Baby Names

Colton vs. Cullen

So, we have it narrowed down AGAIN to three names. The three we agreed on were: Cooper, Quinton, and Cullen. My husband really wants it to be Cullen. I really just want a name, considering we are being induced on Wednesday. Our first son is Colton Eric. My concern is how it sounds with his name. Colton Eric and Cullen Thomas. Thoughts????
Beth and Eric 09/02/06 Colton Eric 07/19/08 Baby boy #2 due 08/03/11

Re: Colton vs. Cullen

• I like Cooper the best to go with Colton.  I think Cullen and Colton sound way too much alike and Cullen always reminds me of "Twilight"
  • I don't like Cullen, mainly because the sound of it when I say it out loud isn't really first name material (IMO). The meaning isn't too great either.

Quinn or Quentin sound better with Colton.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • Loading the player...
  • I have to agree with the other poster. Cullen is too closely related to Twilight and while the actor who plays Edward Cullen may be attractive, I've heard some pretty horrible jokes made about the actual character and I can only imagine that your son would go through much of the same if you chose that name.

Out of the 3 names you posted, I'd go with Cooper (fn) Quinton (mn) as the name. I think those two sound good together. 

TTCAL PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • I strongly dislike Cullen, and I don't think it goes well with Colton.

I like Cooper Thomas!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not personally a fan of Cullen but with the Twilight craze I think it will be extra popular and you'll be hearing it everywhere, so I would definitely not pick it. 
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • I am not a fan of Cullen, and it sounds too similar to Colton.  My preference is Quentin/Quinn.

• Is your H a big Twilight fan?  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like Cooper a lot more than Cullen but I think both are two matching with Colton.
  • imageviceba:
    My husband really wants it to be Cullen.
    Does he know this name is featured prominently in Twilight? Most men that I know would not want their son to be associated with a phenomenon such as this.

I actually think "Colton and Cullen", "Colton and Cooper", and "Colton and Quentin", are all too matchy-matchy. But the least of the three evils, IMO, is Quentin, since it starts with a Q. So I guess I vote for that. Man, y'all really have a "type", when it comes to boy names, huh? Haha.

• imageEaglefoot23:

imageviceba:
    My husband really wants it to be Cullen.
    Does he know this name is featured prominently in Twilight? Most men that I know would not want their son to be associated with a phenomenon such as this.

I actually think "Colton and Cullen", "Colton and Cooper", and "Colton and Quentin", are all too matchy-matchy. But the least of the three evils, IMO, is Quentin, since it starts with a Q. So I guess I vote for that. Man, y'all really have a "type", when it comes to boy names, huh? Haha.

Totally agree with the bolded statement.

• I like Cullen out of the three.

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

• imageDaisyKD:
    I like Cooper the best to go with Colton.  I think Cullen and Colton sound way too much alike and Cullen always reminds me of "Twilight"

This!!  I immediately think of "Twilight" when I hear the name Cullen.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Neither of us really even thought of Twilight until the first post! Its a name he found in the baby book. We have two days to figure out what we are naming him! His actual first choice was Simon, but I really don't like it. So we ended up with these three. Cullen is not my first choice, but I picked the middle name (after my dad), so I feel like he should be able to pick the first name (to a certain extent). We have a good friend who's brother is Cullen and when my husband looked it up on SS database, it was the lowest ranked out of all of them....such a hard choice :(
    Beth and Eric 09/02/06 Colton Eric 07/19/08 Baby boy #2 due 08/03/11
  • imageviceba:
    when my husband looked it up on SS database, it was the lowest ranked out of all of them

Oh, be carefull with this... it may be "low" on the list right now, but Twilight has only been out for two years. Cullen was one of the biggest risers from 2008 to 2009... it jumped 300 spots!

It hasn't had time to get to the top 100 yet, but it's easily one of the trendiest names I can think of. Soon, all those teenage fangirls will be naming babies of their own, and guess what name they are going to use.

We actually had a girl on this board ask for advice on legally changing her son's name, because she had named him Cullen, and couldn't handle all the Twilight comments she was getting.

• I gotta say I can't stand either one, especially Cullen after all the stupid Twilight buzz with Bella, Edward, etc.
  • Cooper.  I think Cullen is too trendy/Twilighty.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I don't like Cullen. I like the way Cooper Thomas sounds.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • No to Cullen. I dislike it very much. Colton is cute.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I think Colton and Cullen are fine together. I like Cullen the best of your choices.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Cullen is NMS but it sounds ok with Colton. I like Cooper a million times better though
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • imagemelissa721:
    I like Cullen out of the three.

This. I like Cullen the best.. & I dont care that the name was in twilight.
  • cullen sounds a lot like colton to me, Id say too similar for both first names. I like cooper and colton alot together.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Cooper Thomas!!! Love the name!
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"