January 2012 Moms

What age is good for Trick or Treating?

My SIL is asking on Facebook whether she should take DD (who will be 15 months) trick or treating this year.

What's your opinion on how early you should take your LO trick or treating?

ETA: If you're bringing them along with an older sibling, that's totally different. I'm asking from the viewpoint of this being your first child, and it would just be you, SO, and child.

Re: What age is good for Trick or Treating?

• Me and two other people said no. 10 people said yes. Some of the people who said yes said I was "ridiculous and weird" for saying she's too young.

I'm sorry, but I think it's silly. If two grown adults came to my door alone with their barely walking, non-speaking child asking for candy I would think they were insane. That's her and her BF taking DD along for trick or treating, not DD trick or treating. I firmly believe that a child should be old enough to walk the entire time, SAY "trick or treat" hold (AND EAT) their own candy.

Am I alone?

• I agree! I intend to have Raeleigh dressed up for Halloween but will not be going door to door until she can enjoy it! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh and some people were like "just because she's not old enough to remember doesn't mean she can't eat the candy". WTF? My 15 month old won't be eating ANY of the sticky, chocolaty, hard candy that's passed out on Halloween. I can't believe I'm  in the minority on this, but maybe I am.
  • DS was two weeks shy of 1 year old on his first Halloween. We put him in a costume and took him trick or treating in a wagon, but really we just followed his big cousins around. It was the afternoon, so it wasn't really more than going out for a walk to him. We only took him to maybe two doors (or people we knew) for a photo op. They knew we were coming and gave him a little box of cheerios and animal crackers instead of candy.He did walk up to those two doors by himself. :)

On the flip side, my completely mature cousin and his girlfriend took their then two month old son out on a chilly night to trick of treat, so they could get the free candy.

Too each his own, I guess! 

DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrs.AMB07:

DS was two weeks shy of 1 year old on his first Halloween. We put him in a costume and took him trick or treating, but really we just followed his big cousins around. We only took him to maybe two doors (or people we knew) for a photo op. They knew we were coming and gave him a little box of cheerios and animal crackers instead of candy. :)

100% okay with me. You were with older children, and the people didn't hand DS candy. I have NO issue with that.

On the flip side, my completely mature cousin and his girlfriend took their then two month old son out on a chilly night to trick of treat, so they could get the free candy.

This is what SIL is doing. She is 23 and her BF is 30 and they will NO DOUBT be eating the candy. I just don't get it. If you want the costume part, take her to MIL's house (where we hand out candy every year together) and let her sit with us on the porch and people can coo at her there.

• I took DS when he was almost 13 months old. HOWEVER it wasn't door to door. Our neighborhood does a block party where everyone sets up games and stuff in their driveway and he didn't eat his candy. He was dressed like Yoda and was a big hit with the neighbors lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagem.mckee1224:
    imageMrs.AMB07:

DS was two weeks shy of 1 year old on his first Halloween. We put him in a costume and took him trick or treating, but really we just followed his big cousins around. We only took him to maybe two doors (or people we knew) for a photo op. They knew we were coming and gave him a little box of cheerios and animal crackers instead of candy. :)

100% okay with me. You were with older children, and the people didn't hand DS candy. I have NO issue with that.

This is what SIL is doing. She is 23 and her BF is 30 and they will NO DOUBT be eating the candy. I just don't get it. If you want the costume part, take her to MIL's house (where we hand out candy every year together) and let her sit with us on the porch and people can coo at her there.

I agree with you. After an hour or so he stayed in costume and loved handing it out to the big kids.  

DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

• I don't think they are really old enough to actually go trick or treating until maybe 3. That said, I did take my daughter last year when she was only 5 months old but we weren't really truly trick or treating. I dressed her up and took her around to a couple of my coworkers houses so they could see how cute she was then we went to a thing at church for a little bit. I think it's ok to dress them up and do that. We only went to like 3 houses.
    Rachel, mama to Ava (6), Olivia (4), Nora (2), and baby#4 on the way.

• DS was 3 for his first time. He was able to keep up and ring the bell and say Trick or Treat. It was the perfect time to start for us. We push DD in the stroller.
    Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • I took my Goddaughter trick or treating when she was 11 months old. We dressed her up and only went to a few houses. She was walking already, but of course we only stood her on the porch when we rang the doorbell. Everyone we saw loved her costume and it made for great pics and memories! I'm glad I got to share that with her. Now it's a tradition and I take her and her two younger sisters every year. For me it's not about the candy, it's the memories. So I guess the twins will be out with us Halloween 2012!
  • My aunt took her son T-or-Ting from less than one year.  They just need to be dressed appropriately, and at that age it's more about showing off the cute costume and the adults getting candy (haha) than for the baby.  Just be ready to turn around and go home if its not going well and know that she and anyone else who goes with her will be pushing the kid in a stroller all evening.  I would probably try it since by Halloween the baby will be 9 mo. but that is because we will be going out with cousins and the family, not just by ourselves.

