Hawaii Babies
Options

(nbr) Stupid fabric question...

I feel silly asking this and especially on the D&R boards in fear I will be flamed over there.

I'm going to be making some DIY no sew curtains for our new family room for the sliding glass door.  To make them standard floor length and to cover the whole door at night, how many yards do I need for this?   This is what I'm trying to buy and don't know how many yards I need?  Would 6 yards be enough for this project?

Thanks ladies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
| Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
| Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
| Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |

Re: (nbr) Stupid fabric question...

• Options

i haven't looked at the link b/c i don't really sew but when it comes to things like that I would probably take some measurements of the area you're wanting to put them up in and take the picture in and then ask the ladies at JoAnn to tell you how many yards you need :)

but, maybe someone else here can help :)

• Options

How wide is your sliding glass door? How tall is it? 1 yd = 36 inches or 3 feet...so you'll need enough for the length of your doors plus more to turn under for a hem and to affix hanging rings or grommets. Also, factor in extra length if you mount the hardware above the door frame. Most premade, long panels are either 84" or 95/96" depending on the door/window height.  

The width of this fabric is 57" so you'll need to figure out how many panels you'll need to go across your doors plus extra to turn under as well as to match the pattern on the panels so they line up properly and provide a few inches on the outside of each to block the light from the side of the window.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    inamrainamra member
    Yup, exactly what Lori said. I'd also add a few inches to your measurements to make sure it's still long enough after you folded the hem in and ironed it (I'm assuming you're doing the iron method for no-sew curtains?). Plus, you can always trim longer fabric shorter vs the other way around. Good luck and have fun!
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • Options
    imageMarried2MrWright:

How wide is your sliding glass door? How tall is it? 1 yd = 36 inches or 3 feet...so you'll need enough for the length of your doors plus more to turn under for a hem and to affix hanging rings or grommets. Also, factor in extra length if you mount the hardware above the door frame. Most premade, long panels are either 84" or 95/96" depending on the door/window height.  

The width of this fabric is 57" so you'll need to figure out how many panels you'll need to go across your doors plus extra to turn under as well as to match the pattern on the panels so they line up properly and provide a few inches on the outside of each to block the light from the side of the window.

Thank you Lori!  That's the calculation that I needed.  I have never sewed before so I have the foggiest clue on how to buy fabric for curtains.  This helps me out tremendously! 

Thank you! Big Smile

| Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
    | Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
    | Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"