April 2011 Moms

Going back to work soon... need bf help/advice

I'm a teacher, and had my son in April, so I've had a nice break from work. August is looming, however, and I'm trying to figure out how to get some sleep. DS wakes up to nurse 1-2 times/night, which is fine now, but when mommy has to wake up at 5 a.m. to be at work by 7, that's not so nice. I know how I'll pump during the day - that's no big deal. My biggest concern is the sleep issue. I'm blessed to have a DH who is at home while I work, and my other DS typically sleeps until 7 or 8. I want to continue bf-ing, but I also need energy to deal with the hormonal teenagers. Any ideas??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Going back to work soon... need bf help/advice

• I cluster fed DD a lot and eventually she started sleeping longer. I just got used to getting up at least once and it gets easier. Also I'd go to bed when she did and every once in awhile will have to take a nap after work sometimes while DH watches DD. Also caffeine. :) good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Can DH take a night feeding (even if its every other night) and feed BM through bottle? Also have you tried Dream feeding right before you go to bed? Thats what got my LO STTN. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • How do you BF during the night?  My LO feeds with us both laying down, which allows me to half sleep while she feeds.  It really helps, and she falls right back asleep.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • I've been back since mid-June & I still get up during the night to BF Violet...you just get used to running on less sleep. It's getting better as the weeks go on so you may be ok by the time you go back full-time! When I first went back, I just went to bed when Violet did to help stay coherent...

A cup of coffee always help me on the really sleepy days! Best of luck!!!!

• I sometimes co-sleep, and sometimes put him in the co-sleeper. I'm only "good" at feeding him laying down on my right side, and I'm so paranoid that he'll fall into the tiny space between the bed and the co-sleeper that I won't do it on my left. Even when I do, he still wakes up about twice a night; usually the second one is around 3:30. Ugh. 

• How do you get them to go to bed so early?? My DS1 usually won't go to bed until at least 9. DS2 usually goes out for the night shortly after that. 

You have a good point - now that I've been doing this for 3-1/2 months, I really don't need the 7 or so hours of sleep I was used to. It's amazing what we can get used to! 

• imageBeautifulSorta:

How do you get them to go to bed so early?? My DS1 usually won't go to bed until at least 9. DS2 usually goes out for the night shortly after that. 

You have a good point - now that I've been doing this for 3-1/2 months, I really don't need the 7 or so hours of sleep I was used to. It's amazing what we can get used to! 

Violet just started doing an earlier bedtime...she takes good naps at daycare so she sometimes can stay up later...last night I put her down at 8:30 but she woke up an hour later for a dream feed & was back in the crib around 10:15. But for awhile we wouldn't get her in bed until well after 10pm. I think every kid is different....

Another new mom at daycare says her kid is asleep by 7:30pm at the latest but her's never naps at daycare so the kiddo is beyond exhausted. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"