August 2011 Moms
Options

false water breaking today

Well, today has been interesting.  I woke up suddenly at 6:30 and felt like I had started my period.  (I'm 38 weeks & 5 days today.)  I went to the bathroom and my undies were soaked.  I called out for my husband & told him what was going on & he asked if it was my water breaking & I said I didn't know but that's what it looks like.  (I even did the sniff test several times & it didn't smell like urine.)

So I changed undies & put on a pad and laid down and more fluid kept coming.  I got up and ate breakfast & we put the final touches on our hospital bags...just in case.  I went through 2 pads in about 2.5 hours.  

I called my doc's office around 9:30 (I didn't want to call earlier b/c the contractions that I was having weren't bad...they felt like just my normal BH ones...& didn't want it to be the real thing & get there & then be put on pit to get things going, etc.)  When I called they said to come in & get checked out and to bring our bags.  

We got there...and long story short....after 4 nurses & 2 midwives checking me out...and running 3 tests...everything came back negative for amniotic fluid.  I was still leaking fluid...but they said it was vaginal fluid.  I was so surprised.  One nurse made mention that it could have been another bag of something...like a pre-something...but I wasn't sure what she was talking about.  

It was a mixed bag of emotions for my husband & I b/c I was still at 1cm dilated (another surprise) & if it was the real thing they would have probably had to start me on pit to get things going...and we didn't want that.  And it was hard b/c we thought this might be the real thing and might be meeting our son today.  

And since leaving the hospital close to 1pm...I have been having bleeding (which I'm chalking up to having 2 internals done) and more contractions & fluid leaking & back ache & cramping.  It's crazy having all these things going on & knowing..."hey, it's still not time".  

I did tell the nurse that having this fluid leak makes it hard to know if in the future my water really does break...if it's the real thing or not and whether to come in.  She was so sympathetic with that & agreed with me.  I told my H that not until things get progressively more painful....whether that's today or the end of this week or next...I don't want to go back to OB triage.   It's hard to figure some of these things out.  We both agreed though to not take any chances (& the nurse encouraged us in this too)...and if things look like this again...to just come in.  I just don't want to be "that girl" that comes in for little things.  Make sense?  

Anyways....just an interesting day.  I wanted to share this with you guys in case any other ladies have experienced this or might experience it in the future.  And...can you believe tomorrow is August?!?!  Craziness!   

Re: false water breaking today

• Options

Did they do the fern test too? 

I'm sorry it was so frustrating. I can't imagine you'd be leaking that much vaginal fluid??? I would've thought the same thing and my water DID break with my first! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yes, they did the fern test.  I actually did a search on this topic before I left for the hospital & read your post on this very thing...so I was aware of that when they said they wanted to do that.  (Thank you so much for writing that!!)

I know...isn't that strange...all the fluid leaking.  It's still been a slow leak all day today (and it's been now 14 hrs since waking up this morning to things soaked.) I have no clue.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options

That's really, really strange.

Definitely don't feel bad at all.  After going in and out of L&D with early labor a few weeks ago, the nurse encouraged me to come in and get checked if I'm ever concerned.  She said that they do it all the time.

I hope that the real thing happens soon!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageBnchaNums:

That's really, really strange.

Definitely don't feel bad at all.  After going in and out of L&D with early labor a few weeks ago, the nurse encouraged me to come in and get checked if I'm ever concerned.  She said that they do it all the time.

I hope that the real thing happens soon!

Thank you...me too! :)  I was so thankful that all the nurses & midwives (one was mine) were so sweet & helpful...that was a blessing!   

• Options
    Wow- that's frustrating and strange!  It makes me think of how with my brother, my mom had something like this happen-  her "water broke" she went in, nothing happened for hours and hours and they finally gave her pitocin, and still no progress.  Finally they did an internal (I guess they were hesitant to do one because her water had broken and they were nervous to introduce any bacteria...) and saw a "second" bag of water.  They manually broke it and my brother was born within an hour... Hang in there...  You're so close!!
    ~Cate~ Baby Boy born 8/30/11!!
  • Options
    That stinks!  What a false alarm, but to still be leaking?! That would make me nutty.  Hope the real thing happens soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"