430 member

Last time we told immediate family the day we found out (I am a terrible at hiding news and we were having a family gathering) This time though I will tell my parents and sister right away but dh's family not til as close to 12 weeks as possible.  The reason being is that I don't want dd to know until we know things are looking good and I don't trust my in laws not to discuss it around her or even tell her directly.  

Two of my closest friends will also know right away. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • We told our parents immediatley. We will do the same with our next pregnancy. Then tell close friends after we see a heartbeat. I would like to hold off on everyone else until 12 weeks. Since we suffered a loss we don't want to tell the world, but we do want the support of our close friends and family god forbid something go wrong again.
  • imageKdgTeacher:
    We'll tell family and a few close friends after the 1st DR appt.  We'll tell everyone else around 12-14 weeks.

This exactly, but no facebook announcement for us.  Not going to happen.  I've seen too many friends have to announce a miscarriage on that damn site. 

image      image    

IVF #1 September 2012, beta #1: 213; beta #2: 580. Expecting Twins! 
    EDD 6/9 lost one angel at 9w3d :( 
    Baby boy arrived 6/1/13
    FET #1 10/14, BFP -Chemical Pregnancy :(
    Everyone Welcome

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I don't think we would wait very long to tell our parents....maybe a week or two.  I would just want a little time for it to sink in and believe it myself.  Since it will be the first grandchild for my dad, I want to make it pretty special so we would have to arrange a get together, like dinner or something.  He works a lot, so that might take a few weeks to get together. 

I kind of feel like we should tell my dad first...not that my inlaws won't be excited, but this will be their 7th grandchild, and I feel like we sometimes cater to my inlaws more (go to their house for holidays more, etc) so it would be nice to give my dad the first news.  So then it might take another week or two to tell them.

Maybe a few more weeks to tell siblings...best friends probably right away cause I would definitely want them there should the worst happen....3 months for everyone else.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• With LO we told family after about 2 weeks because it was 4th of July and everyone was together.  If this is my cycle I plan on waiting to tell at labor day because SIL *was* due with her first on Friday so everyone is waiting on baby to arrive and it is her special time...plus we live in different states but will be together for labor day.  I have major dreams of LO walking up to them at the airport with a big brother shirt on I would love that!  That would be about 8-9 weeks and would tell everyone else after back from vacation that is long enough if I can keep it together that long haha!
    ~Mel~ Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • With my daughter I was 14 weeks before I knew (wasn't trying and didn't miss my period completely so had no idea).  I am hoping to be able to hold off to 12 weeks to tell anyone but I seriously doubt that will happen so probably 8 or 9 weeks.  I will probably feel the need to tell my parents and his parents right away just to have someone to share our happiness with!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ideally 12 weeks.  I have a feeling though I will end up telling my parents probably around 8 weeks or so and will tell everyone else at 12 weeks.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • After first tri. I saw a heartbeat with my first pregnancy and then there wasn't one when I was 10 weeks along. So the idea that you can feel more comfortable once you've seen a heartbeat doesn't sit well with me anymore.

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

• DH and i had originally thought the standard 3 months but if i miscarry i will be super depressed and ppl will know something is up. i will want support from family and friends. so then we figured close family and friends once its confirmed. then last night we realized my work will have to know as soon as its confirmed. i work in a hospital with some potentially awful bugs and pts that weight 200+ lbs that can't move at all. the ppl making my assignments will have to know so that i don't get those assignments. and if those ppl know my entire floor will know within 24 hours.

so now it looks like when we know lots of ppl will know. plus that way i can complain about the unhappy 1st trimester stuff on FB and at work :-)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We will probably wait till the 12 week mark. My MIL and SIL can't keep secrets so everyone would know. I think I would possibly tell my mom after the pregnancy has been confirmed and maybe a couple close friends to have support incase something goes wrong.

• my sister is the biggest gossip and lives with friends of mine (one being a very gossipy gay man). So the one person who I would want to tell, I can't!!! She would tell him and everyone would know. 

I think for that reason we will just wait and tell her and family at 8 weeks, then pretty much everyone else will know anyway via my blabbermouth sister. Then at 12 weeks post something like "Second Trimester" on fb.  

I love the t-shirt idea! I might have to get sister a t-shirt that says "soon to be Auntie (her name)"  

• I think we will tell our parents and my sister right away. I need to be able to talk to someone about it, but we won't want to tell anyone else, just in case.

Probably around 12 weeks is when we'll spread the news to everyone else. :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"