Two Under 2
Options

I can't take it anymore

The nap thing.  You know since DD  (10 months) naps from 10:30ish-12ish then from 3-whenever.  DS is being forced to start his nap at 1:30-2:00 which has him waking at 5pm and wanting to stay up until an ungodly hour.  Not to mention he's an overtired beast by naptime.  I've been pushing his nap later so that I can get out of the house a bit in between DD's morning nap and afternoon nap but I end up rushing around like crazy with an overtired toddler.  I feel bad for him and think I'm really messing up his schedule.  It has only recently become an issue since DD doesn't need her morning nap quite as early and the whole day gets pushed back.  I know some of you moms have been there.  Basically 1 hour of time to get out of the house (if that).  DD is also starting to protest more for her afternoon nap.  Like she's tired but not THAT tired you know?  Almost like she wants to start it at 4pm!  No thank you.  So if any of you transitioned #2 to 1 nap early please help.  I actually have to wake DD most mornings by 7:30 otherwise I have no clue when she would take the first nap but I'm thinking I should just leave her and let her sleep as long as she wants then give her only 1 midday nap.  I know it seems early but she transitioned to 2 naps early and I feel like she might be able to handle it.  What are your experiences?  I cannot stand being confined to the house all day because of naps!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I can't take it anymore

• Options
    P.S.  Sorry for the dramatic title of this post!  LOL it's not THAT horrible but I'm just getting a bit stir crazy  Wink
  • Options

that's not really early- it's earlier than my second, but my first I had to fight to take one nap a day by 9 months! that wasn't fun.  I think letting her sleep in the a.m. then waiting until after lunch to put her down is a great idea- try it out- you can always switch if it isn't working.  And when my second transitioned to one nap, it was a couple weeks before her body got well adjusted to that so it may be a little shaky at times, but go for it. :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS dropped is am nao at 12 months, DD did it at 9 months!! She started pushing her am nap later and later and was exhausted by 4 pm. If I were you I would get them up, get out of the house and get back by 11 ish. That way she wont fall asleep on the way home and ruin your chances of them napping together. Feed them lunch by 11 or 1130 and put her down then him. See what happens. There was a two wk period where she napped from 11-1 and he napped from 1-3 or 4...I wanted to pull my hair out, BUT evenutally I slowly pushed hers later and later. Now she goes down and 30 mins later he does. I always wake him by 415 or so if he hasnt woken up himself...that way he ready for bed by 815ish. She usually wakes by 3-330 anyway.  GL. it wont last forever. With 2 kids napping, you kinda have to help them along. I never used to wake DS, but I do now so I can get some alone time at night. 
  • Options
    I love hearing your experiences!  I guess it's more common than I thought for #2's to have to switch to 1 nap earlier based on scheduling.  I would die if she needed her 2 naps until 18 months like some children I've heard of.  DS also went to 1 nap between 12 & 13 months.  I remember there were some hairy days (as I'm anticipating with DD too) but once they figure out that is their only nap of the day and start napping for 3-4 hours it's great :)  Keep the replies coming please!
  • Options
    DD1 just went down to one nap a day and shes 2!  What can I say the girl needs her sleep :)  It was actually perfect because they both took 2 naps together at the same times!  Now I have her down to one a day so DD2 takes a short morning nap and then I tire them both out feed them lunch and then they go down for an early afternoon nap at the same time.  DD1 is still tired really early since shes not getting over 2 hours of naps right now but I'm hoping she'll start napping for a longer period of time after awhile, does that happen?!! 
    Snuggling after a nap! Claira 2 yrs and Sophia 11 months Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't have advice-- Just wanted to say that your 3rd ticker is hilarious!
  • Options
    My little one sleeps in the car when we are on the go in the mornings and then we come home right at noon we all eat lunch and then both kids go down for the afternoon from 1-3:30.  This works great for us, I feel bad that the LO one does not actually get a nap in the crib in the mornings but he has adjusted just fine and looks forward to his long afternoon nap.  The cat naps in the morning car make it so he can handle life until 1pm.  Good luck!
    10 MONTHS APART AND LOVIN IT! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage
  • Options
    My younger daughter is 9.5 months and the older one is 22 months.  I have engineered naptime here so that we don't get stuck in the house all day.  DD2 takes two naps, and my priority is for her to nap at the same time as DD1 in the afternoon.  Usually DD1 goes down at 1, but she can go down as late as 2 without any particular trouble.  DD2 gets up between 6:30 and 7 a.m. (and DD2 gets up between 7:30 and 8:30) and then usually goes down for a nap at 8:30 or 9.  I don't let her sleep later than 10:30 so that I can put her down again with DD1.  It works pretty well for us.  Two days a week, though, we have a standard morning outing with other moms, and on those days DD2 has to take her early nap in the stroller.  She doesn't sleep as long, but then the afternoon nap is longer.  This works pretty well for us.  Sometimes, if DD2 is really cranky in the afternoon, I will put her down for a third nap around 5 or so.  She will sleep 30-45 minutes, and still goes down for the night at the normal time (they both go down at the same time, between 7:30 and 8 p.m., and both STTN).
    Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • Options

I'm probably in the minority here but I never schedule naps.  Morgan is really good about fussing to be put down when she wants hers.  If she sleeps in the car, she sleeps.  If she's still tired later, she will sleep again.  She sleeps most of the night until 5am or so.  

Peyton's nap is harder.  She will take it anywhere from 11am to 5pm depending on what time she had to wake up.  She never WANTS to take it.  It's either a she falls asleep bc she was in the car deal, or I have to lay down with her and hold her down (not as bad as it sounds) for a few mins until she conks out.

Peyton has too many appointments to work around her nap schedule, so we don't freak about it. 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"