Northern California Babies

s/o restaurant attire poll (cliky)

What about hats at the table?

So here's the deal with hats:

on men all hats except top hats and bowlers are work hats. Fedoras = rain hats.

on women they are decoration/sun protection (but mostly decoration) and a sign of modesty.

So traditionally they are removed inside/at the table because it is assumed they are dirty and it is therefore respectful to remove them in polite company (when you're not actively working) - like gloves.

For the purposes of my poll, let's consider hats = ball caps, since other styles of hat aren't as common these days.

[Poll]
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: s/o restaurant attire poll (cliky)

• My opinion on this has changed since I've been with DH.  I used to believe 'no hats inside...ever' but after DH has had a hat on (especially if we've been outside and he's been sweaty) he has SERIOUS hat head and I really don't want to see it so, if we go to a casual restaurant, I encourage him to leave it on (otherwise I pretty much needs to wet all his hair down)

I have a no hat/hood policy in my classroom and will also have girls remove their hats unless they're attached to their head.  For me, it's more of a visibility issue in the classroom though.

• EmmieBEmmieB member
    imageMrs.BoomBoom:

My opinion on this has changed since I've been with DH.  I used to believe 'no hats inside...ever' but after DH has had a hat on (especially if we've been outside and he's been sweaty) he has SERIOUS hat head and I really don't want to see it so, if we go to a casual restaurant, I encourage him to leave it on (otherwise I pretty much needs to wet all his hair down)

I have a no hat/hood policy in my classroom and will also have girls remove their hats unless they're attached to their head.  For me, it's more of a visibility issue in the classroom though.

I like that it's across the board. :-)

and cheating! I know a guy who put a crib sheet under the brim of his hat. The teacher totally caught him the second she walked into the room. Boys. sheesh.

• Loading the player...
  • bunchbunch member

Wow, I'm a stuffy, old-fashioned crank I guess.  I CANNOT believe that so many of you think that a hat is ever ok inside!  DH and I are both super offended by hats inside.  And this seems (IMHO) to be a symptom of a larger hat offense issue- its all related, like the TONS of people who don't take hats off for the national anthem or when a parade or funeral procession passes. 

I hope you all know me enough to know that I'm not being judgy, I'm just seriously shocked.  I had no clue it was "socially acceptable"- I honestly thought all the people (men, often) at bars, etc were clueless.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagebunch:

Wow, I'm a stuffy, old-fashioned crank I guess.  I CANNOT believe that so many of you think that a hat is ever ok inside!  DH and I are both super offended by hats inside.  And this seems (IMHO) to be a symptom of a larger hat offense issue- its all related, like the TONS of people who don't take hats off for the national anthem or when a parade or funeral procession passes. 

I hope you all know me enough to know that I'm not being judgy, I'm just seriously shocked.  I had no clue it was "socially acceptable"- I honestly thought all the people (men, often) at bars, etc were clueless.

AMEN.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"