Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

EVERY time he has milk he gets constipated..?

First of all....hello everyone. I have not been on here in a looooong time.

Anyhow, my question is about milk. Every time I try to give my son milk (turned 1 on June 30th) he gets really constipated. It even effects him if I add 1 ounce to a 7 ounce bottle of formula. He drinks regular (Target brand) formula with out any problems. I have tried it with whole milk and 2%. I wouldn't think he has a milk tolerance problem because he take his formula just fine...right?...and it is milk based.

This is a new ball-game for me bc when my daughter switched to milk it only took her a few days without any complications. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: EVERY time he has milk he gets constipated..?

• Ahh, I could have written this post!  Our son turned 1 in Dec. We have tried switching him to cow's milk 3 different times now, each and every time it ended with severe constipation that we had to intervene to relieve. He would sit on the floor and scream in pain, it was not fun!  All of the usual remedies never helped him, such as the "p's: prunes, plums, peaches, pears", etc. We tried soy milk, he throws it up.

The first two times we tried whole milk, then the last time 2%. Each time we tried it was months apart from the last attempt. Up until his 18 month appt, we kept him on regular Target brand infant formula and he takes 1 tsp of Miralax a day. He has always been fine on his formula, eats cheese and yogurt as well. But, as soon as we try to introduce milk it's all over. At his 18 mth appt, we switched him to the toddler formula. His pedi is aware of the situation obviously and has instructed us to just keep him on toddler formula for as long as he will tolerate it. He loves his "milk", so I see no end in sight for quite some time. From what we have learned, it seems as though he probably has a cow's milk protein allergy. Most kids that have this seem to eventually grow out of it, usually between the ages of 3-5.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Yeap, that sounds exactly what happens to Sam - screams from the pain! It is terrible. He too is fine with milk, cheese, yogurt, ect.  I already have the toddler milk on my shopping list :) I may try soy first though bc that is one avenue I haven't tried.
    The pediatrician didn't seemed concerned about it at all. Time will tell I guess.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • When we tried soy, the first bottle he had...he puked it up. We thought it was just a coincidence, so we did a second bottle at his next feeding. Nope, same thing happened. So, we just stuck with what works for us and switched to the toddler formula. Other than the expense, it has worked awesome for us!

Our Pedi was kinda the same way as yours. Didn't seem concerned in the least, didn't want to run any tests/blood or whatever. Just said if the formula works, there is absolutely no harm in keeping him on it. Our son isn't a big eater either, so the formula is a good option for us so that it "fills" him up more than ordinary milk would. He also gets lots of the vitamins from the formula, again since he isn't a veggie or meat eater either.

If you do decide to go the route of toddler formula, here is what I discovered in all my research: in my area at least, Walmart brand was a little over $1 cheaper per can than Target's brand. Enfagrow is by far the most expensive, but if you are able to you can stack a formula check with a manufacturer's coupon when they have them out to bring this cost down below the Walmart or Target brands.

I wish you guys the best of luck. I know first hand how very very hard and trying this all is. We have been through 3 rounds of it and the sheer agony of watching them in so much pain...it's torture on us as Mom's. I mean literally, DH and I check in with eachother to see if he has pooped yet today...that's what our life has come to. But, you know, our LO is so worth it. He is our world and you do what you have to do!! If you have any other questions or need help, you can always private message me.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Soy can tend to mimic dairy so that might be why your LO was having a problem.  Plus tbh I personally wouldn't want to give something so estrogen based to such a little developing body.  We use alt. milk and stick w/coconut and hemp if you were looking for a suggest.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD had a very long trasition to cow's milk, probably 2+ months.  I took her to the pedi & they gave me something called lactulose to help when other suggestions didn't help.  I didn't have to give her a lot (less than they prescribed), and at least it kept the painful, crying BM's from happening.  We probably used it for about 5wks before I slowly gave her less & less of it & now she can have milk no problem.  For whatever reason, it just took her a long time to adjust to the cow's milk, but she obviously doesn't still have a problem because all is fine now.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"