Stay at Home Moms

Tell me about your washer & dryer

Hi Ladies,

I haven't been on the bump in a while!  I didn't post too often anyway :) We just moved to a new house and are looking to buy a new washing machine & dryer.  I have begun researching on-line, but thought that other moms would have the best input :)  What kind of washer/dryer do you have and what do you like or not like about it?  Thank  you so much!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Tell me about your washer & dryer

• It is no secret that I'm a huge LG fan but when DH told me to go pick something out, I was determined to have an open mind. I went to home depot and asked the lady which brand she thought was best. She said LG! She said their technology is like 10 years ahead of everyone else. So that's my 3 cents.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a stacked washer and dryer. And while it saves space, it's a huge pain in the rear. I'm short so it's hard reaching up to put clothes in the dryer and to get them out. So I would suggest getting side by side.
    First BFP April 2011, EDD 01/11/11, MMC June 20, 2011 D&C June 20, 2011 Second BFP September 23, 20011 CP diagnosed September 26, 2011 PAL/PGAL welcome
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We just bought the front-loading Whirlpool washer and dryer.  They are awesome, and my DH saved us $400 by building his own stands for them out of wood. (You can spend that much on the stands that are built for them, which is ridiculous).  I'm not sure what your budget is; they are a bit pricey but they are great.  You can wash a king size comforter in them, and they seem to be quicker to wash and dry than a regular set.  You can set your own wash/dry times and temperatures whichis really nice.

• meglewmeglew member
    We just bought a Samsung front loading steam washer and dryer in October and so far so good! 
    DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • imagehellopoppyseed:
    It is no secret that I'm a huge LG fan but when DH told me to go pick something out, I was determined to have an open mind. I went to home depot and asked the lady which brand she thought was best. She said LG! She said their technology is like 10 years ahead of everyone else. So that's my 3 cents.

Totally agree!  We just recently got a new set and went with LG.  It's amazing so far and I'm in love.  That's so sad LOL

Anyway, we have the LG WT5001CW model. 

• Oh, and another thing I've heard is that the front loaders can have a real mold problem and have to be wiped down/cleaned out quite often and I just don't have the memory or time for that!
  • Samsung front loader set, BB had them in rewards zone coupons a few years ago, then kept screwing up our order so we got ones 3 models nicer than we ordered. I love them. My clothes seem to last longer and it gets things really clean. The steam refresh on the dryer is handy too. One thing we bought for our front loader we'd have not known about if not for the sales guy at best buy is Whirlpool makes a universal rubberized shelf that sits on top of the washer & dryer. I like it because I fold in the laundry room. Keeps stuff from going inbetween or behind the W&D.

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• imageShell24:
    Oh, and another thing I've heard is that the front loaders can have a real mold problem and have to be wiped down/cleaned out quite often and I just don't have the memory or time for that!
    I've had mine about 3 years. No smell or mold. Just leave the washer door open.

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• I would never own a front load washer - I know several people who have had floods in their homes due to the washer seal failing (and yes, they were home when this happened!)

Our washer is 5 yo, dryer is 14 yo - when one of them craps out, we are going to get a HE set - I like the Whirlpool washing machine models that don't have an agitator (and are TOP load).

• cmw624cmw624 member

Thanks ladies!  I appreciate all the helpful info!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I have a 2yr old top load washer/regular dryer from Kenmore. LOVE them. I didn't want to shell out the money for the front loading ones so instead paid a little less but got a higher end top load model. So glad I bought them!  I think "Oasis" is in part of the model name or something.
  • I have a front load washer and dryer made by Amana(NFW7200). I bought the washer and dryer about 3 years ago and love them. I bought my at Home Depot based on reviews. They were some of the highest rated washer/dryers at the time and you couldn't beat the price especially for a front loader. I almost went with an LG that had the pretty colors and looked alot cooler but so glad I didn't. My sis bought an LG washer shortly after I bought my washer/dryer. She says she loves her but I have used her washer and it does seem to get your clothes fully clean.

A little bit about my loads might help you decide if my washing needs are close to yours to help you with your buying decisions. My husband is a soldier in the Texas Army National Guard and also works with pumps, pipes, valves for the oil industry. His clothes are normally covered in hydraulic oil and oil. When he is on duty for the Army (unless deployed), he is normally out in the heat all day where they are bulldozing and crushing rock. I also have a 3 year old daughter, a daughter on the way, and I am a stay at home wife.

I love that both of the doors are made to switch which way they open. On my sisters, the door opens to the right and you can not flip the door. To me, this is irritating b/c her washer hook up is directly against a wall which is on the right of the washer and the door opens  to your left. So when your unloading the washer and loading her dryer, you are constantly maneuvering around the door. 

When I purchased them, a sales associate told me you could pack the washer with as many clothes and the washer could handle the load. I did not believe him at the time so I tested his theory and he was right. I don't know if every front loading washer can handle a load where you can barely close the door but I do know mine did. I wash my king size comforter and it gets it clean. Now, my dryer has come trouble completely getting my comforter dry. The dryer has an automatic dryer sensor cuts off when it think your clothes are dry. The comforter will be dry on the outside but the inside of the load tends be a little damp. My comforter is the only thing my dryer has trouble getting dry. The dryer sensor works awesome on everything else though. 

Like I said, I love my washer and dryer and highly recommend both. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Smile

https://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product_details.jsp?pid=10472&mode=buyUsedOnly&sid=IDx20110411x000001&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=N99110472

• Oh I forgot to add a few things. Some people have had problems with a mildew smell with the front loaders but the installation guy told me to leave the door open on the washer after using it. I do not always leave it open and most of the time just have it cracked and have not had an issue with the smell.

I prefer the front loaders over the top loaders b/c they are easier to do laundry especially when preggy. Even my 3 year old likes to help me put clothes in the washer/dryer. he ones with the agitator are made to twist and pull your clothes which wears your clothes out faster. When I bought the washer/dryer, I had a laundry room but then I moved to a house that had no laundry room and the washer/dryer hook ups were in the bathroom. I could not sit them side by side in the bathroom but spent $50 for the stack kit and was able to stack them. Even though I prefer to have them sitting side by side like I do now, it was nice to have the option to stack them especially when you do not have the room.

Also, if you choose to go with a top loader, make sure it does not have an agitator. The agitators are designed to twist and pull your clothes to get them clean. All this puts lots of stress on your clothes which makes them wear out faster. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"