Pre-School and Daycare
Options

4 yo temper tantrums

My DS had the most horrible temper tantrums at age 2.  About two months before his third birthday they seemed to disappear and he became a happy little boy.  A few months ago the tantrums seemed to have resurfaced.  He turned four in June.  I read that this is normal since they start to assert their independence.  Have any of you had this happen?  Is this really normal?  We didn't go through this with DD but she is much less stubborn than DS.  Any comments or suggestions on how to handle tantrums at this age are welcome.  I don't know how much more I can take with a new LO on the way.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: 4 yo temper tantrums

• Options

DD just started major tantrums right before turning 3. Anything and everything sent her into a 15 minute (or much longer) screaming and kicking fit.

I bought a Melissa and Doug responsibility (reward) chart and introduced it three weeks ago. So far, it's worked wonders. We put "cheerful morning" and "cheerful evening" as two of her responsibilities, and the mere mention of not earning a smiley face can end a tantrum before it really gets going.

Might be worth a shot. I know it's awful. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice.  I'll have to give it a try.  Where did you purchase the chart?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DS has some serious tantrums.  From what I know/read it is very common at this age. They are still trying to figure out where they fit in, they want to exert independence like you said and still want to be nutured.  A book I would highly recommend is It's a Boy by Micheal Thompson. It is a great book about the difference between boys and girls and how their development. I have found it completely spot on with both my boys. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"