Breastfeeding

Anyone using TCOYF/NFP for birth control

I used the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility (TCOYF) to prevent pregnancy before ttc and used the charting method when we were ttc.  I loved the book and learned so much!  The book claims that you can't get pregnant if you nurse at least every four hours during the day, and at least every six hours at night. 

We don't want to use condoms, but CAN'T get pregnant (due to complicated birth) for 6 months.  Is this a safe method to use? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone using TCOYF/NFP for birth control

• I also charted to avoid and then charted to conceive DD. I believe in the method, but it does leave room for human error. If you are exclusively bf'ing, it should keep you from ovulating, but you don't know how long it'll be before you start ovulating again. My sister resumed ovulating at 3 months postpartum. I, on the other hand, didn't until 11 months pp. I would read the chapter about charting while bf'ing to review it. Your body will give you signs that your fertility is coming back - like you'll notice a change in your cervical mucus. But if you really shouldn't get pregnant again for a while, I would always use condoms or talk to your OB about other bc options. I loved charting because it taught me so much about my cycles, but I think it's harder to chart when you're bf'ing and not getting consistent sleep. If you want to rely on charting, you'll need to be very diligent with it and very conservative.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • If I were in a situation where I absolutely should not get PG I would use condoms. Breastfeeding alone is not reliable. There are plenty of women who start their periods at 3, 4, 5 months PP even though they are SAHM's and nurse round the clock. I just wouldn't risk it.

We to TTA but we use condoms around my fertile periods and any time I see somewhat fertile mucus. Since I'm getting up at night to feed my temp isn't very accurate but CM is about the only guide I have. I would never risk it if it was a threat to my or a new baby's health. A rubber is not the worst thing in the world. It's all about priorities/importance IMO.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would not rely on breastfeeding alone. I was nursing every 2 hours at night and at LEAST every two hours during the day (usually more since I was nursing 2 kids) and I still got AF at just 5 weeks PP. It's been regular since then even though I'm still BFing a lot so I know I could get pregnant. I also got pregnant when DD1 was 5 months old while EBF.

I do use NFP, but I also use condoms every time as a backup. 

Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• 1ht

i love tcoyf and nfp used it for 3 years before ttc and to get pg.  that said, i cant rely on it while bf'ing.  my cycles are just too erratic.   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We're using FAM but it's definitely difficult while BFing.  I'd use condoms if I were you.  Of course we are during my fertile time (which is always now until I confirm a first PP ovulation).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"