Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Has your LO had speech therapy?

My son will be 3 in November and he is talking a lot, but you can't understand everything that he says.  He will leave out parts of the word, etc., but he is trying to say the whole word ("snake" becomes "nake", "puppy" becomes "huppy", "smoothie" is "mooby").  He also (just recently) started stuttering when he says "I" at the beginning of a sentence.

I have him scheduled for a speech therapy evaluation, but they can't get him in for months, so I wanted to see if there was anything I could be doing at home that can help him until he is seen?  If your LO has had speech therapy, any tips you can share?

Thank you very much! 

Re: Has your LO had speech therapy?

• Options

DS2 is in speech therapy and he is 21mos. DS1, who is just over 3, does the exact same stuff that your son is doing. I am not concerned at all in regards to him not using the correct letter for a word and I think it is at least somewhat typical of this age. The only thing we do is try to incorporate correct pronunciation.

DS2 is a different animal and his ST is strictly for increasing his vocabulary.

• Options

Okay - thank you!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm a speech therapist... what you're describing is actually normal for a toddler. However, I would keep the evaluation date because it can't hurt to have someone listen to him, especially if he's still doing these things at 3 or later. It's really hard to tell with little ones what errors are developmental and what warrants intervention. (I still have trouble with this with my kindergartners at times!)

Just continue to reinforce/model the correct production, make sure you don't rush him/finish words/sentences for him when he stutters (and make sure other people he speaks to do the same). You can also incorporate sounds into play... so for example, while playing with a snake use the "ssss" sound the snake would make and then try and turn it into the word "snake" But again, don't stress about it (or stress him out about it :) ) It is still normal for him to make those errors at his age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagesasa625:

I'm a speech therapist... what you're describing is actually normal for a toddler. However, I would keep the evaluation date because it can't hurt to have someone listen to him, especially if he's still doing these things at 3 or later. It's really hard to tell with little ones what errors are developmental and what warrants intervention. (I still have trouble with this with my kindergartners at times!)

Just continue to reinforce/model the correct production, make sure you don't rush him/finish words/sentences for him when he stutters (and make sure other people he speaks to do the same). You can also incorporate sounds into play... so for example, while playing with a snake use the "ssss" sound the snake would make and then try and turn it into the word "snake" But again, don't stress about it (or stress him out about it :) ) It is still normal for him to make those errors at his age.

Thank you so much!!  You made me feel a lot better and I will definitely talk to his teachers today when I pick him up.  Thanks again!!!

• Options

DD had speech for 6 months. It was amazing!!!

The best thing you can do is to have your son evaluated and go from there. If they say it's nothing, then you can rest assured! But if there is something they can do for you, go for it!! I wish more people would be open to EI, it was the best thing I did! 

I had DD tested twice, the first time she didn't qualify, the second time she did. I knew she was not keeping up with her peers. And in 6 months she made up for an almost 40% deficit.  

PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"