3rd Trimester

Prior cryosurgery and dilation

Hi,

Has anyone heard of failure to dilate due to prior cervical cryosurgery?  I had it done once 11 years ago due to abnormal cells.  I am so scared any scarring I may have will prevent me from dilating properly....thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Prior cryosurgery and dilation

• Yeah, I had some abnormal cells a few years ago. It turned out that I didn't need a LEEP, but I do remember the doc saying that sometimes after LEEP (or similar procedure) dilation can be a problem and people get "stuck" at a certain point. She also said a lot of people don't have any problem at all. I think an incompetent cervix is a more common problem that dilation issues though. It's one of those things where you pretty much just have to wait and see. :(
    image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • I had cryosurgery 2 years ago but have not heard anything about this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • (excusing me for lurking, but thought I could help....)

I had cryotherapy in 2008 and at the time they said nothing about not being able to dilate when if I were to get pregnant. Fast forward I went into labor in 2010 with DS and wasn't even a fingertip dilated at 41 weeks 1 day, due to excessive swelling Dr. decided to induce. To make a long story short I barely got to 4 cm (in 22 hours of labor) and stalled there for close to 8 hours before OB said we're probably just delaying a c-section. I went ahead with the section and afterwards learned that because of the scaring on my cervix I would not dilate properly.

I know this is not common however and my OB said it may have only been a fluke with this pregnancy and with the next I may dilate easier since my cervix was forced to try and dilate with last pregnancy. I would not worry about it until you go into labor though! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a LEEP and learned there were three basic outcomes

1. No problem, no difference than if I never had the LEEP done

2. Dilation would be slowed/stalled due to scar tissue. However, you can advise your OB or midwife of this  possible complication. There are many ways to break up the scar tissue and a c-section is not always necessary.  For example, the scar tissue can be massaged until it breaks, it can be cut or even just kind of pulled apart. My midwife just told me to write it in my birth plan an then feel free to have DH or I remind her when I go into labor and they will make sure to take care of it if it is a problem.

3. Your cervix can also be thinner and this can cause rapid dilation (I am kind of hoping for this outcome...within reason of course!)

• A LEEP is more likely to cause incompetent cervix. Cryo can cause scaring that cause lead to trouble dilating. I had cryo and didn't dilate at first without help. I was manually dialated (by the on call OB) from 1-2, then later when still not progressing from 2-3 and then 3-4. She said I had excessive scar tissue that needed to be broken up. After that I went from 4 to holding my baby in under two hours.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I did have some scar tissue. I dilated to a one on my own and then once I had pitocin things moved along great.
  • cZacZa member
    I had this procedure done twice. My doctor did not mention it but I did not have any progress with my first pregnancy and was induced with cytotec and ptitocin. When going over my history with my nurse when I was admitted for induction she mentioned this may happen. I did struggle to dialate but once I was a 4-5 which took about 15 hours I went to a 9 almost immediately. It was like I broke through the scar tissue. I am hoping not to get induced this time around.

• imagekarinothing:

I had a LEEP and learned there were three basic outcomes

1. No problem, no difference than if I never had the LEEP done

2. Dilation would be slowed/stalled due to scar tissue. However, you can advise your OB or midwife of this  possible complication. There are many ways to break up the scar tissue and a c-section is not always necessary.  For example, the scar tissue can be massaged until it breaks, it can be cut or even just kind of pulled apart. My midwife just told me to write it in my birth plan an then feel free to have DH or I remind her when I go into labor and they will make sure to take care of it if it is a problem.

3. Your cervix can also be thinner and this can cause rapid dilation (I am kind of hoping for this outcome...within reason of course!)

This is what my OB and I discussed...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"