Cloth Diapering

Hard water and Calgon

I just got an order from Kelly's Closet- in it was a flyer about washing routines. They mentioned hard water and using Calgon water softener to remove mineral buildup. So, as far as Calgon goes- do they literally mean the "Take me away" Calgon bath salt stuff??? Really?

And, has anyone done this?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hard water and Calgon

• dcnmdcnm member
    No, it is Calgon WATER SOFTENER.  Do not use bath salts!  It's in the laundry aisle near the Borax.  I use the powder version in equal proportion to my detergent.  It helps the hard water dissolve your detergent so it can clean your clothes and diapers Wink
  • Ok, I was pretty sure they didn't mean balth salts... I couldn't see how the heck that would do anything but cause some sorta rash! I have NEVER seen the other Calgon!

Do you do this for every load, or just occasionally?

• Loading the player...
  • I just tried this, RnG suggested it because I was having repelling and stink issues.  They said to use it once in a while.  I just used it once and haven't had any problems since.  I also did a MAJOR strip with dawn and boiling water at the same time.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • dcnmdcnm member
    It depends on how hard your water is. My water is very hard and I used to use it almost every load, but the stuff is pricy so I started scaling back and I've been fine as long as I do regular stripping with RLR. You might want to just see how you do without it.
  • It's not the same as bath salts.  Calgon is sold in grocery stores in a white plastic bottle.  When I got barnyard smell it was the ONLY thing that cleared it up with Denver hard water.  use 1/4-1/2 cap in the prewash.  It's about $5 and it lasted me 3-4 months washing every other day.
  • Thanks everyone! I'll grab some next time I go to the store to try it out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"