Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

So confused regarding waking to eat

I know this is probably one of those annoying subjects that people ask 10 times a day. But i've googled it all day and I just want to talk with some real moms about it.

Baby was born at 36 weeks 5 days.  Due to being born early, she is only in the 10 percentile for her age. (She wasn't that small.. born 6 pounds 8 oz and up to 6 pounds 10 oz at first appt.)

I was under the impression that at her age (we are now 2 weeks 1 day) she should be eating about 2-4 oz every 3 hours.  Since the beginning, I have woken her up every 3 hours during the night to feed her. By the way, we are formula feeding.

Honestly, I don't know how long she would sleep if I didn't wake her.  She never hardly fusses at night and has never woken us up hungry. 

This weekend, after talking to relatives visiting (because you know people LOVEEE to give advice haha) they all thought I was crazy for waking her at night. You know the old saying "never wake a sleeping baby!"

Now Im starting to second guess myself and think I made this whole thing up haha... do you wake your baby at night for a feeding?

We will be asking her pediatrician at her next appointment in a week. Thanks guys!

Re: So confused regarding waking to eat

• Options
    Yes, we have to wake him to eat all day and all night...however, we are supposed to feed him every 3 hours due to him being a preemie.  The Dr. wants to get his weight up before really adjusting his feeding schedule.  I would def. talk to your pediatrician about this because it is different per child.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In general you don't need to wake them once they are back to their birth weight.  That is what my pedi told us.  But you should definitely ask yours.  Sounds like you will be ok not waking though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagegymnst1013:
    In general you don't need to wake them once they are back to their birth weight.  That is what my pedi told us.  But you should definitely ask yours.  Sounds like you will be ok not waking though.

This.

• Options
    We were also told to wake her every 3 hours until she reached her birthweight. Now she can sleep as much as she wants but she cluster feeds all day long, so I'm lucky to get in an hour of rest.
  • Options
    We are breastfeeding, but right now we are supposed to try to feed her as much as possible because she has been wearing a biliblanket to get rid of her jaundice.  The most she goes is 3 hours, but that is at night.  During the day I try to feed her every hour or two.
  • Options
    My second was born at 35w4d and she was 6lbs 10oz.  I woke her to feed b/c she lost tons of weight.  Once she was back to her birth weight and the jaundice was gone we stopped waking her.  Ask your ped though!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"