Pregnant after IF
Options

Your one splurge?

I'm making a list of things we'll need to buy and/or register for.  Now, that I'm a SAHW and soon to be SAHM, I'm looking for deals at garage sales, consignment shops, Craigslist, etc. as well.  However, some things, I just want new.  I would love a glider, but they are so expensive.  And some of the double strollers are just ridiculously expensive, so I'm thinking I'll go cheaper there.  I'm wondering if you had one splurge item, what was it?  Or a handful of splurge items?
TTC #1 since October 2008. Dealing with MFI.
IVF #1 w ICSI in July 2010 = BFN
IVF #2.1 in Oct 2010 converted to IUI = BFN
IVF #2.2 w ICSI in Dec 2010 = BFN
Met with new RE in new city on 1/31/11.
IVF #3 w ICSI in April 2011. HPT on 5/9 = BFP!
Beta #1 on 5/10 (10dp5dt) = 99.4. Beta #2 on 5/12 = 284. First u/s on 5/26. = Fraternal TWINS!
Twin boys born & lost on 8/16/11 at 18w1d due to PPROM & preterm labor.
IVF #4.1 in Jan 2012 converted to IUI on 1/7/12 = BFN
IVF #4.2 w ICSI in Feb 2012. Lupron on 2/10. Stims on 2/18. ER on 2/29- 7R,6F
ET scheduled for 3/5/12- nothing to transfer :(
Dh seeing new MFI uro & Dh starting meds- June 2012.
IVF #5 in Dec 2012 = BFFN.
IVF #6 planned for Spring 2013. Praying for our take home baby/ies.
**P/SAIF and P/SAL always welcome!**

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Your one splurge?

• Options

I'd have to say our nursery!  We've had it designed for two years (and went with a custom theme), so when it came time to actually put it together we went all out!  It was totally unnecessary, but lots of fun.

We registered on Friday night.  I guess I never really noticed, but baby stuff is very expensive!!!!

TTC since April 2009 dx = PCOS; TTC History for DS - A FET miracle after 7 IUIs; 2 fresh transfers, and 1 other FET resulted in BFNs. Hoping and Praying for baby #2: Cycle 1 - FET; November 2012 BFN Next Steps - who knows? Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Our stroller for sure (we got a BJ City Select).  Cannot wait to use it.

Also, my MIL/FIL bought our glider...so that was more of their splurge, but we got the best chairs Tryp recliner in custom fabric.  It's arrived, we just need to clear out the nursery and bring it home!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was going to splurge on the stroller (bjcs) because I knew that it would be my lifeline out of the house. I got lucky when my MIL and SIL bought it for us. Honestly, I have found so many things I thought I would go crazy on (cribs, bedding, glider) just don't seem that important now. I bought ikea cribs because they take up less space, never bought crib bedding sets because I knew we did not need bumpers and I did not like the look of the skirt with the crib, and the glider was just way too expensive and twins need more room for nursing. I did spend @500 on paint and material for custom closets (my dad built). You will be amazed at how much stuff you will get as gifts. I don't have a big family and I don't work so did not expect much. I was SHOCKeD how much I got. Only big thing I had to buy were the car seats. I wish now that I would have registered for the babies first year photo sessions. I am a photo whore and I know this will be my big splurge. **sorry for the paragraph, on iPad**
  • Options

There were several things that I would have spent any amount of money on when money was no object, but of course that was before we were cycling OOP, I quit my job, and now we are having twins.  I may still buy a jogging stroller, but am waiting until it goes on sale (when I need it next summer), until then I'll be happy w/my DSNG (CL) and BJ City Mini double (sale).

I was thinking I'd need to spend a grand on an upholstered glider, but then we started really shopping around the only one that has a high enough back for DH and me (and isn't of the Amish variety) is a glider/recliner from BRU for $400.  It just takes a little more legwork to find deals, but all we got now is time, right? ;) 

I consider my "splurge" at this point to not be a slave to the man and be able to just focus on taking care of myself and the babies now and after they arrive.  I'm also buying as much organic (bedding, etc.) for the babies as I can.  Oh, and I have a serious Janie and Jack addiction, but other that that...  GL!

TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We spent a lot of money on the glider. We bought an ergonomic leather rocker/recliner which we want to move to the living room after we don't need it anymore in the nursery.
    TTC Since 01/09
    Unexplained IF
    Clomid cycle 1-3 - BFN IUI 1-3 - BFN 
    IVF 1 - BFP 4/4/11 - It's a boy!
    FET 1 - BFP M/C 6/14
    IVF 2 - 33R/19F 12 PGS resulted in 5 normal embies
    FET 1 scheduled 12/10/14
  • Options
    We splurged on our glider & ottoman. It's from Best Chairs Storytime series & is in a custom fabric. It was the widest chair we could find & I'll be able to hold/rock & even nurse both babies in it at the same time. We ended up putting it in our living room & I spend so much time in it already. It's so comfortable & was worth every penny!
  • Options

So far, the stroller we really like is the Uppababy Vista, so it's fair to say that's a splurge! Knowing MIL, she'll probably want to buy it for us.

