Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Weight gain scrutiny

(bumping from phone) My mom drives me crazy. She is always making comments/asking questions about my weight gain. Let me preface by saying that she has been obsessed/critical of my weight since grade 10. Well of course the first thing she asked me this weekend (DH and I are at my parents cottage for the weekend) is how much weight I put on when being weighed at my appt on Thursday. 3 lbs (in two weeks). Her response: "Oh well that's ok. Much better than your last 9 lbs weigh in." She makes me feel like a fatty. My sister (who has always been slim) only gained 23 lbs with her DD and my mom always compares me to that (I've put on around 30 so far). I know I should talk to her about it but I'm just feeling so hormonal lately (re: anything makes me cry) that I just don't want to bother. And now she's asked me to come spend the september long weekend with me in case the baby comes early. Lovely. Sorry - vent over, thanks for *listening*.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Weight gain scrutiny

• Options

Ugh I'm so sorry, that's awful, and awful that you've dealt with her doing that your whole life.

My mom was one of those perfect pregnant women and tracked her food and calories and only gained like 25lbs (I've gained 27 as of my appt. at 28 weeks) so I feel your pain. I try to ignore her, but it's hard.

You should just lie if it comes up again, or say something like, "My doctor said I've gained the perfect amount!" if you don't want to outright lie about the numbers. It's none of her business how much you've gained. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Kudos to you for keeping your mouth shut I would have let her have iy, then I'm sure DH would have went off too. Weight is not permanent and having a health LO is more important than anything. I wouldn't even acknowledge her question next time she asks. Just tell her its none of her business!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tell her you know someone who has gained 35 pounds and still has 8 weeks to go! If your doctor is not concerned, then you should just tell her that. It's so frustrating though since you are pregnant and of course you are going to gain weight. No need to analyze it for you!
    BFP #1: 07/10/2009, Missed m/c, D&C 08/12/2009
    BFP #2: 01/31/2010, Identical Twins died in utero due to TTTS, D&E 05/19/2010
    BFP #3: 09/16/2010, natural m/c 9/21/2010
    PCOS & Bocornuate Uterus Dx 1.4.2011
    BFP #4: 01/11/2011
  • Options
    I am sorry that she seems to be so critical of you, that really isn't fair at all. If I were her daughter I am sure she would flip because I know I have put on the lbs!! Hang in there, I am sure you look beautiful and tiny!!
    "You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • Options
    ksulliksulli member
    Sounds like my mom, but she let up for the pregnancy. I gained 40, and 4w out I'm down 35. I have a good friend that gained 55 and within 3mos was back down to 5 below where she started from. Your body does what it needs to to grow that baby, so just make sure you're taking care of yourself, and blow your mom's comments off as part of her issues, not yours.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options

I bet if you start asking her the same question when you see her, she'll stop. I was getting very annoyed by everyone thinking it was alright to just rub my belly whenever they felt like it, so I started doing it back. Sure enough, they stopped right away. Good luck and I'm sure you look perfect and healthy :) LO certainly appreciates the weight gain.

• Options
    Thats rotten, I'm sorry.  MIL is like that too, and she is not one to talk lets say Angry
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp 01/23/10 m/c 12w1d 03/14/10 EDD 09/24/10
    bfp 07/20/10 m/c 5w1d 07/25/10
    bfp 11/19/10 Born 07/24/11 via C/S

My Forever Sister From Another Mister~CashewsMommy!!

• Options
    My mom doesn't ask she just calls me fat. My daddy is the numbers obsessed one, has been since I was in high school. It is hard when neither of them have ever been thin.
    The Blog

Dinner.Hard life?

The brothers I Rule and OMG! with their faithful sidekickFootFoot.

imageimageimage

My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
  • Options
    I am sorry.  That would bother me too.  Maybe your could tell her it bothers you. But I don't know how you feel about doing that...or if she would even change.
  • Options
    Oh no, I am sorry your mom is comparing your weight gain to your sister. That is not fair.  From your past BPFs, you seem like you put on just the right amount of weight.  You are also much taller person so 30 pounds are probably pretty appropriate for you to gain.  ((((HUGS)))) 
    BFP 1: 08Aug10, EDD: 14Apr11, D&E 11Sep10 BFP 2: 29Jan11, EDD: 12Oct11, DS born 07Oct11!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I don't think I'll be answering my mom's weight related questions from now on as I'm sure they'll get worse postpartum.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Oh no, im so sorry. That really stinks. Just tell her your doc says it perfect and she would know better than anyone.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    imagemgduke19:

I bet if you start asking her the same question when you see her, she'll stop. I was getting very annoyed by everyone thinking it was alright to just rub my belly whenever they felt like it, so I started doing it back. Sure enough, they stopped right away. Good luck and I'm sure you look perfect and healthy :) LO certainly appreciates the weight gain.

I second this idea.  I'm really sorry that she is being so critical of you, and if you think that you can't talk to her about it, I would go with something a little more creative.  Your weight gain is between you and your Dr, and as long as your Dr is happy and your LO is healthy, it shouldn't matter.  Maybe remind her of that the next time she comments.  

TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
  • Options
    that really sucks that your mom is being so nasty. i wish she would concentrate more on how you're feeling and that your LO is healthy and right on track. try your best to ignore her, the issues sound like her own self esteem issues and not yours. it sounds like you've gained exactly what the doctors recommend.
    BFP #1: 1/27/11, mc 3/17/11 at 9w2d, baby measured at 8w3d, no heartbeat BFP #2: 5/13/11; beta #1: 382, beta #2: 7842. heartbeat: 103 at 6 weeks; 146 at 7 weeks, 165 at 9 weeks, 173 at 12 weeks, 158 at 16 weeks. BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"