September 2011 Moms
Options

am i totally off the wall for side-eyeing this???

FB friend has her son 4 days ago.  Her status is about how she "put him in the swing and he was fussy but now he he is quiet and likes it...lol."  I realize I may be a crunchy attachment parenting type.  but I just can't imagine letting a four day old newborn be fussy because i just didn't feel like holding him.  Don't get me wrong, our baby will definately get put down, not saying they should be held 24/7 and can never be put down.  I nannied for a little girl who was extremely fussy and yes i would let her be fussy at times, but she was also several months old.  I'm all about the never say never thing, but i have a hard time believing i could let my four day old baby fuss in a swing especially for a first child, even just for several minutes when i could just be cuddling them.  Like i say, maybe i'm just too crunchy Tongue Tied
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: am i totally off the wall for side-eyeing this???

• Options
    i probably wouldn't think twice about it.  i mean, if she said, after an hour of crying in the swing he's finally happy, i'd side eye the crap out of that.  but it's ok for babies to fuss too and sometimes those swings are lifesavers.
  • Options
    I just can't imagine putting my baby down once he/she gets out of there.  Not sure I'll want to even stop looking at the little one!  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    and let me just say it was probably about that time frame that i finally got the courage to poop.  you gotta go when you gotta go and if that means baby fusses for 10 min, then so be it. 
  • Options
    Swings are livesavers. IMO your being crunchy...lol...whatever that means. Things like this shouldn't be judged until you have been in the same situation. No mom should be judged for not holding their child 24 hours a day. Sometimes you need a break and at 4 days...you are exhausted.  
  • Options

imageTheFannins729:
    and let me just say it was probably about that time frame that i finally got the courage to poop.  you gotta go when you gotta go and if that means baby fusses for 10 min, then so be it. 

LMAO!  Word, eventually, you just have to say hell with it for a few minutes and, you know, take care of basic needs. 

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Options
    imageGeekchick921:

imageTheFannins729:

LMAO!  Word, eventually, you just have to say hell with it for a few minutes and, you know, take care of basic needs. 

you know how it is.  when you get the urge, you take advantage of it.  

• Options

imageTheFannins729:

Dude, this scares the HELL out of me! What if I bust back open?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I loved to hold DS1 & I loved to wear him in a baby carrier until he was almost two but I found the swing to be a great help too & used it (not excessively though) from the first couple of days he was home!  Honestly one of his favorite things was to be swaddled & popped into the swing.  He was happy & I was able to get a few things done. 

I think its a very individual thing.  As long as a parent is not leaving the child in the swing/carseat/crib for hours on end I don't see it as too awful!

• Options
    You do what works, and the swing obviously works. I wouldn't think twice at her post.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    you will have to remind me of this and ask if i end up doing it after she gets here...lol.  And like i say, not saying there is anything wrong with putting the baby down,  i don't plan on holding her 24/7.  And when you gotta poo, ya gotta poo Smile She has been a special flower throughout the entire pregnancy, I only am friends with her just to see what she does next.  I'm sure i took her post wrong, just came off like "i don't feel like holding my child so i'm going to let him fuss in the swing while i sit here on FB and LOL myself"  but like i say, feel free to remind me of this and ask if i do the same!
  • Options
    Eh, I'm in the middle on this one.  With my first, my XH loved to just throw DS into an apparatus every chance he got (swing, bouncer, etc) and I hated that.  With that said, there are times when you do need to go do something and in those cases "you gotta do what you gotta do" even if that involves letting the baby fuss.  I personally don't feel comfortable letting the baby fuss that young, but later on I can definitely understand it.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imagelaurasuzanne2006:
    you will have to remind me of this and ask if i end up doing it after she gets here...lol.  And like i say, not saying there is anything wrong with putting the baby down,  i don't plan on holding her 24/7.  And when you gotta poo, ya gotta poo Smile She has been a special flower throughout the entire pregnancy, I only am friends with her just to see what she does next.  I'm sure i took her post wrong, just came off like "i don't feel like holding my child so i'm going to let him fuss in the swing while i sit here on FB and LOL myself"  but like i say, feel free to remind me of this and ask if i do the same!

Haha...yeah you probably don't really like her so you look for something in her posts. Nothing wrong with that. :)

• Options
    andplusalso, ds screamed when i held him a lot of times.  then what?  lol. 
  • Options
    imageitalnprncss78:

imagelaurasuzanne2006:

Haha...yeah you probably don't really like her so you look for something in her posts. Nothing wrong with that. :)

true that!  haha.  her discharge post for leaving the hospital mentioned how the baby is gassy just like her DH  Huh?

