Pregnant after IF
Options

Am I the only one who didn't know ...

that birthing classes cost money? (And apparently ,serious money at that...) Embarrassed

I kind of figured the ones in a center where all the couples go ( like they show on tv , my only frame of reference) would have some cost, but not as much as $400?

Are the classes offered at the hospital also at a cost?

I have my next OB appointment on 8/8, I was going to ask her about classes , I guess now I will ask her about cost as well !

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Am I the only one who didn't know ...

• Options
    I think it depends on where you live.  i signed up for free Bradley classes and a breastfeeding class that was only $10.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options

I'm sure the cost of living adjustment from Austin to NY is pretty dramatic, but our classes were anywhere from $30-$80/90 for birthing, newborn care, CPR and BF'ing.

I would just look for additional resources - I bet you can find a better deal? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My breastfeeding class was pretty cheap, but our childbirth class was $60 for 2 sessions (all of the classes are through the hospital center).  Some of the classes they offered are free, but not a whole lot.  They also did this bundle thing where if you schedule certain classes together they give a reduced rate.

TTC #1 since 7/08 After 3 years, 2 losses, 3 rounds of IUI, and one round of IVF, we finally have our dream come true! DS born 7/30/11

TTC #2 off and on since 7/12

• Options
    Definitely not free-my 2 all day Saturdays birthing class is $200 and the breastfeeding class is $50-this is all through my hospital, not a fancy Rosie Pope class :) I was looking on my HSA (flexible spending) and apparently they might cover the cost, as long as its only about birth (they actually said something on the sheet about prorating to take out of the cost of 'newborn care' if that is discussed-how ridiculous!) I'm sure every hospital is different, but I figured since I'm a FTM, we should do it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Not much in this life is free hon... ;)  We are delivering and taking our classes at a major teaching hospital and the classes are not cheap, but I figure it's a one time deal and pretty important.  There may be lower cost options if you dig around.  GL!
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    ** Furiously writing a long list of questions to ask Dr. R at next appointment**
  • Options
    My hospital has a list of classes and all of them are free.  Might check into some different hospitals even if you don't plan to deliver there.
    TTC #2 with PCOS since September 2009
    BFP, Femara 7.5mg, Ovidrel, IUI. Beta #1 17dpIUI -495 Beta #2 19dpIUI-1031
    Lovebugs2012
    My Blog
  • Options

my hospital doesn't offer classes (major teaching hospital as well)! i'm going to be taking a class here in NJ instead.

well, i should say i'm not taking a birthing class. i just don't think i need it. i'm going to take a BFing class to learn more about it to see if it will work for me ($40) and hopefully a multiples class ($160). not sure what they will teach in the multiples class, but i figure i'll take all the advice i can get about having 2 babies at once!

ETA - my insurance will reimburse $50 for one child birth class. not sure if the BFing class counts. pretty sure the multiples class won't. you should call and find out!

• Options
    I was a little surprised by this as well. There are some offered at my hospital for $10-20 but the breastfeeding one they recommend is $200! I was going to call to see if insurance might cover all or some of the costs but I haven't yet.
    Me 32 DH 38 Married October 2008- TTC Right Away! Dx - High FSH, MFI 3 IUI's in 09-10 all BFN July 2010 IVF #1- four eggs retrieved 2 mature only made it to 4 cells-none to transfer. March 30th- starting meds for IVF #2 April 10th- retrieval of 10 eggs/7mature April 15th- 5dt of 2 blasts April 25th- 10dp5dt Beta #1- 662 April 27th- 12dp5dt Beta #2- 1576 2 Girls! Due January 1, 2012. BabyFetus Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Its definitely not cheap.  That said, I don't think classes are absolutely necessary either, so I wouldn't worry if you don't take them.   DH and I tend to be very "academic learners" so classes mesh with our lifestyle, but I don't think they're necessary.   For reference, our classes (in NJ about 10 mins from Philly) in the hospital are ~$100 session.  We've also added infant CPR, Bradley birth (which is expensive) and private bf classes with a lactation consultant/doula who also provides post-partum support as part of her fee (which is what I want).  All in - I think we're spending $600 on classes.

TTC since April 2009 dx = PCOS; TTC History for DS - A FET miracle after 7 IUIs; 2 fresh transfers, and 1 other FET resulted in BFNs. Hoping and Praying for baby #2: Cycle 1 - FET; November 2012 BFN Next Steps - who knows? Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My breastfeeding class cost $5 and was offered through my local hospital. The birthing classes were $60 (i didn't attend those)
  • Options
    They don't charge for classes at my hospital if you are registered there.  That is for the basic ones though like BFing, Baby Care, etc.  They don't offer the Bradley ones.
    Diagnosis: DOR and MFI-low everything IVF #1 = triplets! 2 girls and a boy! Born Sept 29, 2011 at 32w6d due to Pre-e and HELLP syndrome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    JenCWJenCW member

Non-state-aid individuals certainly get anything for free in Southern California (but that's another discussion all together).

Anyway, my prepared childbirth class was $150 for hubby and me.  We took an infant CPR and first aid class (certified by Amer Red Cross) and it was $120 for the two of us.  We also sent our boys to a sibling class (to get them excited and a little prepared) and that was $90 for the three of them.  These were all offered through our hospital.

• Options
    All of our classes except baby CPR ($30) were offered free at the hospital. I was kind of shocked by this bc I assumed we would have to pay soemthing.

4 Clomid cycles BFN's,3 injectible cycles BFN, 3 failed IUI's
    Hystroscopy to remove cysts 11/2010
    IVF #1 with ICSI Graydon Dane born Oct. 23, 2011 via c-section at 38 weeks.
    Surprise BFP 10/9/12. Blighted ovum at 8wks. D&C 11/1/12.
    Surprise BFP#2 TWINS!!! Boy/Girl twins.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm taking classes through our hospital and there is a small fee with each of them, $15 each for the infant CPR and breastfeeding classes.  The all-day Saturday childbirth class with hospital tour is $50.  Surprisingly the unmedicated delivery class is free.
  • Options
    My childbirth class is 4 sessions and it's $98.00. All other classes, CPR, breastfeeding, baby basics, etc are free. Now I feel bad for complaining about the $98!
  • Options
    My 5 week class via the hospital birth center was $180.  Which I thought was pricey.  I wouldn't pay $400.
    Beautiful Miracle Baby lost at 21 weeks due to pre-term labor and incompetent cervix. FET#1 BFN, FET#2 BFP, early loss. FET#3 BFN. IVF#2 BFFN. FET #4 BFP after removing bilateral hydrosalpinx and 3 months of lupron depot. Sticky Bun is here!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    At my hospital most classes are $10 each, and the preparing for childbirth class which is the longer lamaze type one is only $40.

After 2+ years and multiple treatment cycles,
    including an IVF vacation in Costa Rica/Panama,
    IVF #2 brought us our miracle baby!

Surprise!  Baby Boy is on the way!

• Options
    The birthing class at my hospital was $50, but I opted for a $150 all day intensive class with an outside company because it covered more natural techniques whereas the hospital class offered to me was basically only about what to expect for an epidural or C-section. If you shop around in your area you should be able to find a variety of prices, but I was also taken aback by the expense of some classes. GL!
  • Options
    Maybe try looking for other options. I am sure it varies by where you live. I just registered for classes (Lamaze and BF) and they are $50.00 total. However, I called three hospitals to find the best price. I live in a pretty rural area though and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.
  • Options

Our hospital birthing class is something like $165. We are taking a baby care basics course that is an additional $30.

Some of the other birth classes (outside of the hospital) were $400.

After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"