Toddlers: 24 Months+

If your kid still doesn't watch TV or DVDs....

....and you have a TV in your home that you watch, at what age do you think you might start allowing it? Or will you just wait until it's unavoidable (e.g., when s/he becomes curious and asks to watch)?

I have a 21-month-old, and he doesn't watch anything right now except the satellite-radio TV stations, which don't show much except a glorified screen saver. :P 

Re: If your kid still doesn't watch TV or DVDs....

• I won't say DS hasn't ever seen TV.  He has a few times, such as when he was really sick, or, most recently, the day we flew the red-eye back from the west coast.

However, it isn't a daily or even weekly occurance.

Consistently watching? I don't know.  I'll probably just wait for the inevitable.  No plans to start him down that road any time soon.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I'm not against tv in moderation.  DD has no interest in it, so I'm waiting until she wants to watch it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DD is just starting to show interest in TV. Her attention span is about 10 mins so she hardly ever gets through an entire show.  Here's how I manage and control the TV-watching:  I try keeping her busy with her toys and activities like coloring, painting, or helping me with chores.  We spend mornings outside before it gets too hot.  Typically, I will let her watch TV first thing in the morning, mostly because it helps me wake up.  LOL  Then sometimes I'll let her watch after her nap, if she is grumpy, as is often the case.  The rest of the day we just stay active and keep music on for background noise.  :)  I hope we can continue this trend for a long time.  I don't want her to be a couch potato but a little TV is to be expected and I don't think it will hurt her chances for success. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD didn't watch any TV at all until she was almost 2 years old. Then she dropped her nap and I found that the only way to get dinner made or get some "down time" for myself was to put on a show for her here and there. She now loves Dora and the Backyardigans. She still only watches maybe 1 episode at a time and doesn't seem to have the attention span/ interest in watching an entire movie. We have seen maybe 2 or 3 Disney movies together and it drives me crazy because we watch them in 25-35 minute chunks over the course of several days!

We don't have cable, so all the TV we watch is on DVDs or through Netflix. That makes it very easy to be selective about what she watches. Our house has never been a place where the TV is on just for background noise.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD is 3 and she really isn't interested in TV. We typically have the news or sports on fairly often. She will watch movies and sometimes PBS shows. She probably watches TV at daycare, but the reality is...even when I put a movie or PBS on, I find that she isn't watching it for the most part and usually playing with something else while the TV is on.
  • Our TV is never on when DD is awake. She has never watched it and shows no interest. We'll wait until she is asking for it and even then want to control it. Especially now with another baby coming, we don't want her to be parked in front of the TV.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"