• Options

Obviously babies can be fussy for a few moments and then calm down.. but I thought that early on they pretty much always need something when crying..?

ETA:  If the baby just fussed for a couple seconds before relaxing that's completely different than letting baby cry in the swing while you are busy updating facebook. Thats probably all it was. and LOL at the "when you gotta go, you gotta go" comments.

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options

I would like to talk to someone 6 months from now who didn't need to put their baby down for 5 minutes to have a human moment. Bathroom, escape from insanity and delirium, whatever. You need to put your kid down, no matter how crunchy you are, and sometimes they are going to fuss about it... but you don't stop being a human because you have a kid, and no one on earth can be 'on' 24 hours a day. 

• Options
    imageT&HLove:

Obviously babies can be fussy for a few moments and then calm down.. but I thought that early on they pretty much always need something when crying..?

ETA:  If the baby just fussed for a couple seconds before relaxing that's completely different than letting baby cry in the swing while you are busy updating facebook. Thats probably all it was. and LOL at the "when you gotta go, you gotta go" comments.

i'm ASSuming that since the fb status included mentioning that the baby was no longer crying that she wasn't updating fb while the baby was crying.

• Options
    Some babies just don't like to be held all the time. They get overstimulated.
    Mommy to three adorable boys!
  • Options
    imagear78:

imageTheFannins729:

BranBuds cereal, throw-up Metamucil, and Benefiber are my ''frenemies."  My new-mommy girlfriends have already told me to demand for laxitives at the hospital immediately after I give birth (if I haven't been given them already), and one of them gave me a bottle of Septikot (an herbal laxitive that the pharmacist told me was safe to take for the first 1-2wks max).  "Busting the back open" is one thing that I'm definitely terrified about!  So I'm going to do everything in my power not to have that happen!

• Options
    I'm just thinking that fussing isn't necessarily a negative thing, it's just the baby being like "WTF?" I know a couple babies who are always making fussy noises--not crying, not unhappy necessarily, just fussing. I don't think there's any way to keep your baby from fussing forever, and if the baby was really unhappy about the swing they would have cried, not just fussed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageTheFannins729:
    imageT&HLove:

i'm ASSuming that since the fb status included mentioning that the baby was no longer crying that she wasn't updating fb while the baby was crying.

uhh. yea me too.which is why I wrote the bolded statement above.......?

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    imageT&HLove:
    imageTheFannins729:
    imageT&HLove:

sorry.  misread.  i thought you were saying that's all it was meaning she was letting the baby cry.

• Options
    imageTheFannins729:
    imageT&HLove:
    imageTheFannins729:
    imageT&HLove:

sorry.  misread.  i thought you were saying that's all it was meaning she was letting the baby cry.

no problem.. I can see it being read that way

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options

Maybe I am what you call "crunchy" too because I find it odd that she would post something like that on FB in fear that people would assume... and that is what we're doing here... that she is already tired of being a new mommy and needs a break.

I would love to think that I will want to hold him every single second when he finally arrives but I'm going with the BTDT moms and thinking i'll want to use the swing too.

However, your post made me think of a girl I work with. She just had her baby last Saturday and on Wednesday she brought him into work (a major dept store) and let people hold him! I was mortified! I can't even fathom passing my little 4 day old baby around to a bunch of women who have been dealing with the public and touching money all day. NTM we have concrete floors with tile on top. Weird.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagesupernat3:
    imagear78:

imageTheFannins729:

BranBuds cereal, throw-up Metamucil, and Benefiber are my ''frenemies."  My new-mommy girlfriends have already told me to demand for laxitives at the hospital immediately after I give birth (if I haven't been given them already), and one of them gave me a bottle of Septikot (an herbal laxitive that the pharmacist told me was safe to take for the first 1-2wks max).  "Busting the back open" is one thing that I'm definitely terrified about!  So I'm going to do everything in my power not to have that happen!

yes, your ob should give you a stool softener perscription IN the hospital and they will advise you as you order your meals in recovery to include things with fiber and eat healthy. etc.  

you should talk to you doc about it now if you're that concerned. let them explain how it works and how to use the bathroom and take care of thing down there during your 6 wks recovery. A nurse may even help you in the bathroom the first time you change yourself. Icepacks, tucks pads, cream and two maxi's - I call it the sub sandwich. LOL!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Mrs. Fitzsimons on 4/21/07.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"