Parenting

Poll 2: Do you floss DC's teeth? Be honest!

I hope I'm not the only one, but I don't and it never really occurred to me. My friend just found out her kids have 2-3 cavities due to not flossing (4  years old). Now I'm paranoid. Do most people floss their kid's teeth? I think maybe I dropped the ball on this one (although I did ask 2 irl friends and they didn't do it either so maybe I'm not really in the minority..I bet I am on the nest though ;) ).

Re: Poll 2: Do you floss DC's teeth? Be honest!

• sometimes.  sometimes they just like to play with the dinosaur floss thingies (and kind of floss for themselves).  some weeks they don't play and I don't do at all.  I buy them (the dinosaur floss thingies) with full intent on flossing their teeth regularly... but I don't . 
  • DS does floss because he likes it and thinks it is cool (probably a few times a week.) I am just trying to get him in the habit for when his permanent teeth come in, but I don't see it making much of a difference now as he space between his teeth.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMayorMcCheese000:
    DS does floss because he likes it and thinks it is cool (probably a few times a week.) I am just trying to get him in the habit for when his permanent teeth come in, but I don't see it making much of a difference now as he space between his teeth.

This. Both girls love doing it, but they have a lot of space between each tooth. But we do floss 4-5 times a week.

{Ava 5.16.06} {Ella 12.29.07} {Drew 2.9.10}
  • Yes I do now.  I never did before but seeing as though Danicas teeth are going to cost me over a grand to fix up because of cavities I never miss it now.  We brush 2x a day and floss at night
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • my husband does the bedtime routine and he takes ccare of that. Every night

• I do now that my oldest had 4 cavities-all in between the teeth.  ugh.
    Nathan 7-13-06 ~ Elizabeth 4-12-09 ~ Zachary 8-5-11
  • We just started about 2 months ago.  Every night.  Only their molars touch.
    DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010
  • REOMREOM member

Yes, but only after the dentist told us that DD#1's teeth are so close together that cavities are inevitable if we don't.

She (the dentist) also said that while it wasn't really necessary for DD#2 since her teeth are further apart, it's best to establish good habits at a young age. So they both use those plastic flosser things at night.

DD1 12.18.06 DD2 9.18.08 DD3 EDD 5.10.2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • We do floss DD1's teeth about every 2-3 nights.  Her back teeth are really close together and her dentist said she's destined to get cavities back there.  I floss my teeth every night and oral hygiene is pretty important to me.  So we do it.

I bought the brightly colored flossers so she likes picking out a different color each time.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I do it once or twice a week. It often makes her gums bleed, so I don't like to do it every night. I use the little flossers on handles.
  • I have before, but not a regular thing.  both kids actually really like it, so I should do it more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Once every few weeks...they like the flossers and will do it themselves (but its really not effective).  DD has had 2 cavities both in her 6 year molars when they were coming in.  The boys haven't had any.   We do brush 2x daily (and DS1 does at lunch at daycare also).  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You're not alone, I never have either.  The dentist told us that Ian's teeth had good spacing up til his last appt and to start, and for some embarassing reason it completely slipped my mind.  Max's teeth still have the spacing.

So if those flosser things work I will have to go get some.  I don't want to shove my fingers in his mouth, really...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersimageimage
  • We use those denta pics for kids probably not as good as regular flossing but at least it s something.
  • Yes, we do.  I don't think it's that big a deal until around 3 or so, because their teeth are so far apart.  Right now, we don't get much when we floss TB's, but ML's is always crammed, especially after we have chicken or pork.

Sorry, but I think it's gross when I hear people don't floss their own teeth, and since that's gross, by extension, it's gross if kids' teeth don't get flossed.
  • justEKjustEK member

I'm with Aggie. 

We floss both of their teeth every night. DS was putting DS to bed for a few months and he was not flossing, but I told him if he didn't want to- I would. DS's teeth are still pretty far apart, but we still get stuff out of them every night.  

• After we had to get 6 cavities filled on DS, we floss every night!
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Yes, every night since he turned 3 1/2.     We use the floss picks - WAY easier than regular floss and just as effective.  I do the backs. He does the fronts.  His teeth don't touch in the front, but there are places that food gets lodged in his back teeth.  I don't think any amount of brushing can really get inbetween the teeth like floss can and DS has soft teeth like me, so we do it to prevent cavities.

David "BD" 2/8/07 Spencer 9/12/11
  • No I don't. The spaces between her teeth are so big now that I'm not sure floss really makes a difference. In fact, I'm pretty sure the dentist told us to start flossing just so it becomes part of our routine and DD gets used to it.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I asked this very question not long ago.

imageREOM:

Yes, but only after the dentist told us that DD#1's teeth are so close together that cavities are inevitable if we don't.

She (the dentist) also said that while it wasn't really necessary for DD#2 since her teeth are further apart, it's best to establish good habits at a young age. So they both use those plastic flosser things at night.

This, except DD's teeth are the close together ones, and DS's aren't. Our dentist was really all about establishing the habit, which I think is good.

We brush teeth twice/day, and floss every night now using the plastic flossers.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"