Honestly, I think a kid-fiendly party would be better at that age, but I don't think its a bad idea to take the LO out for a while.

• I agree with you. DS was 10 months last year- we dressed him up for handing out candy at my IL's house, but there was no way we would have taken him trick or treating. Even this year I don't know that we will. He'll be almost 2 (22 months) and will be able to walk to the houses and probably attempt to say " trick or treat," but I still wouldn't want him eating most candy we would get. Next year would probably be more ideal for his first experience.
  • We'll take DS this year for the first time. He'll be 3 1/2. I believe at this age he is old enough for us to explain safety rules to, and he can eat some candy within limitation.

The last couple of years we have dressed him up and taken him to all the grandparent's houses. They all live within 15 minutes of us. We would go to some of the Fall Festivals at local churches as well.

15 months is way too young!
  • That is silly. I took DD to visit family members in her costume last year but that's about it. She is too little for candy and doesn't understand trick or treating. Parents dragging their babies around is greedy - go buy your own damn candy. It makes me want to buy some Gerber puffs or something to pass out to any babies that come trick or treat here!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DS's first year, we took him to my grandparents house and "trick or treated" there.  He had 2 other cousins born that year and we all gathered there to see the kids dressed up.

Last year, DS was about 15 months and we took him to a community halloween party and then "trick or treated" at a two people's houses that we knew.

• This year we'll take her out, but only to my sisters house, brothers house and a couple of friends houses.  It won't be an actual "trick or treat" that we do.  We probably won't let her do full trick or treating until maybe 3 or 4.  She might get a little chocolate bar or something from the houses, and we will probably let her eat it, but it won't be eaten all that night or at her discretion either!

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• IMHO I think when a child is old enough to walk and say "Trick to Treat" he or she is then old enough to go door to door. 

I have nothing against dressing a baby up for Halloween, but I wouldn't take him/her door to door. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I had not really thought about it but I assume that we will dress LO up and take to the grandparents's houses to see them. But I don't plan on taking my LO door to door until they can really understand the fun of Halloween. Probably around 3? That is just my guess.
  • ambs21ambs21 member
    DD had a blast last Halloween at 16 mos.  We only went to a few houses around our block and had a friend and her little girl (who is 6 days younger than mine) go with us.  The daddies stayed home and handed out candy since we were only gone for a few minutes.  Most people tried to give soft candies that she could eat, but we only got a few pieces since we didn't go to very many houses.  She had a couple, and DH ate some too.  She said "peas" (please) instead of trick or treat and thanked everyone.  She said hi to every pet and person we saw.  She was SO excited.  I wouldn't do a long night of trick or treating at this age, but a few houses is a fun treat.
  • I say the kid can trick-or-treat for as much candy as they're going to be able/allowed to eat. 

Where my parents live (and many places, I imagine) they have festivals for kids where there is a section for trick or treating, and then a section for games & such.  It's honestly really annoying when the parents walk around with a kid that young and a big bucket of candy, with no other siblings in sight.  Give me a break, we know the parent is going to eat all the candy!

• I would maybe take a 15month old to my neigbors house to trick or treat, but that would be about it. Then back home to pass out candy for others and bed time.

BFP#1 11.19.10 Missed MC 01.10.11 Sam & Alex
    BFP#2 05.08.11 Birthday 1.11.12 Peyton
    BFP#3 06.10.12 Birthday 2.14.13-Cooper Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Congrats to my buddy Ambs21! Welcome to the world Audrey!
    Congrats to my buddy Mork! Welcome sweet E!
  • We took our DD around the neighborhood when she was 15 months and she loved it! We only went to about 8 houses and it was a lot of fun. I see nothing wrong with it. Edited to add that our DD could walk perfectly and we even taught her to say trick or treat. The neighbors loved it!
  • I would have to say 3 or 4 is ok for Trick or Treating. I HATE when parents come around with their kid in a stroller and grocery bag and want candy. Yeah, you're 6 month old is eating that candy. So stupid.

I would also have to say that if you are very friendly with your neighbors it's ok to take your kid around to a couple places when they are younger just to say hi and show off the cute costume. I think your SIL should find some friends with older children and just go around with them and maybe not actually go up to get any candy. Like a Halloween dry run. It's still fun walking around but it doesn't make her look ridiculous. How much is a bag of Halloween candy? $5? You want some that bad just go buy it for crying out loud.

• I have no problem taking them at any age.  DS was almost 4 months for his 1st Halloween.  We dressed him up, took a lot of pics then went to about 3 or 4 of my mom's neighbor's houses to take pics and say he went TOTing.   Then when he was about 16 months old, we went to a fall fest at the church he goes to MDO at and also went TOTing to a few of my mom's neighbors and that was it. 