We'll be doing the closet in the nursery with an Elfa system, so it's fair to say that's a pretty decent splurge too.

Married 08.06
    Started TTC 05.08
    Me: Stage II endo, borderline high FSH
    DH: perfect
    1 lap, 5 IUIs = 4 BFNs and 1 c/p
    2 IVFs, 2 FETs = 1 BFN, 1 c/p, 1 ectopic and finally a sticky BFP in May 2011!

1 FET in Aug 2013 = BFP! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I guess the stroller (city mini). It's not like it was super duper expensive, but we could have gone cheaper and been fine. I just really liked that one :)
  • Options
    JenCWJenCW member
    My initial splurge was going to be my Bugaboo Cameleon stroller, but then I got an unexpected check from my insurance company, so I decided I'd let that cover the stroller purchase.  I used the saved stroller money on the nursery which included my custom covered glider and a few of the decor items (curtains/bedding, chandelier, paint).  I probably should have saved that money, but I figured it was going to be my one and only girl nursery and I wanted to go all out.
  • Options
    We didn't get it on our registry so we are going to splurge on our BJ City Mini. And the accessories for it. I am now stalking for sales, discounts, etc.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We are also buyig mostly used, and I planned on our splurge to be the crib (splurge in this household means not used or the cheapest new version they sell), but then when Glow found Graco Lauren cribs for $87, I decided that even though it was walnut instead of the espresso I wanted, it was stupid not to buy it.

I've got a $129 glider on our walmart registry since I've heard mixed reviews on how much people use them.  I'm not even sure we'll buy it if someone doesn't buy it for us.  If later on we decide it would be super helpful, we can buy it later.

In my book having a baby is the splurge, so we're trying to find everything she'll need super cheap.  Honestly, she's going to pee, poop, and puke on pretty much everything we buy, so it doesn't seem worth it to spend a whole lot.

• Options
    We splurged on the stroller (b-ready) and our rocker will probably be another splurge. We got a glider off Craigslist but I think were going to get a chair instead. I am super thrifty and got many things at consignment sales and CL. I even got our splurge items on sale! I can imagine with two on the way I'd be even more frugal!
  • Options
    The bedding. Even though everyone says not to spend a lot on bedding and that it's a waste I want a cute nursery! I got my strollers off CL, bought pretty cheap but still safe cribs, and will probably get a changing table secondhand.
    Diagnosis: DOR and MFI-low everything IVF #1 = triplets! 2 girls and a boy! Born Sept 29, 2011 at 32w6d due to Pre-e and HELLP syndrome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jcathjcath member

I bought the BJ city mini double on sale - it sure felt like a splurge as it cost more than my teenagers used car...seriously.

I didn't buy anything particularly expensive for the nursery but it feels like a splurge to have bought new stuff (we are re-using a dresser) at all.

We haven't picked out a chair b/c I'm worried it won't be big enough to nurse both babies in.  I also have not bought a single item of clothing.  I've gotten some as gifts but I probably should enjoy myself now.

• Options

other than the house we bought? Stick out tongue

we're lucky in that these babies are grandchildren #7-8 and we live very near family, so we are getting a LOT of stuff used from them.

we were given a really nice, never used glider and ottoman from MIL (she bought for GC #1 and never used it), and a used valco twin stroller from BIL who has also twins. my parents are buying our car seats and paying to have the nursery closet re-done. my IL's are buying the nursery furniture.

my MIL took me shopping this weekend for a layette and we bought the girls lots of clothes. we also went through about 5 bags of used girls' clothing from my 2 SILs so we're good for at least their first 6-9 months on clothes now.

so far the only thing we've spent money on is about $150 in clothes, $150 in window treatments/crib skirt and $25 on a DSNG. oh and about $90 in diapers last weekend during the BRU sale.

ETA - the one thing we will spend on ourselves is a nice rug for the nursery. i just haven't found the right one yet!

• Options
    I haven't splurged on anything yet, but I really want Aden + Anais swaddle blankets & washcloths (I know they are not technically a splurge, but in my family's eyes, I could get them cheaper....so I keep second guessing myself). I'll also probably get a MacLaren double stroller for when they are bigger (have a DSNG for now).
    TTC since 8/09
    DX: PCO, ENDO, High NK, MTHFR
    8/10 = Lap to remove Endo

2 Femara TI, 3 Follistim IUI = BFN & 1 c/p
    IVF #1 - BFP - boy/girl Twins!

Ben and Reese born at 34w2d!
  • Options
    So far, my splurges have been the stroller (Uppababy Vista) and my diaper bag.  I've already spent about $1k just on those two things alone. =/
    11/10: IUI #1 =100mg Clomid CD4-8 + pregnyl trigger + IUI = chemical pregnancy
    1/11: IUI #2 = 5mg Femara + trigger + IUI = BFN
    2/11: IUI #3 = injectibles + trigger + IUI = BFN
    IVF #1 April 2011 ER 4/23 w/16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fert., 4 blasts to freeze, 5dt of 2 blasts on 4/28, beta #1 5/7 = 243... beta #2 5/9 = 491....beta #3 5/11 = 1113!!
    my blog

2011-02-04_11-37-12_452
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"