Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Should I move my appointment?

I will try to keep this brief and non-confusing. My OB is letting me come back in about 2 weeks for my next appointment at my request so we can try to hear the heart beat by doppler. They are making appointments for me based on LMP, which is about 5-8 days ahead of where I actually am. I made the appointment for August 10th, which puts me at 10w3d by ovulation date. Then my husband informed me he can't make it that day. I would rather not go by myself, and although my friend offered to go with me, I really want DH there, so I am planning to call tomorrow and reschedule. The only other day that week we can both go is the 8th, which puts me 10w1d, and is really barely a week after my last appointment. Is this too early to hear the heart beat by doppler?

My other option is to reschedule for the following Tuesday (11w2d), which is currently the day of my NT scan, so I would have to reschedule that as well (not a big deal).

Would you:

A) keep the original appointment and bring a friend

B) move the appointment to the 8th and risk not hearing the HB because it's too early, causing major PGAL freak out

C) move the appointment to the following week for a more reliable result

Thanks in advance for any advice, ladies! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!

Re: Should I move my appointment?

• Options
    I'm really not sure what I would do. Does DH really want to be there for the doppler appt? Or is he ok with you going with a friend?  Something to keep in mind though is that you will see/hear the HB at the NT scan (I'm assuming you mean ultrasound).  If you opt to reschedule for the date of the NT scan, you might consider pushing the OB appointment back until after that so you can keep the date.  Hearing the HB on doppler is amazing, but it doesn't touch the awesomeness of seeing your LO and his/her HB on ultrasound.  Just my two cents :)
  • Options

Is there any chance they could do a quickie u/s on you instead of doppler?  I ask because I've heard several stories of ladies going in when they are <12 weeks and getting a scare when the hb can't be found via doppler.  Doppler isn't terribly reliable early on, and an u/s would give you visual confirmation of that beautiful flicker, which is also nice.  That's what I would advise trying to do, and I'd pick a date that works well for you and your husband.  If my math is correct you're about 8w now, so the flicker should be visible.

For the NT scan, the 11w2d mark is pushing how early you can get in there as it needs to be done between when you're 11w and 13w6d.  Just thought I'd mention it since my little guy has had a 3ish day variation +/- his actual gestation at the time at ultrasounds.  I guess worst case you get two u/s out of the deal, I'd just hate for you to use up time off from work or something and not get the measurement you need.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Loading the player...
  • Options

You said you would be 10 weeks at the next appt to hear the heartbeat, but that it's based on your oulation date so you would be technically about 12 weeks based on LMP? Right?

I'm just ALWAYS confused on that aspect...

Anyway, I wanted to share with you that the doctor couldn't find my baby girl's heartbeat at 10 weeks with a doppler and I had another sonogram that same minute to make sure all was well - but she assured me that it's only like a 25% chance to hear the heartbeat so early with a doppler!

• Options
    I'd go without your DH- but that's just me. I've had to do a lot of my scans without my DH and I'd rather have him there for the NT scan than just a doppler check. I know that doesn't help much right now but I would make sure he's available by phone. I'll be thinking of you.
    After two losses, a rainbow arrived! DD born 11.5.11
    Dx with severe Asherman's syndrome after a botched PP D&C (pursuing med mal)
    Hysteroscopy Oct '13, not enough progress 
    Hysteroscopy Jan '14, given an end-of-the-road diagnosis
    Joined International Asherman's Association April '14 
    Not ready to give up yet.
    Hysteroscopy with Dr. Isaacson (an expert in the USA) 6.2.14: Good prognosis, at least 50% of cavity open.
    Repeat hysteroscopy scheduled with Dr. I on 6.16.14. Great progress. Unbenched!!!!
    Discussing actively TTC with DH after the heartache of the last year. We're both reeling.

Please, please, please. 
  • Options
    tdmd09tdmd09 member

DH wants to be there, but apparently not that bad since he failed to mention while he was standing right next to me that he was unavailable on that date. My friend offered to go with me after I told her I didn't want to go by myself.

Doing a quick u/s isn't an option because they only have u/s techs in the office on Thursdays. My fear is if I go in for a doppler check too early and they can't find the HB, they'll need to send me out for a u/s, and I don't know if I'd be able to get in right away, etc., which I know would really freak me out.

That was my other concern about the NT -- that it would be too early. They scheduled it based on my LMP, which is 4 days ahead of my O date, and another 3 days ahead of where my 6 week u/s dated me.

I'm leaning towards moving everything back by a few days. Maybe see if I can do my OB appointment on the 16th (11w2d) and the NT scan on the 19th (11w5d), or the 25th (12w4d). Does that sound more reasonable?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • Options
    It is a tough choice.
    The Blog

Dinner.Hard life?

The brothers I Rule and OMG! with their faithful sidekickFootFoot.

imageimageimage

My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"