Toddlers: 24 Months+

Vent: Friend on FB doesn't need to babyproof

I usually don't get too involved to things people post of FB, but she really sounds so judgmental I had to get it out somewhere. Her husband was making breakfast and her son climbed the stairs and into her bed while she was sleeping. She's blasting her DH because he wasn't watching her son. When someone pointed out that kids are fast and try not to be too hard on him this once, she replied:

"I didn't baby proof because I ALWAYS know where my child is and what hes doing...guess I should have baby proofed for dad... Some people need babyproofing, doesnt mean your a bad parent but thats how kids drown in a backyard pool, or neighbors find them walking two blocks from home." 

Funny, I thought I was being responsible baby-proofing just in case I couldn't be there every second.

DS 5 years old
DD 2 years old
{Baby GIRL due 6.1}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Vent: Friend on FB doesn't need to babyproof

• To each their own.

I didn't go baby-proof crazy either. We have a gate at the stairs and outlet covers. That's it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I haven't either, but we did protect the stairs. It just seems crazy that if you don't babyproof, how can you be that upset when the kid goes up the stairs. Kids to get into things, doesn't mean you're a bad parent. I felt bad for the poor guy!
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebrideofscowboy:

To each their own.

I didn't go baby-proof crazy either. We have a gate at the stairs and outlet covers. That's it.

Same. I was blessed with a very good kid who doesn't get into anything. I'm hoping the next one is the same too.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebrideofscowboy:

To each their own.

Same here, that is all we did.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our baby proofing included: plugging in outlet covers and mounting our sword collection on the wall instead of on the bookshelves (DH collects swords). We live in a one level apartment.
  • Babyproofing aside, I have to raise my eyebrows at "I ALWAYS know where my child is." Seriously? Her husband is making breakfast. She should be happy he tried to let her sleep in and realize that he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head. I don't think any of us do. We're human.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageanna7602:
    Babyproofing aside, I have to raise my eyebrows at "I ALWAYS know where my child is." Seriously? Her husband is making breakfast. She should be happy he tried to let her sleep in and realize that he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head. I don't think any of us do. We're human.

I agree, that's the part that bugs me too.  You may *think* you always know where your child is but people (even responsible adults) get distracted and accidents happen.  She needs to lay off on her DH I think.

• imagemavs_girl07:

imageanna7602:
    Babyproofing aside, I have to raise my eyebrows at "I ALWAYS know where my child is." Seriously? Her husband is making breakfast. She should be happy he tried to let her sleep in and realize that he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head. I don't think any of us do. We're human.

I agree, that's the part that bugs me too.  You may *think* you always know where your child is but people (even responsible adults) get distracted and accidents happen.  She needs to lay off on her DH I think.

She's going to be "that" person that something bad happens to only because she's SO sure she is 100% on top of it, that she doesn't worry.  Then one day, something is going to happen and she's going to be totally shocked.

As w/ others, we didn't do a ton of babyproofing.  But every door to the outside has a special knob on it, and our gate out of our backyard has a latch on it that DS can't reach. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• While we didn't babyproof in the trad'l sense, we did put a gate at the top of our stairs at our old house (no stairs at the new house), as a "just in case".

I don't have a problem w/ her not babyproofing, as much as her:

a) being out of touch w/ reality. Kids are faster than you think, and it is physically impossible for you to watch them every. single. second. For instance, does she not bathe?

b) her judginess. To each their own. You don't wanna do it, fine. But what's with the judging other parents? That just gets me. I judge her judginess. Stick out tongue

• imageanna7602:

This. It takes mere seconds for a smart toddler to open a cabinet and drink Drain-o or something, and emergencies happen - phone calls, spilled milk, pet issues, etc. You leave a room for 2 seconds and DD has found a way to pull open the knife drawer or something. It happens. All the time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"