Babies on the Brain
Options

ACK! Dh just made me an offer.

I am so torn on what to do. 

Option #1 get a real job and juggle his crazy hours to make time for family.

Option #2 Stay home and make crafts.  BUT I have to create an etsy or something similar to sell at.  He said make at least $200 extra  a month doing something.

$200 would cover the extra expenses that we need for A's school.  

Re: ACK! Dh just made me an offer.

• Options
    Could you just get a p/t job, like a bank teller?  A lot of them offer 20 hr/wk positions, which should cover the expense and you won't have to turn crafting into a business.
    photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I know some people totally hate it, but I've been really successful with the home sales company I work for. I guess it's all about what you're willing to put into it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageweelass24:
    Could you just get a p/t job, like a bank teller?  A lot of them offer 20 hr/wk positions, which should cover the expense and you won't have to turn crafting into a business.

That's the problem.  I would LOVE to do crafting for a business. I just don't have the time to do it now. I like the teller suggestion.  I loved working at the bank.  

• Options

imageCWinfree85:
    I know some people totally hate it, but I've been really successful with the home sales company I work for. I guess it's all about what you're willing to put into it.

PM me more info.  

• Options

The one thing I really love about working as a server still is that I only work at night, I get to spend all my days with DS, and I still make almost as much as DH does throughout the week. Just working part time in a restaurant could pocket you $300 or so a week without taking too much time from your family.

One thing I miss out on are fun evening activities with DH. I work Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday nights (closing 2 of those per week). But on the plus side, I can usually get someone to cover a shift if I need to and the manager who handles our schedules is very good about making sure we get the time we want off for preplanned events.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    $200/month would be really easy to get. Even at just minimum wage, you'd only have to work 28 hours per month to get that.
    Batman likes to watch cartoons on the weekends. Whatever.

"I'll gladly take cold sores over eye herpes" -ElieFin
    "Unicorn glitter gives me UTIs." -Leila'sMommy
  • Options
    imageEmilieE23:

The one thing I really love about working as a server still is that I only work at night, I get to spend all my days with DS, and I still make almost as much as DH does throughout the week. Just working part time in a restaurant could pocket you $300 or so a week without taking too much time from your family.

One thing I miss out on are fun evening activities with DH. I work Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday nights (closing 2 of those per week). But on the plus side, I can usually get someone to cover a shift if I need to and the manager who handles our schedules is very good about making sure we get the time we want off for preplanned events.

DH works really wonky hours.  Some weeks he works days and some weeks it is nights.  He is in upper management and he pretty much goes in when they need him.  I wouldn't have childcare at night.  Plus, DD is starting pre-k this year.   

• Options
    Crafts!

Photobucket  Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My inlaws have a craft business. They spend all their free time on it and have just within the last year or so really had it take off/made enough to really be profitable. And they've been at this for about 5 years. So just a heads up on that.

I agree about the PT job. What about someplace like the Y or something.

eta: Just read the other posts. If you really love doing crafts that might be worth it. I'd look into craft fairs in your area. There are usually tons in the fall/early winter.

imageVisit The Nest! image
  • Options
    imageMysterious_wife:

imageCWinfree85:

PM me more info.  

I'm on my phone right now but I will PM you more info tomorrow when I'm at an actual computer.
  • Options
    I've also been selling crafts on etsy and it doesn't just sell like crazy, I make more money advertising on facebook and just selling to local people. Craft sales you can make a good chunk of change at a time...good luck!
  • Options
    Selling crafts sounds like it would be a great option, but I've heard Etsy can be tough, just because there is sooo much stuff there (unless you have a super unique craft, I suppose).  I like PP's suggestion on craft fairs.
    DS1 5/2010, DS2 11/2012
  • Options

You will spend far more time working on a craft business to make $200/week than you will if you get a p/t retail gig. In order to make any sort of regular money you have to be constantly promoting and find your way into the community, get a buzz going and keep it there you know? It's a LOT of work outside of creating and maintaining a stock (which is hard enough), managing your income/ expenses and shipping. A good friend of mine has a very nice etsy (I wont link it so I dont get banned) and once you factor in her expenses associated (raw materials, marketing materials, web hosting fees) she makes around $3000/year at it, sometimes less, but she puts more time and energy into her shop than she does her day job where she makes about ten times that. It's really inconsistent.

All that said, if you want to do it, go for it. 

• Options
    I'm a SAHM and a part-time waitress and if I work all day on a weekend day (sat or Sun) I can make well over $200. It's a lot of work and crabby a$$ people but it's worth it.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • Options
    Make sure you factor in your costs and figure out what your true profit is.  Then you'll know how much you really have to sell to make $200.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Have you thought about doing in home daycare? Maybe if you watched one child part-time?
    Little Lurky, born 2008
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Priss28King is wise.--"Lurky, you are so mean... but always so on point!" Mean Girls Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    Crafting is hard. I'm not sure exactly what kind you would be doing, but as PP said it can be tough on etsy if it is something that etsy is already oversaturated with. However, as far as the time goes it might be easier for you since she will be starting school. If I didn't have to work for my dad and had more than just naptime to work with, I think it would be a bit easier.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"