Last year we only went to the Fall Festival because we have since found out that ds is allergic to all types of nuts, peanuts, and chocolate.  So really, there is no point in going TOTing because he cant have half or more of what will be handed out to him.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • imageMommy2Grayson:
    We'll take DS this year for the first time. He'll be 3 1/2. I believe at this age he is old enough for us to explain safety rules to, and he can eat some candy within limitation.

The last couple of years we have dressed him up and taken him to all the grandparent's houses. They all live within 15 minutes of us. We would go to some of the Fall Festivals at local churches as well.

15 months is way too young!

This is what we did with my DS. I agree that 15 months is too young. I understand wanting pictures and all that but you don't need to take them full out trick or treating for that. My DS was not eating candy at 15 months. I held out on the candy as long as I could.

• I dressed DS up at that age and brought him to all my neighbors to trick or treat but not to strangers. It was more so everyone could see how cute he was!
                     7/08, 1/12, 2/14, Due with baby #4  2/12/16 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We took DS to a few neighbor's houses last year (when he was almost 2) and he thought it was really fun to go ring the doorbell, say "Twick oh tweat". However, he can't accept candy because of his severe peanut allergy so we didn't go for the candy aspect.

After we did the neighbor's houses, we took him up to our church where they had tons of stuff to do, and he had a blast.

I think a 15 month old might think it's fun to ring a doorbell, but that's abou it. I certainly wouldn't judge the parent who wants to show off her adorable kiddo all dressed up to a few neighbors, but I'd give it the side eye if she was actually collecting lots of candy from each house (to obviously eat herself).

• We live in a neighborhood with a lot of recent immigrants.  Halloween is a blast, and also kind of funny.  It's a blast because we have had more trick-or-treaters than ever.  I think because we're in a high density, low income area, there are fewer block parties or other events to go to.  However, we've totally had adults come to our door with pillowcases, without costumes or children, and look a little skeptical as they said "trick or treat."  We assume these people are generally recent immigrants who didn't quite understand Halloween when it was described to them.  It is kind of a weird celebration. 

These are a completely different story from the college kids who stop by on their way downtown to go clubbing.  

After our first year here, we stuck to two bowls of candy.  The good stuff for kids, and the crappy stuff for adults.  We give adults with even very young kids the benefit of the doubt. 

For our own, we'll probably look for some sort of family friendly party until 3 years, then do trick-or-treating. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Okay...maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't intend to even ask for opinions about taking my DS trick or treating this year.  He will be 20 months old.  I think it's up to the parents to decide if their kid can handle trick or treating, so your sister was silly for asking people on FB in the first place.  If I know my kid will enjoy the experience, I don't care who judges me for doing it.

Last year DS was only 8 months and we did the "trick, treat or read" at the library, mostly so that he could wear his costume and because they weren't handing out candy.  We also went to a friend's house to hand out candy to trick or treaters.  We didn't even consider going out for trick or treating ourselves.

This year, I fully plan on taking DS around our small neighborhood.  I know that DS will enjoy himself and I couldn't care less if we get candy or not.  He'll have fun taking a walk in his costume, visiting the neighbors and seeing the other kids out.  If we do get candy, he'll get tiny bits for as long as it lasts.  We'll save the full on trick or treating for when he is old enough for it, but we'll do a little more each year until then.

Lucas Arlo - 2/26/10, Cordelia Jane - 1/20/12 
    #3 is due 8/27/14

imageimage
  • We didn't go door to door with DD until she was 3. DS was a little over one and went with us. The little dude stole a candy bar and ate through the wrapper, lol. They both really enjoyed dressing up at around 15 months, but I'd be more likely to take them to a party or a trick or treating event, and just a couple houses of the neighbors we hang out with.
    Caroline (5), Kyle (3), Lucy (01/04/12)

2012 Goal: working towards pre-pregnancy speed!
    04/15 KI Metric Marathon/16.3 m (2:05:55, 7:43 pace)
    05/06 Frederick 13.1 (1:41:09)
    11/04 NYCM
  • Last year we took my 14 month son around to the few neighbors we know and we went with another family on the block and their two year old.  We did not take any candy because I didn't want to eat it but everyone loved seeing the kids in their costumes.  DS had fun too.
  • I pass out candy every year and I roll my eye at the parents that bring their baby to our house for trick or treat. My theory, if the baby can't eat candy by itself or doesn't have teeth yet then you shouldn't be out trick or treating. Stay at home.
  • We took her out when she was 7 months.  My brothers and sisters get together with their friends and do a theme every year.  She was part of their theme and my sister carried her around with them. (The first year she was part of a Gilligan's Island theme, the second year they were toy story and my sister was Bo Peep and DD was her lamb.)  This year she will be Pebbles from the Flinstones.  We're going with my SIL's family instead.  Their stepson will be Bam-Bam.

If it wasn't with family, we wouldn't have gone out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"