Two Under 2

Car seat positioning...

I am now over due and think it is about time to put the carseat in. Now, where did you put your toddler and then your infant seat? I can't figure out which is the safest for them. DS is FF and I believe because he is he needs to be in the safer of the two sides, which one is that (driver or passenger)?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Car seat positioning...

• We have LO1 (FF in a convertible seat) behind the passenger seat and LO2 (RF in an infant seat) behind the driver's seat. This is the only way they will fit, because LO1 needs more room in the convertible seat and I'm shorter so DH needs to have the driver's seat back more. (Hope that makes sense!) They won't fit any other way.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If your DS is FF, the safest place for him is in the middle.  It seems like they are always changing, which side is safer.  I have DD1 behind the passenger because there's a lot of street parking in our city and that way she gets out on the sidewalk, instead of the street.  DD2 is behind the drive.  Both kids are RF.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Loading the player...
  • Because DH needs the space to put the chair back when he's driving, DD is FF behind the driver's seat. The convertible carseat we have for both kids is very large when RF so DS's is RF in the middle seat.

(DD was just turned FF so we never had an infant seat + convertible seat. We just have 2 convertibles now that DD is FF.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Like a PP said, the safest spot for your FF kiddo is in the middle as he is least protected by being FF. I don't think there is any solid, consistent data indicating one side of the car is safer than the other.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • There is no safer side of the car - if you get hit on one kid's side, that's obviously the dangerous side, right?  Just make sure everything is installed properly and drive defensively and cross your fingers.  FWIW I have DS1 still rear-facing on the passenger side and DS2 (7 weeks old) behind the driver's seat for safety loading and unloading the car.  The toddler gets out on the sidewalk side, and I carry the baby out of the traffic side so I'm in control of him, obviously. 
  • Id love to DS in the middle as he is FF, turned him before I knew of the change and not a good thing when tried to turn back, but I feel it could be dangerous for the newborn. It is a tough decision and it seems people do both. 
  • we have an odyssey, DS is FF behind the passenger side, DD is RFing behind the driver. We just moved his captains chair closer to DD so he is more in the middle. We waited to do it bc he wouldve thrown things/taken things from the baby...now that she is older he and she play and hold hands. Its cute. Its also easier to get to the back row now. 
  • imageCaitlinJ22:
    we have an odyssey, DS is FF behind the passenger side, DD is RFing behind the driver. We just moved his captains chair closer to DD so he is more in the middle. We waited to do it bc he wouldve thrown things/taken things from the baby...now that she is older he and she play and hold hands. Its cute. Its also easier to get to the back row now. 

Oh wow, I never even thought to see if we can move one of the captains chairs. Good idea! We have a Quest though.

DS is RF in a convertible on the driver's side and DD is in an infant seat  on the passenger's side. DH and I are usually together if we're out with both children. He always drives and he carries / buckles heavier DS while I carry / snap in DD.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We have DD1 behind the driver's side RFing and DD2 behind the passenger's side in her infant seat (well, we will when she's here ;-)). I would have preferred to have DD1 behind the passenger so I could reach her better to hand her things, but DH took them to be inspected and he didn't ask if he should keep them how I had them, so he switched them thinking there'd be less of a blind spot with DD1 behind the driver.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • DS is behind the passenger and DD is behind the driver.  I don't think one side is safer than the other
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelcunningham:
    Id love to DS in the middle as he is FF, turned him before I knew of the change and not a good thing when tried to turn back, but I feel it could be dangerous for the newborn. It is a tough decision and it seems people do both. 

RF is 5 times safer than forward facing for children two and under. Your newborn is more protected by default than your forward facing toddler because rear-facing offers the child more protection than forward-facing does. I understand your hesitation to have a seemingly more fragile newborn outboard as it feels like the more vulnerable seating position, but knowing the safety benefits behind RF over FF, I would put my own FF child in the middle and my baby outboard without hesitation. 

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"