3rd Trimester

stretch marks

What is the best lotion or anything you may know of to use for your stomach to aviod stretch marks ?

Re: stretch marks

• There's nothing that can really be done to avoid them. Everyone, including my doctor told me to keep my belly moisturized, which I did, and I still got a bunch! I'm hoping with the help of cocoa butter and vitamin e lotion,they will fade after birth but as far as avoiding them, there's not much you can do.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doctor actually told me that all the creams/lotions/oils are sorta just a scam. That they really don't do anything. And that stretch marks can't actually be prevented... you either get them or you don't. He said that if I absolutely really wanted to put something on there to use the vaseline lotion (unscented and without any of the "extra healing" things).  I've also read many things that said that the cocoa butter lotions can actually dry your skin out.

I have only gained 7 lbs and my tummy looks like a road map. I had used all the creams/lotions/ etc (mainly burts bee's products) - and by 17 weeks I already was getting marks (and at that point I had gained no weight.... just a growing belly). 

I'd say just embrace that growing belly and hope you're one of the lucky ones that doesn't get the lovely red and white tracks :)

Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • I heard stretch marks are genetic for the most part, but my mom didn't have them and I do!! I use the cocoa butter stretch mark cream, which helped fade the stretch marks on my breast that I have had for years so that was nice!! Um sadly it didn't prevent the ones on my belly Crying which bites cuz they just started coming in last week and I'm 36 weeks!!! Dang it!!! Angry So just gain weight slowly so your skin can keep up with the stretch and use the creams for fading cuz they obviously don't prevent.... Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I use lotion just to keep my belly from itching.  Stretch marks will happen to some, whether you want them or not.  I did get them with my first two, but feel lucky that they weren't anywhere as BAD as my sister's and Mom's.
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • imageNanner22:

My doctor actually told me that all the creams/lotions/oils are sorta just a scam. That they really don't do anything. And that stretch marks can't actually be prevented... you either get them or you don't. 

This!

I rarely put lotion on my belly and have never gotten stretch marks. It's genetics!  

• I've been using tummy butter since I was about 8-10 weeks. I have one stretch mark on my right hip, but thats where I have gotten them from teenage years, gaining or losing weight- Its just where I get them. I also have gotten some on my boobs- if I would have known, I would have rubbed butter there too! I doubt it would have helped... its just gentics. But, I find the tummy butter keeps itchiness at bay!
  • I've never used anything and I don't have any stretch marks. From what I gather, some people are just prone to getting them and some aren't. I don't believe in lotions. They may make you less itchy but they will not do miracles.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well you guys i have stretch marks on my sides& lower back area but not my tummy(thank god) so far. Imma just take the advice to keep my tummy moisture. Imma use coco butter & imma try babay oil. ill be fine.

• As soon as I found out that I was pregnant I started using Jojoba Oil (just plain oil, nothing fancy) on my stomach, hips and thighs. I've always had very bad luck with stretch marks and have a lot of healed white ones on my thighs from my youthful growth spurts.

Additionally, my mother is covered in stretch marks and my father always had them on his arms lower back. 

So far, I haven't gotten a single stretch mark on my stomach and I'm up 28 lbs and have a rather impressively expanded stomach. I do have one on the inside of my left thigh that is actually an expansion of a previously healed stretch mark.

I'm hopeful that I'll be able to keep things to a minimum just by keeping my skin healthy, avoiding soaping it, and encouraging moisture with the oil. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can't avoid them but you can embrace them!!! Trust me those stretchmarks won't matter once you are holding your baby.

You can use cocoa butter which helps with the dryness and will decrease them a little but to completely avoid them is impossible.

• To clear up some misinformation. When its said that they are hereditary, that includes paternal genes as well, not just maternal. No one on my mom's side has strechmarks...my bad genes in that department were thanks to my dad's side. No product is going to magically make them not appear or disappear...you might be able to find some product that will help minimize their appearance but good luck with that.

"Gaining weight slowly" when you are pg is a ridiculous suggestion...you have very little control over how and where you will gain your pg weight. Even if you only gain 5 lbs your whole pg, it could all be directly in your stomach and you could still get strechmarks regardless of how long it took you to put on those 5 lbs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"