Infertility

Going for IVF consult...what ?'s to ask

I have 2 IVF consults this week, one at my current clinic and one at another who offers IVF for much cheaper. I was just wondering what kind of questions I should ask specifically regarding IVF. Can you guys help me out?

TIA!

My Blog
DD #1 {04-19-2004}
Secondary IF: Severe MFI (low testosterone, low count, low morph, & very low motility) & Annovulation
After 22 months IUI # 3 Clomid + Follistim = BFP
DD #2 {12-31-2009}
2 more years of failed IF treatments and a failed adoption TTC #3
TTC Journey Over~ Not By Choice

Re: Going for IVF consult...what ?'s to ask

•   

Sorry about the odd formating... I copied these from a document I had.

What drugs and the exact dose of these drugs are you going 

to put me on and why? 

What are the side-effects of these drugs? 

Will you give me a print out of the number of follicles I have 

produced each time I go for a scan?

Will you tell me precisely how many follicles were aspirated 

from each ovary when I have my egg collection and what 

happened to each one of them? 

Exactly how much will I have to pay for the treatment as a 

whole and  precisely what this will and won?t include? 

What facilities does the clinic have to store eggs or embryos 

if I want to freeze them? 

What is the clinic?s live birth rate for my particular age 

group?

How will we communicate during the cycle?  (My doc has an online portal, which I love. Every time there's a new update I get an email and everything is in one location. I can read it over again if there's something I don't understand)

I also recommend https://www.fertilityplus.org... they have a lot of helpful info about the injections and things.

Best of Luck!  

(Live in Europe) TTC since 1/2010
  • I'd be sure to ask some of the following questions.

1. What are the clinic hours?  Is someone available on holidays?

2.  Are there certain days of the week you try to schedule egg retrievals and egg transfers?

3.  Do you have a shared risk program and if so, what are the requirements?

4.  Do you recommend a hysteroscopy and/or mock transfer?

5.  How often can I expect ultrasound monitoring and bloodwork after I start the stims?

6.  What does my history tell you?  (consider FSH, AMH and antral follicle count at a minimum).

Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • Loading the player...
  • One thing about the initial consult.  The RE really won't be able to give you specific information about medications and dosing.  Those variables are determined after your baseline appointment which will occur shortly after you begin your period.   

You should ask for a ballpark idea on costs of medications.  I was given an estimate of $2500-$5000 and I can tell you that we were well into the upper range (if we didn't exceed it).  It's good to know that going in so you aren't surprised every time they call and tell you to refill (should you need it).

Finally, if I could go back and redo my initial appointment, I'd ask my RE about lifestyle -- things to do / things to not do before and during an IVF cycle.  The nurses have all kinds of opinions on these matters.  I'd like to hear it from the RE. 

Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • I didn't see it listed already, so I would add to ask if their normal procedure is a 5 day transfer or a 3 day. You may end up needing a 3 day transfer, based on the growth of your embryos and how many you have, but not all labs are capable of the 5 day, so you would want to know that ahead of time.
    2/11 Diagnosis: DOR-AMH .62, LPD and MFI-4% Morph
    IVF #1-July 2011 7/9/11-Started Stims
    7/20/11-ER:No eggs in 4/5 follicles. Left the 5th follie intact and converted to an IUI
    8/3/11-Beta #1=BFN,
    Nov, 2011 BFP #1=m/c at 7 wks 3 days
    11/11-AMH .47, IVF #2 March 2012...or not!! Surprise BFP on 2/19. Beta #1=161. Beta #2 305 Our little miracle girl is on her way! Due Oct 29, 2012
    <a href="http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb461/andersenspics/?action=view
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"