October 2011 Moms
Options

Money Saving Fail

I had this bright idea that I would save money on the nursery by buying fabric and having my mom make curtains, a crib skirt, and some various other things for the room.  The problem is that nice fabric is not cheap!!  I feel in love with 3 fabrics that were made to match.  One has stripes, another has polka dots, and the third is paisley. 

Since our nursery has a bay window the amount of curtains needed is a little ridiculous!  My mom and I went today to buy all the fabric plus black out lining for the curtains. . . .I spent over $400!   SurpriseIndifferentEmbarrassed  This child will be using this stuff for a loooooong time!!! 

I am so excited about all of it thought!  We finished painting the nursery this weekend and I found out today our dresser is in.  We've had the crib for a while but we need to assemble it.  This weekend we also bought onne of the cube storage bookshelfs and my mom is going to make canvas bins for 4 of the 9 shelves.  The other 5 shelves will be used for books and stuff.  All we are still waiting for is the glider/ottoman.  It's all coming together so nicely!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Money Saving Fail

• Options

I've noticed this DIY isn't always the cheapest way to go...my bonusdad is a HUGE fan of making things....He offered to make cribs, but I just couldnt go for that (I'm sure they'd be safe but...not willing to risk it) so I showed him a design I liked for a changing table. Buying the lumber, chaning pads, woodstain ( I was with them when we picked it all out) we could have easily bought the changing table and about 4 packs of diapers and wipes....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm having major money saving issues as well. I am completely redecorating all DD's stuff because they will be sharing a room and my crafty spending is out of control. Coordinating quilts, bedskirts and curtains. I'm also going to need to make several new diaper bags that will hold two kids' worth of stuff, right?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My mom and I made the curtains for the nursery as well, and while I didn't do it to save money- it was just a fun project for us, I agree- didn't realize how expensive fabric can get either!!  We probably spent a good $150-200 on fabric and supplies to make the curtains, changing pad cover & bed skirt (I'm hoping to squeeze a couple more small matching projects out of the remaining fabric)... and that was shopping at Walmart! 
  • Options
    You can save money if you do it right, but sometimes it takes some searching! I just found blackout fabric for less than $7 a yard online. :) Plus, I can never find curtain panels that fit the Japanese style hooks we have here, so it's easier to make them myself. Although, I did splurge on some super cute fabric that was $15 a meter today...
  • Options

My Dad is making our crib..he has made both of my sister's (2 kids each) and does an amazing job--and they go into toddler beds and twin beds (he makes extra pieces for it to be  twin bed). Ours is being made out of cherry--I am so excited about it!

At least you got exactly what you wanted w/your money....that is very important IMO. 

• Options

imagebeloved09:
    You can save money if you do it right, but sometimes it takes some searching! I just found blackout fabric for less than $7 a yard online. :) Plus, I can never find curtain panels that fit the Japanese style hooks we have here, so it's easier to make them myself. Although, I did splurge on some super cute fabric that was $15 a meter today...

The blackout fabric I bought was the cheapest part, it was only $5.95/yd.  All the other fabric was $14.95/yd though (and I had a 10% off coupon!).  I had to buy 17 yds of fabric and blackout fabric for the curtains alone.  I love my bay window but boy is that a lot of curtain panels!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"