Oregon Babies

Kaiser insurance?

Hi everyone!

My DH just changed jobs and found out we will have Kaiser insurance. I'm so sad because my midwife does not take Kaiser. I don't know anyone with it and am wondering if anyone has an OB/CNM they would recommend? I live in the Portland/Gresham area and prefer female...

Thanks for your help!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Kaiser insurance?

• There was just a long post on our twin group's forum and tons of people raved about Dr. Sarah Lambert - very pro low intervention births.  I think she's in Clackamas, but I thought I'd throw her name out there just in case.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I asked my Kaiser pediatrician who she would recommend, and Sarah Lambert was her top pick.  However, she said that all of the OB's at the Mt. Talbert (Clackamas) location were really great.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I love Dr Barnes and Dr Algenio (both women) and Dr Traynor is great too (but he's a man), they are all at Mt Talbert which is across the street from Clackamas Mall, basically.  The nurses there are fantastic also!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks so much! I am so nervous switching insurance as I don't know very much about the Kaiser system. It sounds like you most likely won't end up with the same person at your delivery as you have been seeing....This kind of scares me:( I will definitely check those people out though. Thanks:)
  • imagenickelpickelpink:
    Thanks so much! I am so nervous switching insurance as I don't know very much about the Kaiser system. It sounds like you most likely won't end up with the same person at your delivery as you have been seeing....This kind of scares me:( I will definitely check those people out though. Thanks:)

I was VERY nervous about starting with Kaiser, however they were great!  Their OBGYN and L&D staff are all amazing.  They have 8-ish OBs and 8-ish midwives at Mt Talbert.  I tried to schedule my appts so I could meet several of the staff during my pregnancy and that way I would *know* the OB that was going to deliver me.  I ended up with an unscheduled/emergency c-section at Sunnyside and the staff were all amazing, I had a really positive experience.  Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Also, I liked their birth classes, and we hired the instructor to be a Doula for us, if you are looking for one, she's great too.

And, I have a fabulous pediatrician at that same location!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't know about any of the practitioners on the east side, but I delivered my son at Kaiser Sunnyside Hospital and can't complain about my experience there.  You will most likely be attended to and delivered by a midwife/doctor that is not the same as the one you will see throughout your pregnancy.  In fact, you may see a few different people during your stay there, depending on how long your labor is. The hospital is very flexible and will work with you whatever you want your birth experience to be like.  They lean toward less intervention, but will do whatever you ask for.  The postpartum care is excellent as well.
  • I had a great experience with Kaiser (I was wary too).  I used CNM Rhonda Chick at the Beaverton office, but she has now moved to the Interstate clinic...not sure if that is too far for you.
  • I had Rhonda Chick too and I LOVED her. Wendy Smith was great too. Kaiser is great insurance to have and the system is so easy. I went to the Beaverton Clinic. I will say though, avoid Mary Kraft. She was super crotchety and mean.
  • AMbabyAMbaby member

We have Rhonda Chick now too (first baby and just had my first appointment with her) and we really like her so far. She is energetic and kind and seems to be really on the ball.  :)

• We are getting our care at the Interstate office and we had Rhonda Chick until very recently when she got moved back to the Beaverton Office.  I was actually really irritated at Kaiser for not changing my provider when they first decided to move Rhonda, instead of waiting until my 37 week appointment.  I know a lot of women on here loved her, and my best friend had her and loved her too, but we didn't like her that much honestly.  She was kind of... ditzy?  I never had many questions (I have done a LOT of research on pregnancy and labor/delivery) but the few specific questions I have had she not only didn't know the answer to, she dismissed and said "Isn't pregnancy so strange??"  Umm, actually, I would like a answer to my question.  For example, I asked her which stretch mark cream she would recommend after delivery, and if Mederma was worth the cost.  She replied "Huh?  What's that?"  =I  At that appointment we did the positioning ultrasound, she didn't measure my tummy, or check my weight gain.  When I asked if she could "double check" the sex on the ultrasound, she replied, "Oh, I'm not very good at that..."  Umm, what?!  

Not to mention how horrified I was when I was diagnosed with a UTI (no big deal) and she gave me a prescription for an antibiotic at our last meeting before she moved.   I casually asked the pharmacist if the antibiotic was safe to take in late term pregnancy.  His eyes got big and told me actually, NO it wasn't, that the manufacturer has a warning for 3rd trimester pregnancies, stating it can cause hearing loss and discoloration of baby teeth.  OMG.  How could she prescribe me that medication?  Did she not know the warnings?   I had to wait at the pharmacy for almost 2 hours while they got another doctor to change the prescription, since a pharmacist can't do it.  

So all in all, I'm not a fan of Rhonda.  She was nice and perfectly sweet, but when it came down to my prenatal care, I felt a little uneasy about her knowledge.  

I have seen my new MW once so far, her last name is Krakhauer and she was really nice and informative.   

• Wow, I second avoiding Mary Craft. I got stuck with her... but plan on switching to someone else after my next appointment. She is not warm and fuzzy and in fact, a bit harsh for my taste. This is my first and I have a ton of questions, I just don't feel like I can ask her anything without annoying her. It also really bugged me that the midwife or OB that I see while pregnant likely won't be at my birth - its just "whoever is on call".  When Mary told me that I just stared at her like "Whaaaa?" Apparently that is the Kaiser way. They are a well  oiled machine and I will pay way less out of pocket there than I would with the PPO my job offers. I suppose since we need to be saving money right now, that it may be worth it in the long run, but it totally bugged me too.
  • AMbabyAMbaby member

Wow! I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience! Thanks for all the information about it though. We'll be sure to watch out for those kinds of things.  I did ask about 50 questions at our first appointment (I am also pretty demanding as my friends know) and she answered each one with a lot of information.  I have plans to bring my baby book with us to my next appointment and will be asking about health screenings/tests/measurements/etc. 

We'll play it by ear and see how it goes. I wouldn't stand for the kind of things you were talking about though, that is awful.

• I am having my third child and not only have Kaiser insurance but am a nurse in the operating room at Kaiser.  So, I have seen a number of the midwives and work all of the Drs when they do surgery.  I really like Sarah Krakauer, but she practices out of the Interstate campus.  Yes, Dr. Lambert, Dr. Algenio, and Dr. Traynor (who is male and who I see) are very good options for Drs.  I have heard and have a friend/coworker who sees Kelly Riordan CNM who is at the Sunnyside campus in Clackamas.  I am happy to answer any questions you have.  I do want to point out that how it works at Kaiser is that you will have who ever is on call when you deliver and if you are a normal pregnancy and not a c-section you will have the midwife on call....if you are high risk or need a c-section you will have the Dr.  Hope this helps :)
  • Rhonda is apparently now *back* at the Beaverton office. I saw her once for a checkup at Interstate and when I called to schedule another appointment, they told me she's not at Interstate anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"