April 2012 Moms
Options

My long, exhausting weekend. (Long.)

DH's family reunion was this weekend. His mom's side all get together at KY Dam Village and spend the weekend being themselves. Which means it's loud, hectic, and involves lots of Scrabble.

DH and I decided to tell his parents that we're expecting, and figured it'd be fun to do it under the guise of a birthday present for his dad. (His birthday is tomorrow.) We gave him a onesie and a bib all wrapped up that said things like "Grandpa's little helper." His reaction was wonderful...exactly what I hoped it would be. But then things went a little south. DH's mom looked at me and says, "Oh, well, there's no way you can keep this a secret." I explained that, yes, I could. All it takes is keeping your mouth shut. But she insisted that there was "NO WAY." I felt like she was basically telling me, "Either you tell, or I will." Our plan had been to only tell our parents and my best friend until around 8 weeks, and then we'd tell family. But I agreed, for the sake of keeping the peace, to go ahead and tell DH's direct family. (Aunts, uncles, cousins.) Their reactions were really gratifying and it was nice for someone to share our excitement. It still was a little uncomfortable for me, though, because it just wasn't what I had planned. There's still such a high risk of loss at this point, and I don't want to have to "un-tell" a bunch of people.

The next day, DH's mom asks if she can tell Judy, her cousin. I may have gotten a little snappy at that point and flat out told her no. I already made a huge concession because of her and told WAY more people than I wanted to. She knows exactly why I wanted to wait, because I tried to explain it to her, but she still pressured me to share the news. And she's seriously asking me if she can tell more people? Freaking no. I am almost regretting telling her at this point. It was definitely a dark spot on the otherwise fun weekend.

Has anyone else experienced pressure like this? It completely caught me off guard, and I wish I had been better prepared to just say no right up front.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My long, exhausting weekend. (Long.)

• Options
    sam19sam19 member
    No but we plan on waiting until we are comfortable with everybody knowing because both of our moms are gossips. I'm sorry she did that to you. Unfortunately you can't stop her from telling whoever she wants now. Sorry and I hope she respects your wishes from now on.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • Options
    I'm so sorry it didn't go like you wanted. It's a fear of mine that the exact same thing will happen with DH's family. When we tell them next weekend, I'm going to lay it out with them that whoever they tell, they'll need to let them know if anything goes wrong. Otherwise, DH and I will avoid the family if anything goes wrong until MIL tells the family any bad news. My fear is that some moron family member will find out and reveal me on Facebook. I have work friends on there, and I don't want them knowing until I'm further along.
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, I'm so sorry that happened.  My MIL is always out to get me so I know she would do the exact same thing to me.  I hope that she respects your decision not to tell anyone else and doesn't spill the beans. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh, I'm sorry.  Doesn't she understand that, like you said, it is early and things can change?  She's being really selfish--it isn't her news to tell, to be honest.  My MIL is wonderful and was really excited and also wanted to tell DH's giant Italian family.  We said no and she won't, but I could tell she was a bit disappointed.  Oh well, SIL gave birth today, so she has that great news to focus on!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• Options
    I'm sorry, Blind.  It stinks when something that is so private and personal to you gets taken over by someone else.  I don't really have any read advice for you other than to say regardless of who does or doesn't know, this is such a special time for you and your husband, and to try to not let difficult people ruin your excitement for your baby.  Hugs!
  • Options
    As an aside, Blind, I see that you are now an appleseed :)  That is so exciting!  (You too, Moneypenny!!!!)
  • Options
    Oh, boo! I'm so sorry she's behaving like a child. I hope she stops blabbing!!
  • Options
    Exactly why we didn't tell our families until 2nd tri last time (and are waiting again). My mom, especially, can't keep things to herself. I'm very sorry things didn't go as you planned, it sucks when family can't respect your wishes.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

imageMoneypenny424:
    Ugh, I'm sorry.  Doesn't she understand that, like you said, it is early and things can change?  She's being really selfish--it isn't her news to tell, to be honest.  My MIL is wonderful and was really excited and also wanted to tell DH's giant Italian family.  We said no and she won't, but I could tell she was a bit disappointed.  Oh well, SIL gave birth today, so she has that great news to focus on!

The annoying thing is, she would very much beg to differ. When she wanted to tell her sister, I asked her, "Shouldn't I be the one to tell? It's my news." She flat out told me, "No, it's my news, too!" Sorry, missed the memo that YOU are the one pregnant with my child. Confused When we told them the news, she hugged DH and said "My baby is having a baby!" And just to remind her, in case she forgot, I commented, "Actually, I'M the one having the baby. DH helped, but I'm the pregnant one."

• Options

If it makes you feel even REMOTELY better, we told my MIL yesterday. (we are an vacation this week at the beach with them, I would have been called out about not drinking all week), and she had, like no reaction at all. As in "Oh. That's nice." Then she told me "I thought you might have been pregnant the last time I saw you.

The last time she saw me I was 3 DPO.Indifferent I told her "No, just looking fat, I guess."

pregnancy due date Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    UGG Im so sorry hon!! YES MILs can be a PITA! somehow other family members found out and have been calling DH with the "WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME?!?!?!:" questions... not fun.. but all in all we are waiting for our first US.. That is still super early but Im just too excited I want to shout it from the roof tops now!!
  • Options
    Uggh - what a monster! -.- I'm so sorry! I'm kind of worried about my MIL doing the same thing and I plan on putting my foot down PERIOD. Good luck!
  • Options

That really sucks and wow mamamegan!  I always thank God that I have a really great MIL.....yeah try not to let it ruin anymore of your happiness :o

We went ahead and told most of our parents and an Aunt, grandparents etc. and changed our Facebook pages to temporarily not allow anyone to comment on either of our Walls or photos in case someone in the family slips....

image Visit The Nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"