High-Risk Pregnancy

Anyone used the 17P shots and they worked?

I am currently taking the shots, and I was wondering if anyone has taken them and they have worked to get them to full term. I need some extra motivation. I am already having more BH than I want to be at this point, so of course I worry. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone used the 17P shots and they worked?

• I did!  I had a late loss with my second pregnancy.  I took the P17 shots until I delivered.  I have a perfect 2 year old to show for it  :)
  • imagesarahjames9:
    I am currently taking the shots, and I was wondering if anyone has taken them and they have worked to get them to full term. I need some extra motivation. I am already having more BH than I want to be at this point, so of course I worry. Thanks!

What is BH?  I didn't take the 17P but I just started the Makena injections (they are pretty much the same thing) and I wasn't sure about it but I went for it.  I have a 15 month old and went into PTL with him at 29 weeks and stayed in the hospital for 5 weeks then 2 more weeks of bedrest at home before I had him.  I am hopeful that they will help and I definitely do not want another hosptial stay because of my DS. 

• Loading the player...
  • I had them with my last pg as a precaution from my first pg.

With my son, I had PTL, irritable uterine activity around 22 wks. I was in and out of L&D with him so much I can't recall all of the detailed dates, but I went in again around 33 wks and was on a mag IV for almost 2 weeks when my dr decided it was best to go ahead and break my water. I was having symptoms of possible abruption.

The shots really seems to work with my second. I started them around 15-16 weeks with her and I didn't have any PTL issues until around 35 weeks and was able to stay at home on bedrest and taking turbutaline (Sp?) as needed for 2 weeks. She was born just a few days before my due date.

I basically insisted on the 17p shots with this pregnancy from my first appt, even before we found out about twins. (New state, new dr.)  Yes, they hurt like the devil and it's a little inconvenient to have to go every week with older sibs in tow, but it's worth it to me. My dr is now doing a lot of pro-active things with me because of the twins. I fully believe the shots this time are what's keeping me from going into full blown labor at this stage, which is very scary to even think about.

The only side effects to me are the pain from the meds due to how thick it is and it takes awhile to be absorbed. I had some very very minor bruising. Just make sure you alternate which cheek you get your injection in every week and it really helps. My dr is against taking these shots at home unless you have someone who is trained in giving deep intramuscular injections (like an RN) because if you don't get it deep enough, it can be ineffective, as well as cause some sort of tissue inflamation/infection. I want to say he said Necrosis but I could be wrong.

Sorry I wrote you a book.. Good luck!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• I have been taking them since week 17 this time. I had preterm labor at 30wks with DS and he was born a t 36wks. Healthy thanks goodness, but if I can prevent all of the labor issues this time around I am willing to try anything I can. I think my main issue is irritable uterus. BH are braxton hicks to pp. I just wanted some feedback that the shots actually did keep the baby in there. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"