November 2011 Moms

Wisdom teeth??

So I haven't had any pain, or any feeling at all really, but I felt a tooth coming in at the back of my mouth with my tongue today and sure enough, it looks like one of my widom teeth are coming in!! What the heck!! Why NOW??? I guess I'll be booking a dentist appointment soon... I only just went 2 weeks ago and there was nothing there! So annoying.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Wisdom teeth??

• Do you have the room, if so don't bother. My wisdom teeth came in with my first born. I did not take them out until I had my third.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • As long as you have room, and no pain, it's no big deal.  The biggest problem is if they become impacted which, if yours are coming in, they obviously aren't. Lucky, lucky, lucky.  My wisdom teeth were hell, every single one of them. I had all 4 out at the same time. I definitely DON'T recommend doing that, just for what ever it's worth. I figured it was better to go once and get it all over with. Bad call.

It sounds like maybe yours will be smooth sailing (mine were problematic from day 1).  I am very jealous.  This post also made me feel ridiculously old :(  Wisdom teeth were such a long time ago, it's hard for me to believe that there are moms-to-be out there who are still teething.

• Loading the player...
  • They don't automatically need to come out. I was only born with two wisdom teeth, but still have both of them. They never came in fully and haven't caused any problems. If they aren't causing you pain, you don't have to go running back to the dentist..
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Hmm... hopefully you ladies are right and they will just fit right in with the rest of my teeth, but I really doubt it!  My main concern is my teeth getting all screwed up, but I would really rather wait until after LO is born to have this surgery.

And, MommaErica, it's sad but I am a couple months shy of being 27 and am just barely getting my wisdom teeth in now!!  Pathetic, I know, but all my teeth seemed to come in a bit late.  I had braces in college, too.  Very embarrassing.  :P  I wonder if my daughter will be the same way, too?  Let's hope she gets her daddy's genes in that department.

• Go back to your dentist and see what they say. Had your dentist ever taken xrays to see how many you have and what position they are in? I am a dental assistant and I can tell you that 95 % of people that have wisdom teeth need to have them taken out. First of all, even if you have the room (and almost no one does) it is extremely hard to get your toothbrush and floss back that far to be able to clean properly. No cleaning properly = decay. Decay that far back in your mouth means we can not get our tools back there to so repairs. There is just no room that close to the hingepoint of the jaw, unless you have a flip-top head like the old wisdom toothbrush commercials. :). Does it look like just one corner is coming up? If so, they are impacted. Most people's are. If they do not have room in the bone to come up, they will come up as far as they can and stop. Then you have the same cleaning problem where you can't get under the gum tissue to clean them, they decay, abcess, get infected, etc... Getting them out is not the horror bad PR has made it out to be. Its better long term for them to get out of there. And if they were buried in the bone and never came up, there have been studies showing that they can become cancerous and cause other problems as you age. So I say get them looked at. Sorry for the novel, just lots of false info out there. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • HollyBerry - thanks for all the informative info!  I am definitely going to my dentist just to see what they say.  They took xrays back in January and I know I only have two (which I am incredibly greatful for!).  I appreciate your novel  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"