Maine Babies

More reflux/gas questions

Kellen was such an EASY baby for the first month.  He hardly ever cried and could be put down easily.  He would scream briefly while trying to poop or fart. 

In the last week he has become inconsolable, particularly at night.  We have to drive to get him to sleep.  He cries and cries and his tummy rumbles.  When he spits up he screams.  We have him on prevacid, mylicon, and gripe water. 

If your child has reflux, did you see a progression of fussiness?  I am giving it a week and then we'll go back if it doesn't seem like the meds are working.  I just want my happy kid back.

Re: More reflux/gas questions

• i wish i had answers because andrew is doing the same exact thing... i want my calm happy baby back.:(
  • Gianna started several days after we came home and progressed to a screaming inconsolable baby over a period of a week.  I pushed the Ped. to give us Zantac b/c I have acid reflux and was noticing Gianna doing a lot of the same things.  She doesn't spit up a lot but what she does do is spit up in her throat and swallow it back down.  She was also gurgling when we placed her on her back and refused to lay on her back at all.  After eating she does this weird wheezing thing when you burp her.  THat was the straw that broke the camels back because I wheeze when my reflux is acting up.  So much so that they thought I had asthma at first.  It took about 4 days on the Zantac (3x a day) before we saw a little improvement and a full 7 before I could say without a doubt that it is working.  Hang in there.  It is terrible when they cry relentlesly and you know they are hurting and can do nothing to make them feel better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh....and nighttime has always been her worst time.  We used to joke that she was part vampire because it seemed like she would start freaking out as soon as the sun went down and would finally fall asleep when the sun was rising again.  I do give her Mylicon in addition to the Zantac occasionally if she seems really uncomfortable or I can hear the gas gurgling in her belly.
  • I'm sorry he's so fussy/unhappy.  Do you think he might have a milk protein allergy or sensitivity in addition to the relfux?  Kate has reflux but is also sensitive to milk protein (I don't know if it would be considered a full blown allergy) which manifests as fussiness, painful gas, and a very sluggish digestive tract.  We switched her to a hypoallergenic formula (I know you don't FF) and I'm eliminating all dairy from my diet.   

The formula switch has really, really helped her.  I was skeptical at first because she never had any of the typical symptoms (extreme fussiness/colic, blood in her stool, etc.) but for the first time since she was only on BM, she is pooping daily and doesn't have painful gas.  I initially just cut out obvious dairy like milk, ice cream, and cheese, but I'm trying to cut out hidden dairy as well.

Good luck--I really hope he feels better soon.     

• i don't have any advice but i just wanted to say how sorry i am that you are going through this. ?i hope you are able to get some answers soon. ?huge hugs to you...
  • We've had those issues and it has gotten better the last few weeks. Time is the best medicine, but it was really bad there for a while. Mylicon didn't do anything but make him spit up even more so we stopped that. Gripe water helps sometimes, so we just give it to him when he is really bad. Prevacid helps a lot, but it takes a few days to kick in. How long has he been on it? You might want to cut out dairy products too and see if it helps. Remember that it takes a few weeks to see the results of that.
  • I started cutting out dairy, but then we put him on Prevacid.  I decided that we would see if that helped and then go from there.  I don't want to try too many things at once because I want to know which thing is helping.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"