Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Please let this be a "stage" that will pass

I haven't posted in awhile but have been lurking some.  We are also TTC which is taking a bit out of me emotionally.  Anyway...

DD used to be a GREAT sleeper.  For the past week (maybe 2) she will.not.sleep.  Previous bedtime was 7-7:30, but now we are pushing 10-11pm and I know she is completely overtired so it involves screaming and tears.  Also waking up several times a night when she used to STTN.  Naptime used to be around 11am for about 2 hours.  Now it is closer to 2pm and once again a struggle.  All of that, plus she is just not the happy, content girl she used to be.  I'm so tired...and feel like I am missing something here. 

I know she is getting a couple new teeth, but they have been working their way in for a couple weeks now.  Any other ideas?  Suggestions? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Please let this be a "stage" that will pass

• Options

Is she still in her crib?  If so, I'd make sure you're sticking to a strict bedtime routine (bath at 6:30, quiet play while listening to soothing music- Jewel has a great lullaby album, a few night time books in her room, then into bed ... or something like that).  I'd probably do motrin if you think the teeth are bothering her at all.  Then I'd let her CIO.  She clearly isn't getting enough sleep, and it's a vicious cycle.    

If you put her in a bed, I'd put her back into a crib with a crib tent if necessary- she's still young.  DS went through a major sleep disruption this summer when he moved into a toddler bed, so I feel your pain.  He's almost 3, though, so going back to the crib wasn't a great option.  What finally worked for him was sticking to our routine and then doing the Supernanny technique (putting him directly back into bed every time he got up.)

ETA: have you had her ears checked out?  For my kids, sleep disruption has sometimes been the only symptom. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Thanks ladies!

Yes, she actually is just finishing up antibiotics from an ear infection.  I should have mentioned that in my original post. 

We also haven't had much activity lately.  We have been under a heat advisory for practically the whole month of July and we are not near any good indoor play places.  I think we are going to head to the IL's for some swimming this afternoon, though.  So hopefully we can wear her out and get her back to bed earlier tonight.  I have about 2 weeks before I go back to work (teacher) and would like to get a good routine back in place.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds like teeth to me.  Allie has done this each time her teeth are bothering her, messed up sleep schedules for a few days and then back to normal.  I didn't know it was teeth until she got old enough to tell me that's what it was.
  • Options
    I just wanted to say that I feel your pain. DD used to ask to go to bed and now she screams no when we finish up our bed time routine. Which has been the same since she was 6 months old. The past few nights she will scream so hard that she gags. It is heart breaking and it takes us a good hour or longer to get her down. I did notice that she is getting a molar, but I also read that separation anxiety runs high during this time and it may have a lot to do with it. Keep trying and hopefully it gets better really soon. I hate to say that I have gotten to the point where in the middle of the night ( DD used to sleep from 7 to 7 straight)  I give up and bring her back to my bed and let my husband sneak her back to her crib before he goes to work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"