2nd Trimester

Prenatal Vitamins with DHA?

I was just reading abou these. I am 24 weeks pregnant, is it too late to benefit from taking prenatals with DHA as opposed to regular ones?

Re: Prenatal Vitamins with DHA?

• My doctor recommends taking them starting in your third trimester, so you're right on time. Some people take them the entire time, but I think it has something to do with prepping your body to breastfeed. Anyway, not too late!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagel_elizabeth:
    My doctor recommends taking them starting in your third trimester, so you're right on time. Some people take them the entire time, but I think it has something to do with prepping your body to breastfeed. Anyway, not too late!

DHA actually made me very itchy. My doc said that its ok not to take them and they are the most important later on in pg. So I agree with pp. Not to late at all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's not too late. The baby's brain is developing at a rapid rate right now and will continue to develop rapidly for the next five years. You'll need DHA when you breastfeed too.

Look for ones with a high dose, though. The ones with only 15 mg are a waste of money. I'm actually just taking a regular prenatal and then a separate DHA capsule on the side. I like the plant-source ones because they don't leave a fishy aftertaste. Expecta is a good one that you take once daily. It has 200 mg of DHA in it. I'm taking Source Naturals right now and like them too. I buy them on Amazon and they're slightly cheaper than the Expecta ones per capsule.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• You can always add a DHA supplement to your daily routine. I buy the target brand DHA, they are the least expensive (that I have found) and do not have fish in them. My doctor also suggested I take a D3 supplement (2000mg) because it prevents depression in mama and jaundice in baby. I am unsure if that is in your prenatal or not.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • fish oil doesn't agree with my stomach... i just try to eat foods rich in omega 3 and i bought a seaweed based supplement for the days i dont eat certain foods. I always think its better for it to naturally be in your food since you dont absorb most of what's in a vitamin anyways.  I would be VERY careful about what prenatal you are taking that is advertised with DHA....i looked at a lot of the vitamins and they were missing the minimum recommended by my doc. Ive been taking a flinstones every day for years and my OB is okay with it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"